• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do you get to be a BMQ instructor or a MOC instructor?

ab136

Inactive
Reaction score
How does a member become a BMQ instructor or a MOC instructor?  I'm sure your years of service has something to do with it.  Do you have to take additional courses, is it an appointment,is it duration for the position or it that your "job".  Just looking for info on how you got to where you are. :salute:

You have to be nominated by your regiment( pretty much your section commander, troop Commander or Platoon Commander, and in many cases RSM and CO) to send you on you PLQ.Dont expect PLQ without at least 3 yrs in for the reserves and Reg force its much longer. Once you complete your PLQ you then have to be tasked to the battle school or whatever school you are going to train at. Then you go there they evaluate if your up to par on instructor indoc and assign you a job.

WOW!!!  So these guys/gals are some of the best!  It sounds like it is quite an honour.  Very impressive, and good to know that these guys/gals actually know what's best.
Thankx

theyre supposed to be the best anyway... ive had a couple of lame instructors, but many of them were excellent.

Also, I dunno about regforce, but in the reserves, in my unit anyway, to be promoted to MCpl (95% of the time, section commanders and teachers on your QL3 or MOC courses are MCPL, sometimes CPL as a 2IC) you need PLQ, and your 2A gunners course.I think you might also need something called a 2B course or something, but that might be part of PLQ.Im not sure, I didnt get there yet, im in the process of doing 2a. :salute: :cdn:

Just a point on semantics, no one is ever promoted to MCpl, they are appointed.

Ability, it is the best way to judge a person for promotion. I have seen Reg members hit MCpl in 3 years and Sgt in 5. I have also seen Res Cpls who take 10 years before they are ready to instruct or take the PLQ.

To be sent on a leadership course, every unit usually sets up a merit list to determine who is the best candidate for each course.

SHARP WO

The merit list is the ideal, but "press ganging" is sometimes closer to the mark. Meaford suffers a chronic shortage of Reserve instructors for ARC year after year, mostly due to the lack qualified instructors, and the lack of of support and insane working conditions the MCpls and Sgts are expected to work under, so the implication for most people is "go, or else". If you are serving a Class B or BA contract, then your summer is already planned for you.

I hope the other Areas/Brigades are not in the same boat, but given the chronic shortages of everything, I wouldn't be surprised to discover the same things happening there as well.

Back