• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Glowing bugs could find landmines

Antoine

Inactive
Reaction score
One of several technologies under development to find landmines. I don't know if it is a reasonable one.

From BBC news:

"Bacteria which glow green in the presence of explosives could provide a cheap and safe way to find hidden landmines, Edinburgh scientists claim. The bugs can be mixed into a colourless solution, which forms green patches when sprayed onto ground where mines are buried. Edinburgh University said the microbes could be dropped by air onto danger areas. Within a few hours, they would indicate where the explosives can be found."

www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8362066.stm

Antoine said:
One of several technologies under development to find landmines. I don't know if it is a reasonable one.

From BBC news:

"Bacteria which glow green in the presence of explosives could provide a cheap and safe way to find hidden landmines, Edinburgh scientists claim. The bugs can be mixed into a colourless solution, which forms green patches when sprayed onto ground where mines are buried. Edinburgh University said the microbes could be dropped by air onto danger areas. Within a few hours, they would indicate where the explosives can be found."

www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8362066.stm

Sounds very feasible.  I recently wrote an article about the current bee population in steep decline and risking a third of our food source.  It was interesting to find out in my research that some bomb squads and scientists were testing bees for the use of finding bombs located in buildings.  Apparently, they have a nose for it ;) 
Anything that will save human life, I'm in favor of.

GO GLOW BUGS!

Back