• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Happy International Women's Day

Hot Lips

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to take this opportunity to say Happy International Women's Day to all the great women I know and don't know...both military and civilian...
Have a great day ladies!

HL

Same to you HL.

Here's my list of truly amazing women that I hold as role models and use as inspirations:

My mum - joined the RCMP after surviving polio as a kid, having 10 kids, staying married to my sailor dad while raising 10 kids alone and managing not to kill any of us and was the meanest shot I ever knew and could fly a a twin otter and land it on a dime in the bush. 

My 2 grandmothers - who were both navy nurses during the war, and continued to nurse in remote and isolated areas well into their 70s and one gran, who at age 90 was still riding her snow mobile and hunting moose in the YT.

My Mother-in-law, who lost her dad as he was returning home from the war in 1945 and was raised by an aunt in the bays of NFLD, who went on to study at St FX and is a prominent artist , who hunts, fishes, and can yomp with the best of them with a full pack, who at 70, still plays 18 holes every day and beats the pants off all comers.

Mrs B McIntryre - who joined the navy in 1939 and drove herself and girlfriend in a model T to Halifax from Dauphin MB, represented Canada at the Queen's coronation, started her family at age 40 after retiring, supported her sailor husband and raised her kids by herself while he was at sea.  Owned her own store, built her own house while hubby was away and keeps the WREN traditions alive at a young age of 85.

Rosa Parks, for saying no.

Karen Kane - for her grace.

Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother - for her devotion to her Country, and her daughters (and for wearing a strand of pearls while fishing).

Katherine Hepburn - for her talent.

Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin - for her legal acumen.

Julia Child - for her gourmet dishes.

Donna Karan - for her business acumen and style.

St Jessica - for her spiritual devotions.

Anyone else have a role model or two?

Role models,

Several teachers along the way, especially Mrs Drayson, Jr High math, and Prof Cristall, 1st year Calculus.  The "experts" say that girls don't excel in math and sciences.  I had teachers that made it seem normal for girls to do well in these subjects.

Several officers I've worked for who made it, and not by being a poster child for women in the military/combat arms.

Nichola Goddard - only met her once, but she probably would have hated the title "first female killed in combat since WW2."  End of Mission, Stand Easy. RIP Nick.

And on a side note - it's my baby girl's 4th birthday today!! How's that for good karma?  Any girl born on March 8th is destined to be a strong, independent, successful woman.  In the small town hospital where she was born, three of us had baby girls that day.  No boys born that day in our town!!!

InfantryGrrl said:
That's quite obvious Frederik.   

It's every day.

InfantryGrrl  ;)

That's the same answer I always got when I asked my mom and dad - "There's a Mothers Day, and a Fathers Day.  When's Kids Day?"  ;)

Additionally....speaking of admirable women....

Now, I know that Demi Moore has never ACTUALLY been in any military, but her character in GI Jane is my hero.  I don't care what the critics said, its still my favorite movie ever.      

The two best scenes in a film ever:

1.  When Lt. Jordan O'Neil (Moore) goes all "fuck you guys" and shaves her head.    

2.  That montage scene of her doing one armed pushups.  

One day I'll be as awesome as Lt. O'Neil.  One day.  lol  (Though I've never quite been frustrated enough to shave my head - not sure I'd ever come to that).  

The only other woman Army movie I've ever seen is "Private Benjamin" starring Goldie Hawn.  Its a tad cheesy and very 80s, but is very girl power nonetheless.  Someone really ought to make an updated version of GI Jane.  As far as I know, its been 10 years since a girl power Army movie has come out.  Any others out there?  

An article from the CBC today about women in the CF:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cdnmilitary/women-cdnmilitary.html

InfantryGrrl

To all the great women I know, and those I haven't had the pleasure of meeting.

Role models eh?... I suppose I have one very special one.

My Mom. A woman who was left alone with 4 small children after the loss of her husband to cancer. He had no life insurance when he died, so she was left with tremendous bills to pay, (ie funeral, medication bills.. and so on) a family business she couldn't run on her own, and an acerage she could not afford on her own. But, she stayed strong for all of us, got 2 jobs, moved us, and paid off all of those expenses. Meanwhile she managed to need to work 2-3 jobs, but still ALWAYS be there for us when we needed her. I don't think there is a woman in the world I admire more than my Mom. Kudos to you Mom, for being one inspirational woman who I am proud to call my best friend.

Hot Lips said:
Every other day of the year...

HL

I'm going to call bullshit and leave it at that, as I don't want to completely crash the "Women are so awesome" lovefest you have going on.

Frederik G said:
I'm going to call bullshit and leave it at that, as I don't want to completely crash the "Women are so awesome" lovefest you have going on.

Hell, Women ARE "so awesome".

My own personal examples are my wife, my Mother, my Mother-In-Law, my Nanny (Grandma to those of you not familiar with the term), and my "Di" (Cree for Grandma).

Happy International Women's Day to all you women out there - you deserve it.

Roy

Frederik G said:

No need to get your issued green man-shorts in a knot there Frederik.   ;)

There is a certain sense of camaraderie between women in the CF.  It can get a tad overwhelming to quite often be the only woman on a course and to generally be completely surrounded by men.  Often the minor frustrations are sorted out with a tad of girlie humour.   

That being said, if we didn't like 'em, we wouldn't have joined the CF.  I love my job ;) 

Frederik G said:

The real stupid part of the whole thing, Frederik, is that you couldn't leave it alone in the first place.  I am not sure why it bothered you so sufficiently that you felt the need to comment at all.

Grow up.

SamIAm said:
The real stupid part of the whole thing, Frederik, is that you couldn't leave it alone in the first place.  I am not sure why it bothered you so sufficiently that you felt the need to comment at all.

Grow up.

The only reason you don't know why it bothers me, is because I decided to back off to not get into a big slagfest. Instead of calling me stupid and questioning my maturity, I suggest you back off and let it go, too.

To everyone (men and women alike as it should be celebrated by all and resented by none) -- Happy International Women's Day.  

My most memorable woman?  My mother.  She died two years ago next month.  She joined the military in 1952 as a Rec Spec (which later became the PERI trade).  She was a trailblazer and set a tremendous role model for many young women.  I still have people come to me to this day who tell me of the lessons she imparted to them.  She has left quite a legacy.

Hmm,

Nice Freddy, weren't you the one that went off the deep end when I said the comment "Let them eat cake"?

All of sudden, your care for others goes out the door.

dileas

tess

Back on track!And stop the He-Man woman haters club!Never! ::)

I don't really appericiate the day.Find it kind of lame actually.Sort of like fathers/mothers day,hate those holidays as well (or are they observations?).my wife actually joked about it earlier and asked me what she was getting for woman's day. ;D

Anyway I still appericiate my wife to the fullest.How many nights where I was up late at work to come home to "go get in the shower love,I'll throw your combats in the wash"or the countless hours she spends playing with and looking after our son when I'm not around.
Oh and all the stuff she does that goes unnoticed (shes a housewife).And being a dam good buddy,ski weekend coming up!

Oh and thanks for all the women who...well look like women.Some people putting down women make me wonder about their sexua....anyway.

Behind every good man theres a good (or some say better) woman.

I appericiate 'em everyday,hence thinking the day is kinda lame.

Back