• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Aid / CPR training and certification

bigni

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I released from the mlitary prior to completing the course. However, I did pass my Military First Aid exam. Does anybody know how I could get proof that I am certified?  I realised the material covered in Military First Aid is the same as Standard First Aid with the exception of 3 more units. Who do I talk to regarding this manner?

Any information would be great. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I did not know whereelse to post it.

Thanks!

Jey

A lot of the military courses are run by people from St. John Ambulance.  Try calling the St. John office closest to where you did your course - they may have record of you.

I never got anything stating that i completed this course  ???

Your course is registered in the special center at CFB Borden.
DND has an agreement with St. John so that we get a reduced rate for the first aid course and the back side is that they charge extra for the certificates and wallet cards. This is a cost that most courses and schools will avoid.

Go through your training cell at your unit and have them search it out. I would try at the school that you took your BMQ at for starters.

Actually, is the CF special center in Ottawa.

If you can, attempt to access your instructors and they may be able to assist you.

Hello guys and girls, Im considering going to sait(school) to get my First aid and CPR. But before I do I was wanting to know if I should even bother with it. The Army(infrantry) should provide any first aid / cpr training right? or should I just goto sait for it. Dumb question again but I have nothing else to do.

Yes, you will do some first aid & CPR during basic training, so might as well save your money.

Cheers  :cdn:

swanita said:
Yes, you will do some first aid & CPR during basic training, so might as well save your money.

Cheers  :cdn:

does that qualify you as a first aid qualified person though?

You'll do a test and get a certificate from it.  There are many St John's Ambulance First Aid Instructors in the Forces, and they stay current by instructing to their Units and other Units as requested.

The military doesn't issue first aid certificates, I'm guessing under the logic that it has the record that you've learned it, but you can make a request for them... not entirely sure on the process.

Just a Sig Op said:
The military doesn't issue first aid certificates, I'm guessing under the logic that it has the record that you've learned it, but you can make a request for them... not entirely sure on the process.

yeah you have to pay the 5 dollars to get the card issued. Ask the instructor when you take the course.

Just a Sig Op said:

They don't issue them as it would cost to much and besides according to the DAODs every soldier is suppose to be trained to the standard level of First Aid and Level C CPR, so in theory every soldier you potentially meet is most likely a first aider.  We all know though that people fall through the cracks....but I think there are enough around.

If you need a certificate, for whatever reason talk to your instructor and give them your reason for needing one.  They will most likely not request one for you if you just want it to look at it, but if you have a legit reason they will get it for you.  What they do is email the Ottawa Special Center and request one.  From there Ottawa goes over to St. John's and gets the certificate and then sends it to your instructor who will give it to you.  It a fairly painless process, but can take some time depending on how swamped the special center is

When I did BMQ everyone received their St. John's ambulance first aid certificate free of charge.

Just to clear this up a bit....You don't get the certificate/card from the CF, but from St John's Ambulance.

Being a reserverist, a first aid certificate comes in handy civvie side... last time I did the course, the instructor asked who wanted a certificate, naturally, the bulk of the students raised their hands, so everyone raised their hands. About a month later, they all arrived, free of charge.

They are always free of charge for the students...The CF still pays for them though.  That is why most units don't get them for their soldiers.

George Wallace said:
Just to clear this up a bit....You don't get the certificate/card from the CF, but from St John's Ambulance.
nawk said:
When I did BMQ everyone received their St. John's ambulance first aid certificate free of charge.

Everyone go here www.sja.ca now tell me what you see.  What should I see you ask? Well it is St JOHN Amublance.  St. John's is a City in the Maritimes.  Sorry, I volunteer for the St. John Amublance Brigade, and it is a pet peeve of mine.  ;)

Back