• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Halifax sailors hurt in heavy seas

Navalsnpr

Inactive
Reaction score
HMCS Halifax sailors hurt in heavy seas

Canadian Press

Thursday, February 03, 2005

HALIFAX (CP) -- Three sailors aboard a Canadian navy frigate sustained minor injuries Thursday morning while the ship was rolling violently in heavy seas off the U.S. coast.

One of the three men on board HMCS Halifax was flown ashore to McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey by the ship's helicopter. A news release said the airlift was a "precautionary measure.''

The man, whose name wasn't released, was later transferred to Virtua Memorial hospital in Mount Holly, N.J., for treatment.

A nurse in the emergency ward at the civilian hospital said in the evening that the sailor had suffered a minor knee injury and left the hospital using crutches.

Two other navy personnel remained in the ship's sickbay under observation on Thursday evening.

"The injuries are along the lines of bumps, bruises and possible fractures,'' said navy spokesperson Lt.-Cmdr. Denise LaViolette, who said she couldn't be more precise about the nature of the injuries.

However, she added, "they're not serious.''

Five other members of the ship's company were also examined by the medical officer aboard HMCS Halifax, but were released after a few hours.

"They were in rough seas, and rolling back and forth when a large wave hit. Some folks were thrown about a little bit and that's how the injuries occurred,'' said LaViolette.

"If you're on a ship and all of a sudden it takes a fairly stiff roll, you're going to have people and things flying.''

Asked if training might avoid such incidents, she responded, "No matter how good your balance is, if the floor is taken from under your feet you're going to end up somewhere.''

The frigate was in four-metre seas at the time, going through routine manoeuvres off the eastern seaboard.

LaViolette said the vessel will continue to be deployed off the United States, and has carried on with its mission.

The frigate has a total crew of 225 people on board.

© Canadian Press 2005

A medevac flight for a sprained knee? A press release for a bunch of scrapes and bruises?

This is a frigate in an Atlantic storm in February. Lots of the crew are bruised and banged up right now and more than a few are dehydrated from seasickness. Goes with the job. Does the army issue press releases detailing how many blisters and sore knees they got cause it rained on a route march?

Did it say sprained.  Facts not in evidence!

Your right. What it actually said was a "minor knee injury" and the sailor left the hospital using crutches the same day. Sorry.

Could be anything though, trauma, cartlidge???  Best not to speculate.

Cheers

With the ship rocking up and down, a minor leg injury can be aggrivated and worsen because of the motion.

Just like being in an elevator, when it goes up, the weight exerted on your body increases. It's hard enough walking around with good legs during rough weather.... try doing it with a bummed up leg.

So he gets taken off watch and lashed into his bunk. BTDT. Possibly agravating a knee injury versus the risk  of a medevac flight in bad weather?

Still a stupid article.  Was there nothing better to write about?  I've seen guys break their legs from bad landings or land in trees after a jump and there is never a care from the papers.

Guess it was a slow news day.

In peacetime, if a medevac is available, go for it.

Remember, there isn't normally a doctor onboard, just a Cpl/MCpl Medic and a WO Medic.

If it were me, I'd rather go to a hospital and have a doctor check it out.

*Warning* What you are about to read is pure speculation and is only thrown on here because I'm getting over a cold and have nothing better to do tonight.

Maybe it wasn't really a medevac. Maybe the Sea King was going to shore anyways so they just took him along, which to the media makes it a medevac.  

Now here's one the media and probably no one but MH aircrew would think of.....   It's the beginning of the month and pilots have certain quals that we have to maintain monthly, and due to the sea state they couldn't take off and head to shore for anything other than an "emergency" situation. So they medevac this guy (emergency thus allowing them to take off when under "normal" conditions they can't), go to shore, drop buddy off at the hospital, do what they need to do (ie instrument approaches, among other things), pick buddy up and fly back to the ship.  

It seems reasonable to me.  I also like the way that you qualified your statement.  Good posting!

Inch.... good speculation...

Maybe the aircraft was on the way in to pick up a part for the ship?? Who knows....

Navalsnpr said:
Inch.... good speculation...

Maybe the aircraft was on the way in to pick up a part for the ship?? Who knows....

Yep, could be, as I said, sometimes you need an "emergency" in order to get higher limits for flights. I'm not DDL qual'd yet so I don't know what kind of sea states you're limited to or other embarked limits, but there are other examples such as wind limits for engaging the rotor (making it turn after starting both engines). Max wind under normal conditions is 45kts, we can engage in 55kt winds for operational reasons, and 60kt winds under emergency conditions.

NCRCrow said:
and magically break down......for 5 days or more

Shit, the word's out, you got our number!  ;D

NCRCrow said:
and magically break down......for 5 days or more

That's just cruel... ;D

Not to split hairs though (okay, I'm just trying to get people going), but ship to hospital transpo probably would qualify as a CASEVAC.

Turn pot, Turn.

Inch,
Sorry you're feeling crummy.  Not like you're speeding away on your OTU anyway.   >:D

Strike said:
Inch,
Sorry you're feeling crummy.  Not like you're speeding away on your OTU anyway.   >:D

Thanks, but the magical servicing fairy put 3 Sea Kings to sea and 3 serviceable on the Wing.  So while the weather was good and we had serviceable helos, I was sick and missed out on 3 X's this week.  :(

Not to split hairs though (okay, I'm just trying to get people going), but ship to hospital transpo probably would qualify as a CASEVAC.

True, but we change the C/S of the aircraft to "MEDEVAC 4XX" in those cases, so the term sticks.

With the hauldown system onboard a frigate, a Sea King can launch and recover to the following limits of ship motion:

Day- 4 degrees pitch, 25 degrees roll

Night- 4 degrees pitch, 20 degrees roll

For those of you who have not experienced 25 degrees of roll at sea, it is ALOT.   I've only seen 25 degrees once or twice while strapped on deck turning and burning, usually while the ship was turning onto the flying course and got caught by a wave.   To me, it felt like we were going over the side- the beartrap held, just like it was designed to.

A frigate is actually pretty stable, even in rough seas.   The deck pitch rarely reaches 4 degrees.   The ship will always stabilize for a few seconds, even in the worst sea-state (called the "steady period"), which is when we launch or recover.

Nothing more fun in the CF than flying from a ship (sigh...)   :)

Back