• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fire in Halifax today. North End Pub?

• Thread starter Thread starter mudrecceman
  • Start date Start date
M

mudrecceman

There is an apparantly rather bad fire on Gottigen Street, which I have been told is the North End Pub(directly across from CFB Stadacona).  Here is a pic of our view from Juno Tower, 11th floor, looking towards the waterfront.

Hope no one was hurt.

For those who have never been to/aren't familiar with Halifax at all....here is a picture of the same general area less the smoke and fire...

Holy Smoke !!!!! ::)
Sincerely hope no one was hurt...will watch The National tonight.

Not confirmed, we can't see from our side of Juno but a friend of mine's wife works at Northwood and she said it was indeed North End Pub...more to follow, over.

You must be able to see the smoke from your location 284_226?

Yup, could see it before we left work...and this confirms it:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2007/03/07/pub-fire.html

Sorry to hear that a popular watering hole bite the flame.  :'(  Does that mean more Keith's for me up here?? 
MRM, thanks for the shot of downtown Hfx, didn't realize that I missed it so much. 
Is that Maniac Square in the foreground??
Cheers, BYTD

Generations of sailors are in mourning tonight.  :'(
I was over in Shearwater this afternoon and missed all the excitement. they closed the front gate and cause a bit of a traffic snarl I guess.

BYT Driver said:
Sorry to hear that a popular watering hole bite the flame.  :'(  Does that mean more Keith's for me up here??

Joe Comeau's is legendary with the Navy during lunch hour in Halifax, and a popular hug 'n slug by night.  Probably the initial site of more course parties than the messes, I would believe.  And about the Keith's...

Ummmm....

No.  ;)

MRM, thanks for the shot of downtown Hfx, didn't realize that I missed it so much. 

It is indeed Maniac Square.

BYT Driver said:
Cheers, BYTD

Yup sure is!  Looks almost peaceful in the picture! (almost...)

Well, HLs and I managed to get a peak at it while driving by the main entrance to Stad (inside the base of course).  They are still pouring the water to it, it is still cooking alittle by the look of it.  Looks pretty much gutted.  Cold night for the firefighters to be out there, -13 less windchill?

Brrrrrrrr....

Street is still blocked off, however the "west" gate (not sure what it is called...the one off North Street) is still open. 

I could smell Joe's burning throughout the ship today. For real. The Dockyard was a haze from burning VLT's.

What a sin! First place I ever drank in Nova Scotia.

Damn,

I was first introduced to Joe's by my father during a trip to Halifax during my University days; and made Joe's my home away from home when I got posted there. Sad days indeed.

:'( Hopefully they had insurance and will rebuild.
My niner just mentioned that her dad used to go there when he was in the navy ('62!)And Camilles.
We greive with the Navy this day at the loss of a Halifax, and NATO, landmark.
:salute:

Out of respect, I will refrain from posting a pic of the ruins.

;D

:crybaby:  :crybaby:    Did any beer survive the horrible blaze?  :crybaby:  :crybaby:
  ...oh, the horror...

Old sailors all over Canada, perhaps the world, will mourn the loss of Commeau's. When I was in, - 1960's - no self respecting Wren would go in there, but all our guys did! Condolences!!

:cdn:
Hawk

It is indeed a sad day. For those of you who are interested, here is an article from the local news paper.

http://www.herald.ca/Front/563211.html

Fire flattens popular Halifax tavern
North End Pub razed, nobody hurt
By JOHN GILLIS Staff Reporter

The North End Pub, a Gottingen Street landmark, was destroyed by fire Wednesday afternoon.

Staff said a smoky odour was quickly followed by a major blaze that burned most of the building to the ground within about two hours.

No one was hurt in the fire, but at least two people were left homeless and about 25 watched their workplace crumble.

The building also housed the North End Diner.

Jim Carrey, a cook, said he noticed a smell like cinnamon sticks shortly before 2 p.m. He and a manager looked for the source of the odour but couldn't find anything.

Then they spotted flames between the kitchen and an office, called 911 and ushered patrons out of the bar and dining room.

"It happened so fast, it was unreal," said Mr. Carrey, who has worked at the pub for just over a year. "It was a matter of minutes. The smoke just filled the whole place up."

There was heavy smoke and fire in the building when Halifax regional firefighters arrived, Acting Platoon Chief Pat Keating said. Two groups of firefighters were inside for about 10 minutes but had to be ordered out.

"Its progression was literally exponential," he said. "It really grabbed a hold fast."

Another employee, who didn't want to give his name, said he was relieved everyone got out safe but was mourning the loss of a part of the neighbourhood.

"It's a big piece of history lost here," said the 13-year employee. "I don't know where we're going from this."

At least two men lived in an apartment above the diner. Dennis Rice, a friend and regular visitor to the apartment, said the men were members of a Slayer tribute band called War Ensemble and lost thousands of dollars’ worth of instruments and recording equipment.

Firefighters were hosing down a new six-unit apartment building next to the pub. The fire was perilously close but the building seemed to be safe.

Peter Jabbour, co-owner of the building, arrived to make sure his 15 to 20 tenants were safe. He didn’t know Wednesday afternoon whether those people would be able to return home that evening.

Shortly before 3 p.m. the front walls of the diner at the south end of the building began to collapse. Thick smoke changing from white to grey to black blew south down Gottingen Street and could be seen as far away as Highway 103 near Tantallon.

Half of the marquee, advertising a Wednesday karaoke night hosted by Dan Banfield, melted off soon after 3 p.m. and a loud explosion rang through the neighbourhood 15 minutes later.

Military police from CFB Stadacona, directly across the street, moved back dozens of onlookers, many aiming cellphone cameras at the blaze.

The base’s Gottingen Street gate was closed but work wasn’t affected.

One longtime regular said that sailors from the base made up a large part of the pub’s clientele. "It’s an end of an era," said the man. He said he was a frequent visitor during his 25 years in the navy and that many regulars called the bar Joe Comeau’s after a former owner.

"Everybody used to say, ‘You’re going down to Joe’s for a beer,’ even though it was the North End Pub," he said.

The pub and diner were owned by Grafton Connor Group, which also owns businesses such as the Five Fishermen and the Dome in Halifax. Some Grafton Connor staff were at the scene Wednesday afternoon but wouldn’t comment.

Coun. Patrick Murphy (Halifax North End) said the pub was a great meeting spot.

"It’s a shame," he said. "Hopefully (Grafton Connor) may deem it wise to rebuild."

Gottingen Street was closed between North and Bilby streets, and Almon Street was closed east of Agricola Street for most of the afternoon.

Shortly before 6 p.m. Acting Platoon Chief Keating said there were still flames at the site but the fire was "close to under control."

The cause of the blaze hadn’t been determined, but Divisional Chief Bryson Wilson said fire crews would be at the scene into the evening. He said the bitter cold on Wednesday afternoon, with temperatures feeling like -20 C because of the wind chill, had not caused any problems so far. But water was freezing instantly and had the potential to affect people and equipment.

( jgillis@herald.ca)

Way to go Slayer band. I hope their kit was insured.

I am sure the Grafton Connor Group will rebuild. Joe's seemed to be a pretty happening place. They were packed for breakfasts and they had live music a lot too. Perhaps they will call the place "Joe's"...

It is indeed a sad day. For those of you who are interested, here is an article from the local news paper.

http://www.herald.ca/Front/563211.html

Fire flattens popular Halifax tavern
North End Pub razed, nobody hurt
By JOHN GILLIS Staff Reporter

The North End Pub, a Gottingen Street landmark, was destroyed by fire Wednesday afternoon.

Staff said a smoky odour was quickly followed by a major blaze that burned most of the building to the ground within about two hours.

No one was hurt in the fire, but at least two people were left homeless and about 25 watched their workplace crumble.

The building also housed the North End Diner.

Jim Carrey, a cook, said he noticed a smell like cinnamon sticks shortly before 2 p.m. He and a manager looked for the source of the odour but couldn't find anything.

Then they spotted flames between the kitchen and an office, called 911 and ushered patrons out of the bar and dining room.

"It happened so fast, it was unreal," said Mr. Carrey, who has worked at the pub for just over a year. "It was a matter of minutes. The smoke just filled the whole place up."

There was heavy smoke and fire in the building when Halifax regional firefighters arrived, Acting Platoon Chief Pat Keating said. Two groups of firefighters were inside for about 10 minutes but had to be ordered out.

"Its progression was literally exponential," he said. "It really grabbed a hold fast."

Another employee, who didn't want to give his name, said he was relieved everyone got out safe but was mourning the loss of a part of the neighbourhood.

"It's a big piece of history lost here," said the 13-year employee. "I don't know where we're going from this."

At least two men lived in an apartment above the diner. Dennis Rice, a friend and regular visitor to the apartment, said the men were members of a Slayer tribute band called War Ensemble and lost thousands of dollars’ worth of instruments and recording equipment.

Firefighters were hosing down a new six-unit apartment building next to the pub. The fire was perilously close but the building seemed to be safe.

Peter Jabbour, co-owner of the building, arrived to make sure his 15 to 20 tenants were safe. He didn’t know Wednesday afternoon whether those people would be able to return home that evening.

Shortly before 3 p.m. the front walls of the diner at the south end of the building began to collapse. Thick smoke changing from white to grey to black blew south down Gottingen Street and could be seen as far away as Highway 103 near Tantallon.

Half of the marquee, advertising a Wednesday karaoke night hosted by Dan Banfield, melted off soon after 3 p.m. and a loud explosion rang through the neighbourhood 15 minutes later.

Military police from CFB Stadacona, directly across the street, moved back dozens of onlookers, many aiming cellphone cameras at the blaze.

The base’s Gottingen Street gate was closed but work wasn’t affected.

One longtime regular said that sailors from the base made up a large part of the pub’s clientele. "It’s an end of an era," said the man. He said he was a frequent visitor during his 25 years in the navy and that many regulars called the bar Joe Comeau’s after a former owner.

"Everybody used to say, ‘You’re going down to Joe’s for a beer,’ even though it was the North End Pub," he said.

The pub and diner were owned by Grafton Connor Group, which also owns businesses such as the Five Fishermen and the Dome in Halifax. Some Grafton Connor staff were at the scene Wednesday afternoon but wouldn’t comment.

Coun. Patrick Murphy (Halifax North End) said the pub was a great meeting spot.

"It’s a shame," he said. "Hopefully (Grafton Connor) may deem it wise to rebuild."

Gottingen Street was closed between North and Bilby streets, and Almon Street was closed east of Agricola Street for most of the afternoon.

Shortly before 6 p.m. Acting Platoon Chief Keating said there were still flames at the site but the fire was "close to under control."

The cause of the blaze hadn’t been determined, but Divisional Chief Bryson Wilson said fire crews would be at the scene into the evening. He said the bitter cold on Wednesday afternoon, with temperatures feeling like -20 C because of the wind chill, had not caused any problems so far. But water was freezing instantly and had the potential to affect people and equipment.

( jgillis@herald.ca)

Way to go Slayer band. I hope their kit was insured.

I am sure the Grafton Connor Group will rebuild. Joe's seemed to be a pretty happening place. They were packed for breakfasts and they had live music a lot too. Perhaps they will call the place "Joe's"...

Back