• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From Unmanned to Uncrewed: Moving away from gender-based terminology

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Not really sure where to put this, but this section seems best suited for it.

This past year, the Joint Terminology Panel (JTP) took its first step towards moving the Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces (DND/CAF) away from gender-based terminology.

The JTP is the review body for all operations-related terminology proposals.

The meeting, in partnership with Transport Canada, was called to review terminology associated with unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). However, the meeting grew into a broader discussion about moving away from gender bias in terminology more generally.

The word unmanned was identified as being gender-based and non-representative of all genders. Simply put, it is outdated in today’s context.

“While it wasn’t the intent of the meeting,” said Scott Van Will, Director Defence Information Management Planning, “we’re glad to have taken that very important first step away from gender-based terminology.”

As a result, the word unmanned has been changed to uncrewed, in respect to the autonomous and remotely operated vehicles.

The word unmanned is still used within the United Nations, but it is hoped that DND/CAF’s adoption of uncrewed will inspire other nations to do the same.

I thought that the "U" in JUSTAS stood for "uninhabited".

So we were already gender neutral.

Tell me, Is the JTP run by yet another general? ... with a staff? ... and this is what they have accomplished?

Oh wait. .... There's a French translation as well ... "véhicule sans pilote" ... well that explains why they've been working on this for decades.

🤦‍♂️

I thought that the "U" in JUSTAS stood for "uninhabited".

So we were already gender neutral.

Tell me, Is the JTP run by yet another general? ... with a staff? ... and this is what they have accomplished?

Oh wait. .... There's a French translation as well ... "véhicule sans pilote" ... well that explains why they've been working on this for decades.

🤦‍♂️
Does it really matter that much if we slowly change our lexicon to use more inclusive language?

Can you do it without costing the taxpayer a fortune?? Very very unlikely.........probably about the same speed, cost, and effectiveness as OP Honour.

Does it really matter that much if we slowly change our lexicon to use more inclusive language?
I'm a great fan of inclusive language.

My point is it should have changed years ago and should not have required the convening of a "panel" and doesn't merit a media bulletin.

The problem that I see is that we're such a calcified bunch that we need a plodding, bureaucratic process to make the blindingly obvious happen.

🍻

Back