• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

Cat

Member
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just wanted to share a new rule that some may not yet be aware of. The CO of CFLRS has recently signed a new mandate requiring candidates to pass a minimum number of pushups in week zero of BMQ to continue regular training.

It's a great idea, but for some it means they will be joining RFT(the Recruit Fitness Training program) when they had not planned on going thorough this program as until recently you could outright fail any single strength component of the PT test in week zero and still continue training.

For females you must do five proper pushups and males must do 10, approximately half of the passing number.
 
M

MikeL

Guest
I'd be shocked if people trying to join the Military can't pass those weak standards... but than again I'm surprised people fail the Express Test.
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
0
Points
0
-Skeletor- said:
I'd be shocked if people trying to join the Military can't pass those weak standards... but than again I'm surprised people fail the Express Test.

I'm surprised at the ages of those who fail, and the ages of those who pass.
 

Cat

Member
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
You'd be surprised, alot of people have issues with the pushups, either lack of upperbody strength or just bad form. Bad form (too wide hands or not low enough) are big issues.

Alot of the RFT program is under 35 from what I've seen, and most are their for their pushups and/or run(or in the case of the tiny people pushups/handgrip). The over 35s tend to be in their late 40s and are their for their run/pushups as well.

Edited for additional information/comments
 

canadian_moose

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Cat said:
Just wanted to share a new rule that some may not yet be aware of. The CO of CFLRS has recently signed a new mandate requiring candidates to pass a minimum number of pushups in week zero of BMQ to continue regular training.

It's a great idea, but for some it means they will be joining RFT(the Recruit Fitness Training program) when they had not planned on going thorough this program as until recently you could outright fail any single strength component of the PT test in week zero and still continue training.

For females you must do five proper pushups and males must do 10, approximately half of the passing number.

I thought it was 19 push ups for males and 10 push ups for females
 

Cat

Member
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The new rule repaces the continue training rule for BMQ (used to be you could fail one strength(pushups/situps or handgrip) in week zero,now  if you fail pushups you must have at least 5(female) or 10 (male) to continue training. You must pass the full standard by the end of the course or you go to RFT instead of graduating.

so if you fail

run= RFT
pushups (<5 / <10) = RFT
pushups (>5/>10) alone = continue training
situps(alone) = continue training
handgrip (alone) = continue training

or any two strengths = RFT

Does that make sense? keeping in mind that of course everyone must pass everything before they leave BMQ.


 

Celticgirl

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I think this is a good amendment. The standards are pretty low as it is, and I say this as someone who struggles greatly with push-ups. Ten push-ups for males or females is not a lot to ask, IMHO.

I am curious about something else...does anyone ever fail the sit-up or handgrip portion of the Expres?

George Wallace said:
I'm surprised at the ages of those who fail, and the ages of those who pass.

I'm also wondering what you meant by the above comment, George. Can you elaborate?
 

Cat

Member
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Celticgirl said:
I think this is a good amendment. The standards are pretty low as it is, and I say this as someone who struggles greatly with push-ups. Ten push-ups for males or females is not a lot to ask, IMHO.

I am curious about something else...does anyone ever fail the sit-up or handgrip portion of the Expres?

CG - yes I've worked with several people who failed the handgrip portion, and it is one of the hardest things for people to improve if they fail by more then 10ish pounds. I've known a couple of people who failed the situps as well, usually because of weight/girth or one guy because he had damaged an abdominal muscle and it was very weak when he joined.
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Celticgirl said:
I'm also wondering what you meant by the above comment, George. Can you elaborate?

It usually comes as a shock to most new Instructors at how many young people are in such poor physical condition.  It is also seen at Cbt Arms units, where in the majority of cases, the older guys are out performing the young kids in PT.  There are exceptions, but in general, it is a very sad comment on the physical state of our 'youth' today........for the past twenty, or more,  years.
 

Celticgirl

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Cat said:
CG - yes I've worked with several people who failed the handgrip portion, and it is one of the hardest things for people to improve if they fail by more then 10ish pounds. I've known a couple of people who failed the situps as well, usually because of weight/girth or one guy because he had damaged an abdominal muscle and it was very weak when he joined.

Interesting. I imagine handgrip would indeed be hard to improve.

George Wallace said:
It usually comes as a shock to most new Instructors at how many young people are in such poor physical condition.  It is also seen at Cbt Arms units, where in the majority of cases, the older guys are out performing the young kids in PT.  There are exceptions, but in general, it is a very sad comment on the physical state of our 'youth' today........for the past twenty, or more,  years.

I thought that might be what you meant, but wasn't sure. Yes, there are lots of out-of-shape people, of all ages, but I agree that it's especially surprising to see how unfit many in the younger generations are now. 
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Handgrip test is very easy to fail.  It requires one to adjust the device to their grip prior to doing the test.  Most do not.  Without adjusting the device to their grip, they will most likely fail the test.
 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
20
Points
430
canadian_moose said:
I thought it was 19 push ups for males and 10 push ups for females

The requirements to pass the Week 0 PT test do not follow the exact requirements of the EXPRES test.  Previous standard is found here.

Basically, the OP is stating that the previous standard of being able to fail the push up component of the strength test is now superseded with the requirements she stated for the Week 0 PT test for BMQ/IAP IAW with the new CO CFLRS.  Everything else should stand.

I'll check out the published SOP Tuesday and update as required.

However, some good information is also found here.

 

Celticgirl

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
George Wallace said:
The Handgrip test is very easy to fail.  It requires one to adjust the device to their grip prior to doing the test.  Most do not.  Without adjusting the device to their grip, they will most likely fail the test.

Does the staff assist candidates with this adjustment?
 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
20
Points
430
Celticgirl said:
Does the staff assist candidates with this adjustment?

The PSP staff will, but if they don't, make sure you ask them. (Your Course staff will likely be watching from the upper seating area).
 

Celticgirl

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Eye In The Sky said:
The PSP staff will, but if they don't, make sure you ask them. (Your Course staff will likely be watching from the upper seating area).

Good to know. I'll remember that, thanks.
 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
20
Points
430
To answer any further questions...specifically on the hand grip test, this following is taken from the CF EXPRES OPERATIONS MANUAL, 3rd Edition.  I can't verify this is the latest version of the manual, however the information should be valid.

Any questions anyone has over how the tests are conducted should be able to be answered by reading this 17 page document, if you are so inclined.

For the hand grip portion of the test:

Hand Grip Protocol
59. Once the aerobic component has been completed, the muscular strength test is carried out. The handgrip measurement is an indicator of overall muscular strength. The following procedure will be used for all members:
a. Have the member grasp the dynamometer in the appropriate hand. The grip is taken between the fingers and the palm, at the base of the thumb. Adjust the grip of the dynamometer so the second joint of the fingers should fit snuggly under the handle and take the weight of the instrument. Lock the grip in place;
b. The dynamometer is held in line with the forearm at the level of the thigh, away from the body (at no more then a 45 degree angle), and then squeezed vigorously so as to exert maximum force. Have the member exhale while squeezing (to avoid build up of intrathoracic pressure);
c. During the test neither the hand nor the dynamometer should be allowed to touch the body or any other object. Measure both hands alternately allowing two trials per hand. Record scores for each hand to the nearest kilogram in Section E of DND 279;and
d. Record the best score for each hand under score. Then, add the best score for each hand and record as a single score, to the nearest “0.1kg” under “total”. Insert MPFS score in space marked MPFS.




 

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
60
Points
530
Last PT test I did, I couldn't use the 45 degree thing.  I had to start in the vertical.  Was it administered correctly?
 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
20
Points
430
SupersonicMax said:
Last PT test I did, I couldn't use the 45 degree thing.  I had to start in the vertical.  Was it administered correctly?

Honestly?  I have no idea.  I've had to do it both ways, at the same Fitness Center (Stad) but 2 different PSP staff members on the same staff, and the 2 EXPRES test were not even 3 months apart (1 in March at the end of the FY and the next was for my OT). 

I can't confirm that the 3rd Edition is the latest and greatest either. 
 

Drag

Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
This year during my express test we were told to find a comfortable angle and squeeze without movement.  Every other time before you were allowed to bring it down while squeezing....  When did that change?
 

Adamant

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Drag said:
This year during my express test we were told to find a comfortable angle and squeeze without movement.  Every other time before you were allowed to bring it down while squeezing....  When did that change?

I'm not sure on the when, but the why (at least what the PSP staff told us this year) was that people were bumping the grip device on their thighs on the way down, giving an inaccurate result on the meter.

Whether this is fact or not I can't say.

And on Cat's and CG's comments about improving, it's not all that hard, all you need is a $5-10 spring handgrip.  Look for one with a bit of a harder wound spring.  They suck as far as actually working out your grip but it will be more than enough to get you over the Expres test requirement.

Cheers
 
Top