• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Haven't We Done The "Target" Recruiting Before?

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Non-white military might needs boost
Despite Canadian Forces ad campaigns targeting women, aboriginals and visible minorities, recruitment numbers remain stubbornly low

By KATHLEEN HARRIS, SUN MEDIA SPECIAL
The Ottawa Sun   
OTTAWA -- Canada's military is struggling to shed its "white guys" image, embracing more culture and diversity to put a more colourful face on the armed forces.
Employment equity law, ramped-up recruitment drives and targeted ad campaigns have tried to break down the homogeneous tradition and attract more women, aboriginals and visible minorities to the mix. But their numbers remain stubbornly low. A 2006 report showed natives represented a marginal 1.5% of the regular and primary reserves, visible minorities just 2.7% and women 15.1% -- and figures have barely budged since then.

Driven in part by ideology and in part by operational necessity, the military is making concerted new efforts to boost those numbers to 2.8%, 9.1% and 19.5% over five years. A new working group recently launched a sweeping six-month study designed to root out underlying reasons for the lagging numbers and devise ways to pick up the recruitment pace.
"It's important for the Canadian Forces to reflect the Canadian population as a whole," said Lt.-Commander Rohit Gulati, who's in charge of the diversity program. "The military must represent the people. If we are a national institution, we must reflect the population, because if the population doesn't see themselves reflected, we will lose touch with them, and them with us."

Gulati calls it the "million dollar question" why numbers remain so low, since the military has moved from a conform-and-adapt mantra to one that accommodates diverse religious practices and cultural traditions. Flexible policies allow wearing the Sikh turban, Metis sash, Muslim hijab or Jewish yarmulke and provide halal, kosher or other special religious dietary requirements on army bases.
"We've got all those pegs in place, but we're still not getting the numbers. In fact, it's hard to get people in and the recruiting groups are having a bit of a tough time," he said.

Recruitment is easier in outlying regions and smaller provinces, where the CF has established a traditional, visible presence. But in big cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, where most of the visible minorities live, the CF doesn't register high as a potential career choice for many young people.
The new working group study will review outreach programs, ethnic advertising and explore the best ways to target specific communities. In some ethnic groups, the offer of educational opportunities may be the inroad, while technical trade training could be the ticket in another.
The son of immigrant parents from India who grew up in Halifax, Gulati calls the military a "meritocracy" with zero tolerance for racial discrimination.

"People don't care what colour you are, it's how well can you do your job, and you're promoted based on that. If you look at our performance evaluation system, it is basically colour blind," he said. "I've never felt that race was an issue. After the first couple of hours people evaluate you based on who you are rather than what colour you are. That's my experience, anyway."
Better reflecting Canadian society is a primary goal of diversity targets, but Gulati said there are operational advantages to having more women and a multicultural military -- especially on missions like Kandahar.

"When the local women there see a female soldier, they will respect her. They will be very impressed, it will be a role model for them. And in dealing with the locals it is very difficult for men to deal with traditional Afghani women. It has to be a woman, so for a woman to be there she has more access to that group, and that brings an operational advantage," he said. "And if you have an Afghani-Canadian who understands the language and nuances of the culture, that brings another operational edge to the group."
Anthony Salloum, program director for the Ottawa-based Rideau Institute, said it's "problematic" to have low representation of aboriginals and visible minorities in any key public sector. He believes many aren't signing up because they don't support the war in Afghanistan or are turned off by the "Fight" campaign ads.

"That might be appealing to some sectors of our society, but you're not speaking the language of many of our ethnic minorities, including those who come from war-torn regions," he said. "Many of them are coming to Canada for peace, so the idea of joining up to 'Fight' may not be an appealing message. It's a very aggressive word and that might be really muting the enthusiasm of our visible minority communities to join the armed forces."
Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, the chief of land staff and the Canadian Forces' "aboriginal champion," said the military must be flexible and reject a "cookie cutter" approach to attract and retain visible minorities and aboriginals. He noted that the sudden culture shock of drill, orders and fitness training for new recruits on base is even more jarring for someone who grew up in a remote, isolated native community and is now separated from family in Shilo, Man., or Wainwright, Alta.

"Let's not kid ourselves, the army culture is a little bit different from that which you find just about anywhere else in Canada," he said. "We've got to be more accommodating in not trying to cram our army culture down the throat of great young Canadians who may not understand it when they first walk through the door."
Leslie said natives are "natural soldiers" who bring to the job a deep understanding of the land, inherent survival skills and incredible self-reliance, patience and persistence. And as the fastest-growing population in Canada -- with a majority under 25 years old -- he said aboriginals represent a big "potential recruiting pool."

Aboriginal Master Warrant Officer John Young dreamed of being a soldier from when he was a young boy living on Manitoulin Island. He signed up at 17, and with 33 years in the military under his belt he now spends his days criss-crossing the country encouraging others to follow his dream.
As Leslie's aboriginal adviser, his job is to establish and nurture mentoring and recruitment programs, recommend policy and help break down barriers.

Despite a long, proud tradition of natives serving in arms, Young said there are many reasons why the numbers are so sparse now. A strong economy has offered vast career options, many are reluctant to leave tight-knit native communities, and others harbour lingering resentment for past injustices for aboriginal Canadians.
"Memories do run long, and there are some concerns after the Second World War and the Korean War, the treatment of aboriginal veterans," he said. "There is still some concern about residential schools. All these things you read in the paper that affect the Canadian public affect the aboriginal population."

But Young hopes a number of youth initiatives, an aboriginal entry college program and a welcoming attitude toward braids, sweetgrass and pow wows will help promote the CF as a viable career path. He has no regrets about his choice, looking back to adventure and travel to every corner of the country and spots around the globe.
"It's been a really great lifestyle that has offered me sights and scenes I would have never seen if I'd been a hard rock miner in northern Ontario," he said.

---

Current representation of designated group members in CF regular force and primary reserve:

Women: 15.1%

Five-year goal: 19.5%

Visible Minorities 2.7%

Five-year goal: 9.1%

Aboriginal people 1.5%

Five-year goal: 2.8%

Personally, I'm more concerned with just getting our numbers in total higher.........

I'm venturing a guess that the security clearance is one problem with regards to the low number people in these target groups getting into the military. How many ethnically diverse people have been out of the country in the last 10 years or have relatives who still live, have returned to, or have spent large amounts of time in another country? They can campaign all they want, but if this process is going to continue to take years in some cases then we are going to see the same results in the future. This is likely not the only reason, but I do think it very well could be a big one.

" Targeting" certain groups for recruitment in the CF is not an issue. An issue arises when rules and requirements are altered to accommodate these " Targeted " groups.
All those who want to be part of this great military family will join and those who don't, won't.

GUNS said:
" Targeting" certain groups for recruitment in the CF is not an issue. An issue arises when rules and requirements are altered to accommodate these " Targeted " groups.
All those who want to be part of this great military family will join and those who don't, won't.

Making changes does not necessarily equate lowering the standards.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

;)

GUNS said:

I do not believe that the CF will alter rules and requirements as a means of accommodating these groups.

What I do believe is these #'s represent the percentage of each group in the CF applicant pool so the CF is trying to determine how they can increase the # of successful applicants in each group.  It is important to understand why applicants from these groups are leaving the CF or not accepting employment to begin with. I think a good example of how the CF is trying to tackle this is the Aboriginal Leadership Opportunity Year or Aboriginal Pre-recruit Training Course.

Celticgirl said:
I'm venturing a guess that the security clearance is one problem with regards to the low number people in these target groups getting into the military. How many ethnically diverse people have been out of the country in the last 10 years or have relatives who still live, have returned to, or have spent large amounts of time in another country? They can campaign all they want, but if this process is going to continue to take years in some cases then we are going to see the same results in the future. This is likely not the only reason, but I do think it very well could be a big one.
Security Clearances are not going to be playing a huge factor in this issue.  Unless the applicant has lived outside Canada it is virtually a non-issue.

The real reasons are not unknown, there have been many studies done over the past 20 years on trying to solve this issue.  Obviously knowing the problem does not equate to being able to fix it.

Each of the services is a culture.  To speak of the services reflecting the Canadian population is nonsense - the Forces are not even a proper reflection of "young white guy" culture as it exists at this time.  The whole point is that people must want to adapt to the service cultures - army, navy, air force.  And, to the extent that the service way of life and what it represents already partially align with certain sub-cultures in Canada, those sub-cultures will be over-represented.  The only way to change that is to change the institution: less discipline, more freedom, greater compensation and benefits, flexible time for leisure and family pursuits, and all the other things valued by young people today.  Of course, not all of those features align well with the institution and one might risk corroding its integrity.  But for those who wish to fiddle to merely be fashionable, there is the Post Office.

The problem facing the CF is that Canada is already experiencing a shift in age-wise demographics and the economy is healthy.  It's a seller's market for labour in the major metropolitan areas where, coincidentally, most of the visible minorities live.

Undoubtedly some people will be attracted by educational and technical training opportunities.  But in attempting to make the Forces reflect the population, let's not end up with only parts of the Forces reflecting parts of the population.  If the combat arms - particularly the infantry - do not reflect the population, then the measures taken are just window dressing.

If people are turned off by the "fight" aspect, they don't belong in the CF.  Their enthusiasm for public service should be directed to other public institutions.  The last thing needed is a burdensome head count of people who will suddenly become undeployable or released when faced with sea time or a field deployment instead of whatever other commitment it was they thought they were making.

The recruiting strengths of the services are that you can start with a high school education, and that you are paid and housed to attend all of the training required to perform your duties.

One additional enticement is a "GI Bill" provision for education: up to 4 years, tuition and fees all paid, at any accredited/recognized Canadian post-secondary institution.  Yes, it will cost money.  Yes, there will be high turnover: people who do X years' service to qualify and then quit.  Yes, it will get up the nose of all the people who think the benefits of employment in the CF should not be greater than any other federal public service.  Yes, it will probably get up the nose of people in the CF if the conditions are limited to ensure the point is to attract people to actual field, sea, and airfield deployable trades.

Regardless what solutions might be effectual, if the adults in charge are not prepared to recognize the differences between the groups that are spending lots of time abroad and at risk versus those who are not, or the obvious intangible benefits of a non-CF public service job in Canada, I can not grant them the benefit of regarding their concerns or intentions as serious.

One additional enticement is a "GI Bill" provision for education: up to 4 years, tuition and fees all paid, at any accredited/recognized Canadian post-secondary institution.

We already have provisions for education:

On entry/transfer: http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/resources/subsidizededucation_en.aspx?bhcp=1

There are quite a few educational benefits for currently serving and releasing members, both government funded and through NPF (SISIP).

Yes, Brad is talking about post-release, no-strings-attached educational funding.

Good to see that while the Army is busy fighting a war Ottawa has maintained its status quo.... ::)

Infanteer said:
Good to see that while the Army, Air Force and Navy is busy fighting a war Ottawa has maintained its status quo.... ::)

In the Primary Reserve all members can qualify for 50% of tuition and books reimbursed annually, to an annual limit of $2000 and a lifetime limit of $8000.

Interesting how we do the numbers, though: only the Primary Reserve, no other sub-components.  That way we drop the Canadian Rangers from the totals, understating the number of aboriginals serving in the CF.

I just read this, and this stood out as a comment of someone who really doesn't know of what they are talking about:
"When the local women there see a female soldier, they will respect her. They will be very impressed, it will be a role model for them. And in dealing with the locals it is very difficult for men to deal with traditional Afghani women. It has to be a woman, so for a woman to be there she has more access to that group, and that brings an operational advantage," he said. "And if you have an Afghani-Canadian who understands the language and nuances of the culture, that brings another operational edge to the group."

First off; is the author talking about "Money" women or what?   ;D

A serious observation there that instantly points out the lack of knowledge on the author's part.  

More importantly though; very seldom are we in contact with Afghan women.  In fact we can say it is a very rare event, and even Canadian soldiers who happen to be female have little affect on that.  It is a 'cultural thing' that prevents us "Westerners"/infidels from meeting, let alone see, Afghan women.  

Recruiting women will make little difference here.

If any and all recruiting drives succeed in gaining more recruits, then who cares if they are targeting certain groups. Good advertising always has a target audience. Why shouldn't the CF?

AEC Kapp said:
We already have provisions for education:

On entry/transfer: http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/resources/subsidizededucation_en.aspx?bhcp=1

There are quite a few educational benefits for currently serving and releasing members, both government funded and through NPF (SISIP).

Don't make me laugh.  The educational benefits available today are a slap in the face compaired to what was on offer when I originally enroled.  I think Brad has hit it right on the nose with a similar plan to what the US offered.  Even the men mustering out of the forces following the war got a better retraining deal than what is going now.  Ottawa is always looking for ways to save money.  And from my POV it is usually at the members (NCM's in particular) expense.

If they want to inflate the recruits of any type, minority or not, they have to do something besides Basic Up to show the path into the military and the ways of life that can be had.

So many people are under the stereotypical impression that as soon as you sign the line your life is over, you eat metal bits morning, noon and night, you train non stop to murder and eat babies and the pay is shit.

I've literally educated so many epople around me in the past months that I've almost become a 1 man recruiting center. Alot of people have left or are leaving my current call center for the armed forces directly because of me and educating them properly, pointing them in the right direction and letting them learn. Most were white, granted that, but one has been a black man (I say Black man because to me labelling anyone African American is racist. They could be from Trinidad, Morocco, the Middle East, South America, Cuba, Mexico and several other places and be very dark skinned) and several like myself are Metis or Native in ancestry.

Policies and numbers are good and great to shoot for, but who doesn't agree with me that the military has to, plain and simple, haul it's head out of it's ass and promote itself more with more readily available information besides the stiff, scripted crap you see almost everywhere? Does the possible recruits know about RFT, the pay scales upon entering and what really goes on? Nope. And with todays culture having this info readily available would go over very smoothly IMO (although the ranks of the RFT would swell, I think that there's alot of benefit that could be had because alot of very intelligent people have their physical health holding them back).

Personally, I think a promotional campaign showing the monotony of life in the military would go over extremely well. A commercial with a few techs working on something awesome that looks like a strange place (or on something interesting) then leaving and going home to the family, or some people overseas talking to their family via webcam after a few shots of a patrol, stuff like that would go over extremely well. Many people would jump at the chance to enlist but old beliefs are just too deep.

That's just my 2c worth though. And from what I've seen the current recruitment efforts still seem to be kind of gimped. It's not the minority recruitment that has to be looked at, it's the whole process overall.

jollyjacktar said:
Don't make me laugh.  The educational benefits available today are a slap in the face compaired to what was on offer when I originally enroled.  I think Brad has hit it right on the nose with a similar plan to what the US offered.  Even the men mustering out of the forces following the war got a better retraining deal than what is going now.  Ottawa is always looking for ways to save money.  And from my POV it is usually at the members (NCM's in particular) expense.

The one's AEC Kapp quoted are all, IIRC, for officers, and although I believe your post was mostly directed towards the NCM's system being inadequate; I have nothing but praise, at least for ROTP. Just posting this in case someone were to read this thread and be turned off for the wrong reasons, not because I don't think it's a good idea to have some sort of program like the example Brad offered.

Yes indeed, I was speaking from and for the lower decks.  The UTPM and ROTP are fine I'm sure, and a good thing that it is offered.  But for the rest of us, we are getting screwed badly. IMHO.  With the cost of post secondary education today it would be a great incentive to potential new recruits if they could get a real step up after release.  I don't honestly know if the US still offers this, but when I did take a look at them 25+ years ago they did.  And it was tempting.

RTaylor said:
I've literally educated so many people around me in the past months that I've almost become a 1 man recruiting center. Alot of people have left or are leaving my current call center for the armed forces directly because of me and educating them properly, pointing them in the right direction and letting them learn. Most were white, granted that, but one has been a black man (I say Black man because to me labelling anyone African American is racist. They could be from Trinidad, Morocco, the Middle East, South America, Cuba, Mexico and several other places and be very dark skinned) and several like myself are Metis or Native in ancestry.

Policies and numbers are good and great to shoot for, but who doesn't agree with me that the military has to, plain and simple, haul it's head out of it's *** and promote itself more with more readily available information besides the stiff, scripted crap you see almost everywhere? Does the possible recruits know about RFT, the pay scales upon entering and what really goes on? Nope. And with todays culture having this info readily available would go over very smoothly IMO (although the ranks of the RFT would swell, I think that there's alot of benefit that could be had because alot of very intelligent people have their physical health holding them back).

An outstanding example of the kind of leadership we need to help recruit more of the right kind of people (of whatever ethnic background). Well done RTaylor.

I'm fortunate to be able to work with some high quality marketing consultants and they get a good laugh out of our recruiting efforts. As I understand it, one of the best ways to convince the current demographic to do anything is to equip 'honest brokers' with high amounts of credibility with the target audience, like RTaylor, to explain what it's all about. They use the term 'contagious' to describe the way that this information spreads most effectively. TV ads, and other promotional materials, needs to support this approach fully and address the information needs of your audience. I don't know who's doing the ad building these days, but I'm not sure if they've hit the mark for Gen Y/Next.

In my simple world it's kind of like an advance to contact: the organization needs to be aligned to support the troops at the sharp end.

Back