• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Health services provided to Canadian Forces personnel with an emphasis on PTSD

schart28

Inactive
Reaction score
You will find from the Standing Committee on National Defence a:

Study: Health services provided to Canadian Forces personnel with an emphasis on post-traumatic stress disorder

http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/cmte/CommitteePublication.aspx?SourceId=226946&Lang=1&PARLSES=392&JNT=0&COM=13195

Interesting reading

Interesting reading indeed.  BGen Jaeger seemed to field the questions quite well in my opinion.
Surprising (or should I say not?) that most of the politicians needed to have "non-battle injury" defined more than once.  ::)

Thumbs up to Cheryl Gallant for bringing up the fact that fact that "the Canada Health Act stipulates that health care coverage for the Canadian Forces is a federal responsibility and that the Canada Health Act specifically excludes military personnel as insured persons" but "in Ontario the soldiers still have to pay the Ontario health tax premium" and thumbs down to her not pursuing it.

I did have to Google James Lunney, the MLA from Nanaimo-Alberni.  Yes, he's a doctor, a chiropractor.  Here he is talking about nutrition and vitamins to prevent stress and then questioning the immunizations (thimerisol in the flu shot).  I guess he'll be relieved to know that the flu shot is the only one that is optional in the military.  This guy sounds like he's be one of those people who is against vaccinations.  It would be nice if we could get people to eat properly but taking vitamins?  We can't even get people to use protective measures properly, let alone taking vitamins.

PMedMoe said:
Thumbs up to Cheryl Gallant for bringing up the fact that fact that "the Canada Health Act stipulates that health care coverage for the Canadian Forces is a federal responsibility and that the Canada Health Act specifically excludes military personnel as insured persons" but "in Ontario the soldiers still have to pay the Ontario health tax premium" and thumbs down to her not pursuing it.

This has been two of the main pillars of Ms. Gallant's support to the troops (and election campaigns) for the last 4+ years.  She has become quite informed by her constituents.

Frostnipped Elf said:
This has been two of the main pillars of Ms. Gallant's support to the troops (and election campaigns) for the last 4+ years.  She has become quite informed by her constituents.

When I was posted in Petawawa, I called her office after it was announced on the radio that personnel there were receiving PLD to offset having to pay the health premium.  They had been told this by someone in Ottawa (I forget who).  I set them straight on that bit of misinformation.  ;D

[rant] Mr Lunney is a chiropractor. He should stay out of nutrition and immunization and stick to spinal alignments. [/rant]

ModlrMike said:
[rant] Mr Lunney is a chiropractor. He should stay out of nutrition and immunization and stick to spinal alignments. [/rant]

Chiropractors deal in nutrition and vitamins, as they prescribe to wellness int he body to aid them in their work while they release the energy pent up due to injuires.

They just don't "Align spines",

dileas

tess

Chiropractic Course of Study:
As a Chiropractic student, you will be educated as a primary-contact health care practitioner, with emphasis on neuro-musculo-skeletal diagnosis and treatment. This education concentrates on three areas of learning:

Basic training in the biological and health sciences including anatomy, physiology, histology, biochemistry, clinical diagnosis and radiological interpretation;
Training in the chiropractic discipline, including theoretical studies, practice, diagnosis and application; and
Extensive clinical training.

http://www.chiropractors.ns.ca/bchiro.html

the 48th regulator said:
Chiropractors deal in nutrition and vitamins, as they prescribe to wellness int he body to aid them in their work while they release the energy pent up due to injuires.

They just don't "Align spines",

dileas

tess

I agree, and have no problem when any health professional speaks to nutrition and public health in the "whole patient" model of health delivery. When someone who's entitled to place DR before their names speaks about micro-nutrients vis-a-vis one's susceptibility to PTSD, and the efficacy of certain immunizations, then they create the impression of expertise and specialization in these areas. I'm not convinced that his comments are in keeping with his scope of practise. As a clinician who has had occasion to refer patients to a chiropractor, you can rest assured that it wasn't for dietary or public health advice. I admit that my rant was blunt, but his reliance on pseudo-science to substantiate his medical opinion irritated me.

Just to be clear... I'm not anti chiropractor, they provide appropriate care to many patients, I'm anti anyone who strays outside their scope of practise, regardless of health profession.

Edit for completeness.

ModlrMike said:
I agree, and have no problem when any health professional speaks to nutrition and public health in the "whole patient" model of health delivery. When someone who's entitled to place DR before their names speaks about micro-nutrients vis-a-vis one's susceptibility to PTSD, and the efficacy of certain immunizations, then they create the impression of expertise and specialization in these areas. I'm not convinced that his comments are in keeping with his scope of practise. As a clinician who has had occasion to refer patients to a chiropractor, you can rest assured that it wasn't for dietary or public health advice. I admit that my rant was blunt, but his reliance on pseudo-science to substantiate his medical opinion irritated me.

Just to be clear... I'm not anti chiropractor, they provide appropriate care to many patients, I'm anti anyone who strays outside their scope of practise, regardless of health profession.

Edit for completeness.

Ladies and Gents,

Yet again, I have stuck my foot in my mouth.

a)I posted, trying to sort someone on medical details....to a person with a medical background!
b)I strayed out of my lanes....Yep, PTSD and a personal Chiropractor does not give me the right to post as if I know..

ModlrMike,

Sorry about that,

I  will sit in the corner, just kick me, and feed me beer to make sure I am alive ;)

You were quite right to post., think nothing of it. My first post perhaps should have been the contents of my second post.

Here we have Witnesses: Department of National Defence: LCol Gerry Blais, Director, Casualty Support and Administration; Col David Weger, Director, Health Services Personnel

http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/cmte/CommitteePublication.aspx?SourceId=227338&Lang=1&PARLSES=392&JNT=0&COM=13195

Back