• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flat Feet

S

silverhorse86

will having flat feet effect my enlisting in the canadian armed forces? I know that in the states its only severe cases that are not accepted and i only have a slight flatness in my feet and if i was american would not have a problem. I was just wondering if this was the same for canada.

I know this has nothing to do with the question, but I remember reading that people with flat feet could walk/run/march long distances with more fewer incidents of stress fractures, as compared to the rest of us.

Hey,

I have flat feet according to the Canadian Forces (it‘s a pretty slightly condition) and I had no problem getting in. It should not be a large concern.

Good luck!

Flat feet are fine, but you should have a pair of orthotics (if needed) to put in your boots. If you join the regs, they can be prescribed and provided for you, but in the reserves you need to have your own.

Yes, people with flat feet may have less stress fractures, but they tend to have more other foot problem, harder times wearing shoes, and have to buy expensive orthotics.

I‘ve got fallen arches, and am wondering if that‘s going to prevent me from getting into the forces... If i get corrective insoles will it still be an issue?

Thanks
-Greg

Nothing to worry about man. You can still get into the CF with flatfeet. Years ago you couldnt.
But you have to realize that with having flat feet, there will be more strain on your back and hips when u are running/marching and when u are on your feet for long periods of time.
But if you can find inserts for shoes that will help you out, then go for it

Apply!!!

For those who made it through basic military training, do you have any suggestions or recommendations for running shoes, padded insoles, general orthotics, or ankle braces? Frequent daily long distance running might be tough on the feet for the average recruit. How did you minimize ankle pain, shin splints, and problems like that?

I find that an insole that is gel filled works very well minimizing shin splits and other problems up in the hips, back area
You sldo want a running shoe that is gonna brace your ankle somewhat to reduce rolling your ankles if they are weak. also when you are running, learning to land your foot is a good way of minimizing fatigue on your feet as well.

I always run on my toes (well the front of my feet) is that good over long distances? I suppose I could just go try it out...

if u have ever watched an olympic runner run, then u will notice that they land their feet right close to the ball of their foot, using the rest of their foot as a shock absorber. cause if u were to land on your heel all the time, u sure would be sore after a while

Mike78, what unit are you in? I didn’t think the policy on flat feet changed. In any case, telling someone that there is “Nothing to worry about man. You can still get into the CF with flatfeet. Years ago you couldn’t. But you have to realize that with having flat feet, there will be more strain on your back and hips when u are running/marching and when u are on your feet for long periods of time. But if you can find inserts for shoes that will help you out, then go for it.
Apply!!!” might not be in the guy’s best interest. Anyone thinking of joining needs to discuss this kind of issue with the recruiter who has all the relevant information.

listen buddy....THAT is what i was told by the CFRC, so dont go blowing your horn about me giving misleading info. If a guy with flatfeet wants to join, then he has every given right to do so. Not you nor anyone else like you could stop him. HE just needs to know that there is more strain on a persons hips and back that has flatfeet.

You dont believe me, then i suggest you contact Sergeant <Name deleted, used without permission>

You probably shouldn‘t beak off to people who out rank you in the army, the board, and pretty much life all around.

OK buddy, how about you give this sergeant’s phone number, as I don’t have a Thunder Bay phone book handy. The Recruiting Centre down here in Windsor suggests differently. I’d like to talk to Sgt Rasmussen to see if things are different up there. By the way, a friend in Ottawa who, for reasons that are none of your business, can’t get involved in this brought your post to my attention because I am a moderator on this site. My questioning your post isn’t a personal thing. If you are just passing on information you were given, fine, mention that as well. These cases are viewed individually.

By the way, just because someone wants to join doesn’t give him or her the right to. They can to apply but there are certain things this job demands and a person must be physically able to do them.

Good luck with your tests and if you suck at sit-ups, work harder. The other people in whatever unit you get into will want results, not excuses. This is a performance-orientated job; no one cares why you can’t do something, only that you can’t do it.

Now the comment that “If a guy with flatfeet wants to join, then he has every given right to do so. Not you nor anyone else like you could stop him.” I took a quick scan of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the right to be in the army wasn’t there, so who gives them the right? Now the comment that me or anyone else like me couldn’t stop someone from joining isn’t exactly accurate, now is it. You have no idea about anyone on this board, what he or she does or whom he or she does it for. And I’m willing to bet that you know jack**** about me and what I’m “like”. So when you are stating things as fact, keep your opinions out of it or at least report them as your opinions and let others draw whatever conclusions from it that they will.

Nice display of restraint, ARG.. I was expecting the worst... ;)

I also have flat feet. I do use an insert in my regular combat boot, but the wet weather boots seem to have good arch support in them. Just my opinion though. The only time I feel and discomfort is after doing drill for a long peroid of time. As far as PT and running shoes, I have found through my own trial and error that, Nikes or Newbalence offer great support. I have big feet (size 15) and I find that if you want a quaility shoe you have to spend quality money. When I joind the reserves 2 years ago and when I recetenly did my componat trasfer medical testing, I told them I had flat feet. They said no problem. Wheather this changes from region to region I don‘t know. Or maybye it just got changed, Again I don‘t know.
Just thought I‘d throw my 2 cents worth in.
Jeff D

I would go and shoot my mouth off in here, but I dont feel like into trouble with Mike Bobbitt. But first things first ARG. Dont call me buddy. I aint your buddy and never will be.
AS for your Charter of Rights Book, well Im sure you know what you can do with it, cause im sure many of people have told you where to shove it. This guy does have the rights to join the army, and when he does HE will be told about certain requirements that MAY NOT allow him into the army.
Second, I dont think you are that great of a Moderator on this site, cause a TRUE moderator would have spoken to another personnel of this site with decency, and respect. I guess you dont know what they are.

But like i said before, im not going to go on about this crap, unlike you. I have much better things to do.

Very classy, Mike78. I would worry less about Mr. Bobbitt, and more about your peers. We have some pretty harsh disagreements on this board, but people usually manage to keep their cool. ARG disagreed with class, but you sound like a troubled teen more suited for reform school, than a grown man in the military......show some restraint, and any valid points you make will carry far more weight

Back