• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

SYEP. Walked in the door sometime in May. Paperwork, part I, off to a contracted doc for part II, sworn in, started course in July. Didn't release at end of summer. No additional admin that I can recall.

[For those wondering: no, there was no psychological screening.]

Walked in the door in Mewata. Volunteered my services. CO asked me if I wanted to become an officer. I told him I would be happy to help out if that's where he needed me. Marched over to the unit MO (a psychiatrist volunteering his time). Declared fit. Attested and told to turn up next week. My training officer, the night I was attested, handed me a pair of his old combats and a pair of boots were scrounged. Showed up the following week in the combats with no headdress. Rushed to stores. Balmoral clapped on top. Joined the ORs in the classroom learning whatever it was they were learning. Fell in in the ranks when they did. Spent the rest of the year learning with the ranks. After a couple of months the CO informed me my parchment had arrived. I returned to class. Dragged out of class (where I had got my first salute) to the Officer's Mess where I was told that I owed everyone a round ..... and then another one for having kept the CO waiting.

Security clearances done sometime that first year. A trip to the stores at Currie. Officer type training from the Adj, the RSM and the OC Training Coy. And off to the Ontario Hydro training facility at Orangeville, ON for my first two week MITCP session.

And so began my short, and insubstantial, military career.

Fortunately the Sea Cadets had taught me how to salute, march and iron my gear.

That infamous British sergeant I had when I first joined - he hated the great coveralls. He just had us attend in some thing that looked somewhat professional but was also comfortable, until we had uniforms issued any chance to draw kit.

I haven’t thought about that guy in years to be honest. And then the other day I thought of him because of something I read on here. I think about it the more I chuckle. (I joined in 2000, the day after my 16th birthday, as a reservist.)

One MCpl ‘aspiring to be a Sergeant one day’ quietly approached him while he was standing about with his hands in his pockets, watching and tailoring some of our basic drills…

“Sorry Sarge, but we can’t have our hands in our pockets. The CO is right over there!”

Our sarge… “F**k off…” In the thickest of British accents. End of convo.

Another poor soul sent his way another night… “The QM wants to know if you want the new recruits in grey coveralls, so everybody is looking uniform…?”

Our sarge - “ The gray coveralls look dumb, they didn’t join up to look like janitors. No.” End of convo.

Sgt Tucker & Sgt Lapthorne were the only 2 guys in the entire armoury (also Mewata) that weren’t intimidated by him & could joke about. Not that our Sarge ever intentionally intimidated anybody, he was just a scary guy on the surface 😅

Still in Mewata - sent by Adj to make a request of the RSS Sgt.

The Sgt responded: DILLIGAS!

When I proceeded to look puzzled he took pity on me.

He informed me that DILLIGAS! could be roughly translated as "Do I Look Like I Give A Shit!" .... "Sir."

I returned to the Adj.

Still in Mewata - sent by Adj to make a request of the RSS Sgt.

The Sgt responded: DILLIGAS!

When I proceeded to look puzzled he took pity on me.

He informed me that DILLIGAS! could be roughly translated as "Do I Look Like I Give A Shit!" .... "Sir."

I returned to the Adj.
Was his last name Reaper by chance??

(No, I kid you not. Our super scary yet awesome British Army turned Canadian Army Sgt… his last name was Reaper. Go figure.)

Not Reaper. Long time before your time

CO Paul Hughes
Adj Dennis Mascardelli
RSM Marty McCumber
CSM Joe Doucette
Training Officers Derek Nice and Rob Rooney.

ca 1980

Gentlemen all.

Not my intent at all - the point was the 031 is physically hard - and churn should be encouraged to other trades.
It gives everyone a base understand of ground combat at the rudimentary level - which can be used later, when when Cpl Bloggins is on a supply run and the convoy is ambushed - he at least has a background to know fire and maneuver.

You will see more and more Asymetrical battlefields with the dispersed Multi-domain operation concepts current being conducted by the Allies.

It also ensures that everyone starts off on a level playing field.
Surely you mean 001-01, and I’m off to my pedant cave again.

Pedant?

Hold my beer.

Your number is wrong…and there is no hyphen.

MOSID 00010 - INFMN.

A-MD-154-000/FP-000, Annex D, Appendix 1 refers: 😉

karate kid GIF

Soon there won’t be any point in warfare between states at all. (Not that there ever really was… 99% of the world’s problems could be solved if people just sat down, listened to each other, and worked together for common good.)

But. Alas. My imaginary world doesn’t exist.

But if everything is automated, there isn’t any real price to pay for warfare. Even if one side’s uncrewed systems completely overwhelm another’s…. Eventually the other side will just manufacture more of their own.

Each side can produce unmanned systems in mass quantities, and replace destroyed systems quickly.

Any territory lost can be regained eventually, and that line will be moving back and forth based on industrial capacity alone.

Attachments

• OS_E_INFTR_010.pdf
    478.5 KB · Views: 6
Hold my beer pitcher.

Your number is right, but your occupation name is wrong, probably because your reference is dated from 2017.

MOSID 00010 - Infanteer (INFTR)

Do I win?
For now, Infantrymanteer, for now…
1636314289601.gif

Hold my beer pitcher.

Your number is right, but your occupation name is wrong, probably because your reference is dated from 2017.

MOSID 00010 - Infanteer (INFTR)

Do I win?

Which is also a postal code for the region NE of Rome:

Soon there won’t be any point in warfare between states at all. (Not that there ever really was… 99% of the world’s problems could be solved if people just sat down, listened to each other, and worked together for common good.)

But. Alas. My imaginary world doesn’t exist.

But if everything is automated, there isn’t any real price to pay for warfare. Even if one side’s uncrewed systems completely overwhelm another’s…. Eventually the other side will just manufacture more of their own.

Each side can produce unmanned systems in mass quantities, and replace destroyed systems quickly.

Any territory lost can be regained eventually, and that line will be moving back and forth based on industrial capacity alone.
High Power EW systems will reduce most systems to Ash - and even highly shielded systems will be pretty useless unless they have some sort of AI/ML function that can operate independent from "controller" instructions - which of course gets us to Terminator and SkyNet -- we will build the machines that destroy us...

High Power EW systems will reduce most systems to Ash - and even highly shielded systems will be pretty useless unless they have some sort of AI/ML function that can operate independent from "controller" instructions - which of course gets us to Terminator and SkyNet -- we will build the machines that destroy us...
Between super volcanoes potentially erupting & killing off massive amounts of vegetation/animals, creating AI that is faster, smarter, and progresses in maturity and complexity exponentially faster than we can - and is connected to ever thing via internet - screwing around with viruses we have no business tampering with, a giant space rock (just takes one), astronomical phenomena that could destroy us in the blink of an eye, etc etc.

I don’t want to sound doom & gloom. But realistically I’m not sure about our odds…

If Skynet takes me out? Man, I’ll just have to chuckle and say “I didn’t see that coming…” once I wake up on the other sice 😅

Back