• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

enlisting in reserves

S

silverhorse86

if i go to the recruiters in february do you think it would be possible to make the summer course?

In theory, yes, in practice, don‘t bet on it. Go as early as you possibly can, since though they claim the average is 2-4 months, It can take much longer. Took me 10 months from the day I dropped off my papers to the day I was sworn in. I‘ve known of other people to take longer.. (and conversly, some to get in very quickly, like 2 months..)

it has been 7 months for me and I just got my testing dates.

I walked into the Recruiting office last sept. ,
Just yesterday I finished my last PT test.Thats over a year, as I hope to attend basic in NOV.
Realistically be prepared to wait a while.

What‘s up with this? When I joined (originally in Edmonton) about 4 years ago, it was only about 4-5 weeks from handing in the initial paperwork to being ON basic. Maybe it‘s because I was persistent and annoying to the recruiters ;) (calling a few times a week). I‘ve heard stories that it can take up to a year, and I know of some people that have been successfully recruited in less than a week, so just try to make your appointments on time, get your paperwork in, and try to follow up with the people you can talk to. I don‘t know any better advice than that.

Do it ASAP so that you can maybe do your BMQ during spring, then your SQ and MOC courses in summer.

here for the Western area a hold has been placed on all new recruiting by batallion due to financial constraints. Basically, DND west has gone over budget 25%, and a decision was made to conserve funds for training currently parading personnel. i have been in the loop for 5 months now, and pending, but in in process. Anyone enrolling in June has not even been looked at yet, and apparently won‘t be until an executive decision to continue enrollments. To add to this huge delay, CFRC is short staffed (clerks) to process files, so batallion is moving groups of them around to get the paper work moving in busy centres. I was told that paper movement will begin again in October, but files will still be pending until more funds become available.

Note that this is specific to the reserves.

Ducimus :cdn:

i know that certain units have reached their maximum recruitment allotment, but i also know that our unit swore in 15 new guys just last week, so it can‘t be a brigade-wide thing. what unit were you planning on joining?

4 RCR its an infantry reserve in london ontario. Does the location of the regiment mean anything for joining?

I am going back to the Seaforths here in Vancouver, but if your unit enrolled 15, they must have initially applied before June...which means they were in process. I was just told yesterday that I am being processed, meaning I am going through. The restriction is a brigade wide thing according to CFRC. This came down from command.

the Seaforths, really? You‘ve chosen an excellent unit, I must say ;) . But I haven‘t heard anything about this recruiting restriction. I‘ll give a call to a friend of mine at CFRC and see what the heck is happening.

Cool. Thanks medic...

I am in a little bit of a different category for a couple of reasons with my recruiting, as I am returning to the Seaforths ( I was a private in 1993/94), and I am applying as an officer. I am in regular contact with both the regiment and CFRC, so I am pretty sure about the budget stuff. Too bad really, I went down to the regiment and there were 4 of us on the same night (at stand to a couple of weeks ago) all with previous mititary experience wanting in. I was the most fortunate, as the other guys were basically told that the chances are slim for a while.

You would think something could be done to support former service members coming back. Sure saves costs in the long run (with training, etc.).

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH ANOTHER OFFICER!!!

sorry about that, but our unit right now has more junior officers than NCOs... it‘s like a plague. There are more 2Lts now than MCpls and Sgts combined! What we really need is junior leadership. We have so many officers with so few positions that they‘re trying to make an OCdt a section commander!!! Anyone ever hear of that before?

Hi,
I have a question
I droped my papers like in the begning of september and they said the will call me in october because thats when the GGFG start recurting but my question is what if like they take lonegr then october? then :cdn: can i call them and ask how is my file doing or something because i really can‘t wait to get in and when they do call, would they call and tell me when my test are or what?

OK, just talked to CFRC Vancouver, and they said that there was a hold for the reserves over the summer because all the units were stood down, but now they‘re getting everyone‘s files processed, so the process is speeding up greatly... stay tuned.

For the GGFG guy, a good piece of advice for anything, especially job interviews; If they say they‘ll call you and they don‘t, give them a couple days, then call them. It shows that you‘re still interested. Just don‘t call them every day or they‘ll hunt you down and kill you.

Heh heh heh, actually, combat medic, the reserve recruiters kept telling us to call the CFRC recruiters a couple times a week, so they‘d get sick of our voices and process our applications as quickly as possible to get rid of us... :)

its just im half a credit away from haveing grade 10 and i cant go and enlist until i get that half credit. :crybaby:

Yeah, it is a bit strange that there is a big quest on for junior officers. I actually was going back as an NCM, which I was before, but I was recommended to pursue the officer path, as my degree qualifies me. Some of our 2lt‘s are moving around aswell. I think they may be filling in shortfalls in the administrative process. I am not sure on this, but entry officers are paid less than Mcpl clerks, for example, so there could be a bit of this going on.

It takes a while for people to become an NCO, and with the attrition rate in the reserves, the minimum 3 years of dedicated courses and training to become a Mcpl is a stretch for some people. Add to this a limited number of spaces on courses due to cutbacks, time gets stretched to 4-5 years (as reserve courses are running in the summer).

I agree that we need more NCO‘s, but also think the OCT‘s and 2Lt‘s are increasing to fill in gaps the military is not able to replace with NCO‘s. Perhaps this is the thinking, anyway. CFRC did tell me they are on a push for more officers.....

:mg:

Back