• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Honours & Awards (merged)

Art Johnson

Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
It has come down from the Governor General‘s office that two members of the 48th Highlanders of Canada, Lieut. Martinis and MCpl Stibbard have been awarded the Medal of Bravery (MB).

Canadian Bravery Decorations are national honours awarded to recognize acts of courage. The Medal of Bravery is awarded for acts of bravery in hazardous circumstances. A recipient is entitled to use the letters "MB" on all occasions when the use of such letters is customary

This award is as a result of their actions on September 11, 2001. As we know the USA was attacked by terrorists on this day. The Armoury was in a lock down condition with security on the main gate.

Lieut. Martinis and MCpl. Stibbard were on the gate when approached by one of the local residents, well known within the Armoury as a harmless but frequent visitor. This individual was told he could not enter MPA, at this point he started to become somewhat excited. The two Highlanders had to restrain him from attempted entry into MPA.

At this point two Toronto‘s Police officers on patrol were driving by on Queen Street and noticed the commotion and pulled in. The Highlanders backed off to allow the civil authorities to do their thing, when the local resident sucker punched one of the cops and then attacked the other. They all fell to the ground in a struggle with the two Highlanders not sure if they should enter the fray when one of the cops yelled "He‘s got my gun!". At this point Lieut. Martinis and MCpl Stibbard leaped into action, entered the fray and disarmed the resident.

The Toronto Police were of the opinion that if they had not entered the fray then one police office would have been shot, the pistol was under his armpit, above his bulletproof vest, and the second officer may have been shot as well. Lt. Col. Turner upon learning of the incident had an investigation ordered, and with supporting documentation from Toronto Police the nominations were sent higher.

The award presentation will be made by the Governor General, exact date to be confirmed, some time prior to 18 Dec. 02 in Ottawa.

It is nice to see a small silver lining to a horrible day in history come to light.

Dileas Gu Brath.

Doug Chappell

Congratulations to the two Highlanders; they follow in the footsteps of many brave men of the 48th - the majority of whom have never been decorated for their valour.

I have a strange feeling that the Gee Gee will through the recognition of service and acts like the aforementioned bring to the forefront the sacrifice and duty our Canadian Forces in the service of Canada and Canadians.

And in recognizing our sailors, soldiers and airmen assist in the rebuilding of moral and esprit de corp that has been in short supply for some time.

In an aside, I have a feeling the PM never planned on her being so proactive in areas outside of the arts.

At this time in our countries living history and in the disposition of our CF, she is exactly what we need. She is proving herself like few before her have and in her actions is slowly rebuilding the institutional representation of Canada and I believe, ultimately what we as Canadians will grasp as our identity.

Many of us here, have been, seen and lived some of the crappier aspects of service in the past while, but I can say that I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

God speed to the Gee Gee.

God save the Queen

:cdn:

More Honours and Awards

"After 20 gun battles and nine years, a medal"

http://www.nationalpost.com/search/site/story.asp?id=D6A51B50-C270-4AA8-843F-6772C99DEBCB

and

"Medals slow in coming for veterans of Afghanistan"

http://www.nationalpost.com/search/site/story.asp?id=61C38E44-87E3-4F2C-AFEC-198439A605E8

I don't think this has been posted yet.  News that just came out from N.S.:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091120/bus_crash_091120/20091120?hub=TopStoriesV2

One killed in crash involving Navy bus, SUV in N.S.

CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Fri. Nov. 20 2009 11:04 AM ET

At least one person is dead after a fiery crash involving a National Defence bus and an SUV near Halifax, N.S.

The SUV and Canadian Navy bus collided around 9:45 a.m. local time Friday morning.

The SUV burst into flames and the bus had extensive fire damage.

RCMP Cpl. Joe Taplin says the driver of the SUV was killed, while three people on the bus were taken to hospital.

He said it appears one of the vehicles crossed over the centre line.

The crash happened on a two-lane stretch of Hwy. 107 and the two vehicles came to a stop on the yellow divider line, where they remain.

"It's quite bright, perhaps one of the drivers was blinded, but it looks like one vehicle was trying to pass," CTV's Atlantic Bureau Chief Todd Battis reported.

A Department of National Defence spokesperson referred all calls to the RCMP.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay is in Halifax Friday to meet with U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates to discuss improving relations between the two countries.

Battis said however, that there are a number of military bases in the area, and buses often patrol in the area.

More to come...

With files from The Canadian Press

RIP to the driver and speedy recovery to those injured.

but some people should chose their words more carefully.

Battis said however, that there are a number of military bases in the area, and buses often patrol in the area.

We obviously have a severe shortage of recce vehicles if we are using highway cruisers to carry out patrols.

AmmoTech90 said:
We obviously have a severe shortage of recce vehicles if we are using highway cruisers to carry out patrols.

It was a Blue Bird BTW.. and the guys are recovering fine. I keep in close contact with them.

"Woman killed in collision was wife of navy man":
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1154035.html

AmmoTech90 said:
RIP to the driver and speedy recovery to those injured.

but some people should chose their words more carefully.

you owe me a new monitor    {we need a coffee spew smilie}

RIP to the driver of the SUV.

Please don't tell me it was my brother driving ??

BYT Driver said:
  you owe me a new monitor    {we need a coffee spew smilie}

RIP to the driver of the SUV.

Please don't tell me it was my brother driving ??

No it wasn't. He's in tractor section. Yeah I know.. someone gave him his 404's back. Next time you talk to him... ask about Pte Bloggins shooting on the range. He"ll know what I mean..

Heehhee.
I thought he was in heavy!!  Same as me for SNIC!.  We're coming down for Xmas, I will ask about Bloggins...did he screw up again??!!
Any idea yet as to who did what?  107, isn't that the Circumferencial around D'mouth to S'water?  Or it that the one that goes out back of D'mouth?  Haven't been that way in years and the geogoly is hazy.  8)

BYT Driver said:
Any idea yet as to who did what?  107, isn't that the Circumferencial around D'mouth to S'water?  Or it that the one that goes out back of D'mouth?  Haven't been that way in years and the geogoly is hazy.  8)

Behind Dartmouth...

It's funny on how getting the call from the accident and then seeing on how quick the media cover it. Let's say it was under an hour it was on CTV. Go figure.

If anyone wants to know.. one of the members on here was on that bus. FYI.

I sailed for several years with the husband of the deceased.  While Rick was not a friend, he was not an enemy either but a shipmate nevertheless.  My heart goes out to him and his girls.  Especially as he was away overseas doing almost a back to back tour. 

I hope the guys in the bus recover soon.

From the Vancouver Sun:

OTTAWA — As the last Canadian troops prepare for deployment to Afghanistan, Canada's new Governor General took a moment Tuesday to honour the sacrifices and achievements of those who've served on the mission which officially ends next year.

Moments before he began handing out military decorations to some 39 service members during a ceremony at Rideau Hall, David Johnston acknowledged that a lot of the news coming out of Afghanistan has been about the human toll.

"Those of you who were there understand the other side of the equation," he said.

"You know about the lives you saved, the communities you helped to stabilize, the schools you helped reopen."

Johnston noted the lives that were lost were not lost "in vain," and that while he also mourns every Canadian and Afghan death, it's also important to recognize the lives that have been saved and the people who made that possible.

"Each of you is here because you . . . went beyond what your fellow Canadians could reasonably have asked of you," he said in short speech before the medals presentation.

"We are recognizing your acts of courage and selflessness in the face of enemy fire and natural disasters and we are recognizing equally vital contributions that may have been made under less dramatic circumstances."

Johnston presented three Medals of Military Valour for devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy and two Meritorious Service Crosses and 34 Meritorious Service Medals to soldiers whose professionalism brought "benefit or honour" to the military.

The ceremony took place a day before members of the Royal 22nd Regiment from Valcartier, Que., begin deploying to Afghanistan as part of the last combat rotation and less than a week before Canadians across the country pause to mark Remembrance Day.

Master Cpl. Paul Rachynski of Edmonton was among those who received high honours during the ceremony — a Medal of Military Valour.
He was recognized for his actions on May 6, 2008, when he led Canadian and Afghan soldiers through heavy insurgent fire following an ambush in Zhari district west of Kandahar City in Afghanistan.

"It was very chaotic," he said in an interview after the ceremony.

"It was more or less just getting the guys out safely and keeping the enemy at bay while we pulled out."

Rachynski, who recently completed his third tour in Afghanistan, was modest about the prize and his contribution to the mission, noting the real heroes are those who paid the ultimate price.

This Nov. 11, he said he'll be thinking about his comrades who didn't make it home.

So, too, will Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Walt Natynczyk, who was on hand to congratulate recipients with a firm and friendly, locker room-style pat on the back that echoed through the room.

"Canadians have travelled around the world to do their duty to bring freedom and peace," he said. "We honour all of our veterans."

"And our veterans are so proud of you," he added. "You, the recipients, hold the torch of service up high. You were recognized today for going well beyond the high standards of valour, of duty and of service to Canada."

For the full list of medals recipients visit www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=13917

article link

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

No disrespect meant toward these deserving individuals, but did anyone else note the preponderance officers and in particular senior officers receiving honours.  Perhaps this is an anomaly and cyclical thing?  26 of 34 - greater than 75% of MSC/MSM.

It's a bit of a structural fault with the MSM/MSC, in my opinion.  Sergeants, for example, don't usually fill positions that can provide them the opportunity to bring "great benefit and honour" or "benefit or honour" to the Canadian Forces.  Senior Officers - usually occupying positions observed by those who sign off on these things - usually do.

So, despite stellar effort, a Sergeant can only influence about 10-40 guys which makes fitting his action into the MSM/MSC criteria that much harder.

In previous wars, when we used the British honours and awards system, there was a wider variety of awards available. I note at least two battalion commanders on the MSM list; in previous conflicts they probably would have received the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), while officers of any rank serving on the staff more likely would have been awarded one of the levels of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), to whit, member (MBE), officer (OBE) or commander (CBE.) A DSO also probably would have gone to any company commander on the list who was receiving an award for leading his subunit in action. The DSO was usually reserved for majors and above; the Military Cross (MC) was the equivalent for junior officers for deeds in action. On the rare occasion when a junior officer was awarded the DSO, this signified that his actions were above the norm for a MC, but did not quite reach the VC standard. Today one can not differentiate between an officer who received the MSM for exemplary leadership of his company in battle and one who exceeded the performance norms in a non-combat role. Pity!

For NCMs it would have been usual to have been awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM) for non-combat service.

My biggest issue with this article is that it implies that everyone is being recognized for service in Afghanistan.  At least 25% of the recipients, however, were recognized for things that absolutely nothing to do with Afghanistan.  The CF is involved in other things....

Back