• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ft Bliss Blue on Blue

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Errant tank round wounded a soldier during a live fire exercise.

https://www.stripes.com/blogs/from-the-archives/army-investigating-after-one-tank-fires-on-another-at-fort-bliss-injuring-one-soldier-1.639030

WASHINGTON — A Fort Bliss soldier was injured last week when his tank was struck by an errant round fired by another tank during a live-fire exercise on the southwestern Texas installation, Army officials said Monday.

The soldier suffered injuries that were not considered life-threatening and had been released from the hospital by Monday, said Lt. Col. Lindsey Elder, a spokeswoman for Fort Bliss’ 1st Armored Division.

In an update the incident was between 2 Abrams at 2600m using a training round.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-army-m1a2-abrams-tank-203000395.html

I'm really glad the guy is okay.  Really sucks to lose people, especially in random freak training accidents that aren't anybody's fault. 

I have seen enough training  exercises go pear shaped and then the witch hunt begins because there must be a fall guy. 8)

tomahawk6 said:
I have seen enough training  exercises go pear shaped and then the witch hunt begins because there must be a fall guy. 8)

Not unique to American forces, either. Canada has had a number of them as well, sadly.

Good2Golf said:
Not unique to American forces, either. Canada has had a number of them as well, sadly.

Yup, dude I know down the street got lit up by a C9 on a night time live fire attack. Ended up med releasing, and the guy on the gun was court martialed.

Good2Golf said:

In an almost 42 year career I had a number of close calls on training ranges.  They are split about 75%/20%/5% US/CAF/Other nations ranges.

Good2Golf said:

Buddy of mine was fragged and nearly killed in Suffield on EX COX’S FOLLY when someone (not engineers) decided to BIP a dud about 200 yds from where we were parked.

Back