• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Has Canada ever fielded "armies"

johnny_boy

Inactive
Reaction score
I just saw some Globe and Mail front page reproductions that were circulated for the Year of the Vetran, and one of the articles mentions the "First Canadian Army".. did we have more than one army in WW2? I was under the impression that the higest it went was corps. Does anyone have any further information or reading regarding this?

johnny_boy said:
I just saw some Globe and Mail front page reproductions that were circulated for the Year of the Vetran, and one of the articles mentions the "First Canadian Army".. did we have more than one army in WW2? I was under the impression that the higest it went was corps. Does anyone have any further information or reading regarding this?

Do a Google Search on First Canadian Army, you will find plenty of evidence.  The Army was created in 1942  IIRC, with I Canadian Corps and II Canadian Corps under command.

It was activated in Normandy in August 1944, with II Canadian Corps under command as well as, at various times, British, Dutch, Czech, Polish and American units, and served until the end of the war.  I Canadian Corps came under command in March 1945 after GOLDFLAKE moved them from Italy.

Agree with Michael. Look under those search parameters.

However, First Canadian Army was first formed in January of 43 as more and more units had came to Britian to begin their training for the war. Many units had been in England for as much as 3 years at that point. It wasn't long after this (April '43) that some Canadian units through political pressure were given the go ahead to help in the Sicily and Italian campaigns. It wasn't until much later that year (Fall) that we had an entire Corp in Italy (I Corps). II Corps remaind in England to train for D-Day. After much fighting in both locals, I Corp was finally given the go ahead to move to N.W Europe to join their buddies (March, GOLDFLAKE). April 1st (go figure) 1945 was the day I Corps finally joined up with II Corps in the field and formally made 1st Canadian Army in the fight for the Rhineland.

Besides websites, there are many great books on the various topics. Great reads. :D

My stepfather was a medic with 2Fd Amb, and told me they embarked at Leghorn in Italy and disembarked ion the south coast of France, then drove north.  He gave me the impression a lot of guys prefered the 8th Army to the First Cdn Army, but only time would have changed that.

Tom

Back