• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Found: Mag & Rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog

Inactive
Reaction score
What should I do with 'em?

I've got a mag from a C7 and a few 5.56 rounds to go with it.... I don't want these things in my possession if they are restricted (which the mag is). Where can I turn it in?

That is exactly what amnesty boxes are for. They are the Red Boxes found all over bases. If you are now out of the CF then go to any base and turn the stuff in. Just that easy.

GF

I dunno, do they?

I'll be at Borden a week from now... are you saying I should bring it with me? Should I just bring it by NDHQ and turn it over to the MP's there?

Most MP shacks I ever been around do, for that matter most unit lines have them as well.

Every Armoury has them as well.  If there is no place around, I'm sure the local police will handle it for you.  Depending how you got it to begin with, that could be an option.

If you can't find an amnesty box, just go to your local police station and explain.  I would keep the magazine to turn it in to a military establishment.

All of the ottawa units have amnesty boxes in them. 

Sigh,

do not keep the stuff. If you were issued the mag then keep it and turn in when you do the rest of your eis. If you "found" it then go to the Chartier Square Drill Hall (It is the big Reg Building across from the NAC. Half way down the walk way on the left side of the parade square is or was an amnesty box. If it is not there then just give it in at the OR and they will take care of it for you.

There problem solved

GF

Dog said:
I'll be at Borden a week from now... are you saying I should bring it with me?
I would not travel with it.  Go to the nearest armouries or base.  Drop it in an amnesty box or deliver it to the MPs (be prepared to answer questions about how/where you found it should you choose any route other than the amnesty box).

The problem that I can see you running into is trying to fit the magazine into the amnesty box. That will be fairly amusing for anyone watching, as, if memory serves, the opening is not (normally) designed to take anything bigger than small arms ammo (up to .50 cal). We used to joke about taking 105mm tank rounds that we found in the tank after exercise (don't ask, don't tell.....) and jamming them into the amnesty box. I guess you had to be there.

Do NOT listen to anyone's suggestion to throw them into the Amnesty Bush. My suggestion is to bring them into the MP's. I'm hoping that these are blank rounds you are talking about, though in reality it doesn't make a difference (unless a JAG or MP can tell us otherwise).

I think phoning your local RCMP/OPP/city police detachment, if you can't find the number for the nearest MP shack would probably be the wisest choice, because being caught with these things in your possession while traveling to the local armouries/base isn't probably going to work out too favourably ("Honest officer, I was just going to turn these in......").

Al

Do what RN PRN said if you are in Ottawa.  Go into the Cartier Square Armouries and drop it at the amnesty box or at the OR.  Amnesty box would be best for the rounds, give the mag to the OR.
Amnesty boxes are for returning honest mistakes.  Cops are for reporting theft.  Chose the right one.

If you're nervous about getting in trouble over any aspect of it, dump the rounds in an amnesty box, then turn the mag in to the first NCO you know who'll take it- there's no particular need to be formal about it, any NCO of yours should be willing to help you out with this, and with this you'll only be handing in a mag, not rounds. Less potential trouble there. I'm not saying bug the first person with chevrons and a leaf who you run into outside NDHQ, but if you go into Cartier Square there should be someone in one of the QMs who will take it, or at least someone who can point you in the right direction. And of course if you prefer, there is always the MP shack at NDHQ.

If you do decide to go to the MPs with it, I'd advise calling first so nobody can plausibly make a fuss of having 'caught' you with it. Some record of your intention to hand it in before anyone else sees it should suffice should someone decide to be stupid about things.

How did this come into your posession anyway, if you don't mind my asking?

Actually, now that I think about it I can conjure a mental image of a half dozen NCOs standing halway across a parade square watching in curiosity as a troop tries to shove an actual mag into the amnesty box. Which begs the question; what's the weirdest thing anyone's ever reported finding in one?

Jesus H, never mind all this BS, take it to the nearest MP's and say you found it while you were doing PT. They'll likely toss it in the Amnesty Box for you. It's not like you found a nuclear warhead. Fergedaboudid.  ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back