• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Great war medals that i found

Jonny Boy

Inactive
Reaction score
i was looking at my dads collection of war medals and i saw he had a set that was from the great war. there are three of them the military medal, the British war medal, and the victory medal. all the medals have the same name. what it says on thewar medal and the victory medal is 31605 Pte D.WRIGHT. HIGH. L.I. On the Military Medal it says 31605 Pte - L. Cpl D.WRIGHT. 12/ HIGH. L.I. 

why is the Military medal slightly different than the other two?  also how much is a MM worth?
(not that i would ever sell it)

My dad got these medals from a lady that my Nana worked with. they were her fathers

i am going to try and get them polished and framed so they will be kept in good condition.

The Military Medal was awaded for bravery:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group01/mm

MMs, individually or in a group, can sell for a few hundred dollars to a collector up to over a thousand, depending on the desireability of the individual or his regiment's artifacts.

As part of framing them and keeping them you should also research them to identify exactly who's medals they are and get the citation for the MM to frame as well.

Don't clean them, they look best with their naturally aged patina (and keep their best vaue that way).

why would the military medal have some diffrent markings on it than the other 2 medals?  they were all awarded to the same guy.  i was also looking on ebay and the military medal alone was going for around  $500.00. the other 2 are about $40.00 each.all together and all with the same name it is about a  $600.00 set that i stumbled upon

The medals will have different markings on them because they would have been awarded at different times.  A person very seldom will be awarded more than one medal at a time.  In your case, we see that D. Wright was a Pte at one time and on another he was a L/Cpl.  Also the abbreviation of his unit is slightly different, again due to a space in time and probably different manufacture.

GW

Just a guess, George is probably right. The MM would have been issued during the war while the other two would not have been issued till after the war. 12/ High L.I. probably refers to the 12th Bn Highland Light Infantry recruited from the Glasgow area of Scotland.. L.Cpl. is an appointment and as such would cease when he was discharged and the man would become a Private again.

Aye Dileas

-Hutch- said:
how much is a MM worth?
(not that i would ever sell it)

i am going to try and get them polished and framed so they will be kept in good condition.

How much are they worth?
How do you put a price on history, on the personal sacrifice that earned him those medals.
I'm glad to read that you would never sell them and that you intend to have them polished and framed.
Any good frame shop should be able to do it for you, just make sure you tell him you want UV proof glass in the frame.

I had my fathers medals framed and I have never been sorry for doing it.
The only problem I had was trying to get them insured on my home policy.
The insurance company couldn't figure out how to put a value on them.
The insurance agent asked me how much I thought they were worth and I said "How much money does your company have?"

i know these medals are priceless. i was just wondering what the price would be for the medal at like an army shop or to a collector.

thanks for the advise i need to get them framed along with my grandpa's, great grandpa's, and my papa's

Back