• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How a medical OT works

tree hugger

Reaction score
Anyone know how long an OT medical is good for?  I'm wondering at what point they would require me to re-do it.

-th

IIRC, an OT medical shouldn't be different than any other.  Good for 5 years if under 40, 2 years if over 40.  If you've been deemed fit for a trade, haven't been in an accident, had a decrease in visual or auditory acuity (below applicable trade level), and haven't been put on a TCat (which involves another medical), I see no reason why the medical wouldn't still be valid.

Of course, there's always failing a PT test, but that's not medical.  ;)

Slight tangent:  My next medical should be in 2011; I'm 39.  Were I to get an out-of-cycle medical now, it would be valid until 2014, eliminating the 2011 and the 2013 medicals  (and avoiding the rotating finger!).

Would the health service consider giving an out-of-cycle medical to avoid two in the future?

If your 39 now then your due for your next medical at age 40 regardless of when your current medical is due.  As for the rotating finger only if required. 

I am currently waiting to see the dr at the end of the month for my first stint of tcat which i would imagine it will be six months for my achilles.  I am concerned that once my achilles heals it will be more likely to be re-injured cause it has been injured before.  I feel the current combat arms trade is not a good fit for me and my injury.  I want to do a VOT but can't while I am on tcat so I will have to wait until I am off tcat then i will go for a VOT.  How does the medical transfer work and at what point does someone get a med ot and how would I go about attempting to hint towards a med ot?

Also I was reading stuff in another forum that said something about a VOT season, what is this? When is it usually? What criteria do you need to meet before you can go for a VOT?

Thanks for anything you can provide

Usually, you go on your first T-Cat. If you still require time, you MAY be granted another T-Cat. At the end of that one, if you still aren't healed, you will more than likely wind up with a P-Cat. If you breach the task requirements of your current trade, you MAY be recommended for OT. This is a decision made by Ottawa, based on your limitations; you might just as easily be recommended for retention with limitations, or release. The MO has no part in it other than to lay out your limitations. You can not "hint" towards a medical OT.

For your part, as you appear to be an untrained Pte, you may not want to go down this path. After all, the CF doesn't have that much invested in you yet, so there's little to lose in recommending release.

As to a VOT, check with your chain of command, or do a search here. There's plenty of info available.

If you are off Tcat and not given another then you are considered fit for duty ( unless i am mistaken) thus no medical OT.

CDN Aviator said:
If you are off Tcat and not given another then you are considered fit for duty ( unless i am mistaken) thus no medical OT.

Forgot to mention that part. D'oh!

Back