• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gwagon for reserves delayed.

Gayson

Inactive
Reaction score
News from my CO, this is in regards to my unit, but I suspect it will effect every armoured regiment in atleast LFCA.

Due to the requirement for more C&R LUVW's in afghanistan, we won't be getting our allotment scheduled for January.   It's thought that the new allotment day will occur sometime around October 06.

gayson, what did i tell ya?!  ;)

Surprise Surprise Surprise...

I heard the same info from our ASU maintainer sgt.  Boy, there's a shocker!

Unfortunately your CO is right, because 70+ C&R went to Afghanistan, and we are rebuilding the second line of ops equipment in order to have it ready to go if required.  Look at the bright side, approx 10 per month are coming off the assembly line as we speak.  As well, on an even brighter side, thanks to uparmoured vehs in theatre, things like last weekend's incident occurred and the vehicle saved the crews' lives.  The old adage operational necessity comes up here and is a hard card to trump

KevinB, that was COLD!!!!!  I suppose you like poking bee hives with a stick to. ;D

Wow. I was at the aurora armoury about a month ago picking up an application, and was told that I would probably be one of the first to use them... I'm hoping for the February 2007 co-op...  :p

Out of curiosity, what will happen in the meantime? I only saw two Iltis at Aurora and I wasn't the only one that thought they were on their last legs...

ShawnSmith said:
Wow. I was at the aurora armoury about a month ago picking up an application, and was told that I would probably be one of the first to use them... I'm hoping for the February 2007 co-op...   :p

Out of curiosity, what will happen in the meantime? I only saw two Iltis at Aurora and I wasn't the only one that thought they were on their last legs...

i dont even think the unit has been told yet...

Im hoping the unit can hold onto an iltis or 15 until then  ;), but if not... could be mounted MILCOT/LSVW recces  ::)

Sh0rtbUs said:
i dont even think the unit has been told yet...

Im hoping the unit can hold onto an iltis or 15 until then   ;), but if not... could be mounted MILCOT/LSVW recces   ::)

Sounds like some of you may be better off using your own cars.

Have fun...  :-\

I dont think my 2003 Honda Accord would fair all that well on Meaford Blacktracks...  ;)

I know that this is disappointing for the Res Armd Recce Units, but this is driven by a real operational imperative.  Canada is at war.  Equipment is needed to fight that war.  The G Wagons have proven their worth on countless occasions in the last 5 months, and are the main reason that I have not been to more Canadian ramp ceremonies at Kandahar Airfield.

Dave

PPCLI Guy said:
I know that this is disappointing for the Res Armd Recce Units, but this is driven by a real operational imperative.   Canada is at war.   Equipment is needed to fight that war.   The G Wagons have proven their worth on countless occasions in the last 5 months, and are the main reason that I have not been to more Canadian ramp ceremonies at Kandahar Airfield.

Dave

i agree entirely. Tough cookies for those of us who arent getting them, but unlike most things in the Army, this deficiency has a legitimate reason (for once)

ShawnSmith said:
Wow. I was at the aurora armoury about a month ago picking up an application, and was told that I would probably be one of the first to use them... I'm hoping for the February 2007 co-op...   :p

There is always the old reliable black cadillac recce vehicle. We are waiting out west, and know it will be a while until we see them. For understandable reasons. Until they show, it may just be good old foot patrols.

Priority is Ops = perfectly fine. But you would think that there is an large flock of Ilti out there that we could still utilize in our training - they  can't ALL be grounded and parts pieces.

Spartan said:
Priority is Ops = perfectly fine. But you would think that there is an large flock of Ilti out there that we could still utilize in our training - they   can't ALL be grounded and parts pieces.

Not at all, we had around 6 or 7 for an EX last weekend...

It just means more DISMOUNTED patrolling, which I enjoy more.

I'd rather be walking around on a patrol, then be in a milcot trying to pretend it's an iltis.

Unless it's raining outside.  ;D

PPCLI Guy said:
I know that this is disappointing for the Res Armd Recce Units, but this is driven by a real operational imperative.   Canada is at war.   Equipment is needed to fight that war.   The G Wagons have proven their worth on countless occasions in the last 5 months, and are the main reason that I have not been to more Canadian ramp ceremonies at Kandahar Airfield.

Dave

The vehicle proved it's worth once again today.   :salute:

No problem with them being used to the max, where the danger is the max.  It's good to hear they are doing what they are supposed to do.  Just a little frustrating is all.
Well, patience IS a virtue.

Back