• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How relevent is dental health ?

Proud_Newfoundlander

Inactive
Reaction score
How important is dental health to being accepted in the Canadian forces ?

I remember me uncle being denied because he had braces.  And I have a few fillings and generally lukewarm good teeth.

Slightly out of my lane, but speaking from experience.  I'm about 3 fillings away from being Jaws from the Bond movies and that didn't stop me.

He may have only been denied until the braces came off as he would have required regular orthodontist visits and BMQ is far too hectic to allow for that.

Personnel who are already in the military and get braces are put on a temporary geographic/medical category until the braces come off for the very same reason.

You have fillings?  Not a problem.

Piggy backing on this topic,

How is dental care? I heard stories where the dentist would put his knee on your chest and just rip your teeth out without proper anesthetic (this happened to my dad). I have slightly more teeth in my mouth than the average person (all but one of my wisdom teeth is fully grown in, no issues) they aren't going to rip out my extra teeth needlessly are they?

tovasshi said:
Piggy backing on this topic,

How is dental care? I heard stories where the dentist would put his knee on your chest and just rip your teeth out without proper anesthetic (this happened to my dad). I have slightly more teeth in my mouth than the average person (all but one of my wisdom teeth is fully grown in, no issues) they aren't going to rip out my extra teeth needlessly are they?

::)

That is absolute rubbish.  The Dental services provided by the CF are NOT out of the Dark Ages.  Perhaps your Dad also told you the story of how he walked ten miles uphill to go to school and then had to turn around and walk ten miles uphill to get home at the end of the day too?  So?  You have more than 32 teeth?  Interesting.

tovasshi said:

You'll find the CF has progressed quite a bit since your father's time.  Should it be learned that you have more than your issued 32 teeth, Dental Svcs will, with surgical precision, punch you in the gob until the appropriate amount of teeth fall out -- I hear they've upgraded their procedure to include lead-free metal pipes.  To alleviate any undue stresses, you will not be informed of when or even if this procedure will happen.  Now, if that isn't better than anesthesia, I don't know what is.

I hear they've upgraded their procedure to include lead-free metal pipes

Oh good! That's a relief!

It's hard to tell when my dad exaggerates...

The dental work I had done 30+ years ago, albeit in the US, was so professional I was shocked when I had to go to a civilian dentist...no comparison.

My uncle and the braces, it had something to do wit insurance or something, mind you this is in the late 70's-early 80's

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
My uncle and the braces, it had something to do wit insurance or something, mind you this is in the late 70's-early 80's

What insurance would that be ?

Most questions can be (or should be) answered by referring to the published standards.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/policies/med_standards/engraph/cfp154_chap4_e.asp
CHAPTER 4

DENTAL ENROLMENT STANDARDS AND DENTAL CONDITION ON ENROLMENT

Authority

1. Director Dental Services (D Dent Svcs) is the authority for the Dental Enrolment Standards.

Dental Enrolment Standards

2. The review and evaluation of each member's dental health status must describe if there are any limitations which will adversely affect operational capability and / or preclude the member's ability to perform and function safely and efficiently in the military environment. Any case in which restrictions for recruit applicants are being considered due to dental conditions should be assessed by a dental officer (DO).

3. As a general guideline, the minimum dental standard for enrolment in the CF is considered to be a complement of natural or artificial teeth in sufficient number and occlusal relationship to allow for adequate mastication and communication functions.

4. The partial absence of natural teeth and/or the carious and other defective conditions of those remaining which are within the scope of treatment of the average military dental facility will normally constitute acceptable dental fitness for enrolment in the CF.

5. The following conditions may result in rejection of an applicant or deferral of enrolment until the condition is corrected:

a. an unrepaired cleft lip and/or palate;

b. acute or chronic temporomandibular joint dysfunction and severe limitations of jaw opening which require immediate treatment and/or continual follow-up treatment;

c. a malignant lesion that requires long term therapy; and

d. abnormal maxillofacial skeletal relationship which compromises functional ability and interferes with the ability to perform military duties, for example the inability to wear a respirator or retain a diving regulator.

6. The following conditions will result in deferral of enrolment until the condition is corrected:

a. edentulous with no satisfactory denture replacement;

b. any pathological lesion or condition which could be exacerbated while on normal military duty; and

c. the active phase of orthodontic treatment, if such treatment is required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition. If orthodontic treatment is not required to treat an underlying functional disability/medical condition, enrolment may proceed if the applicant signs the Statement of Understanding on orthodontic treatment which is found in the Recruiter's Handbook, Annex D to Chapter 2.

7. The dental standards for enrolment in the Canadian Forces shall apply:

a. to applicants for the Regular Force;

b. to applicants for the Reserve Entry Training Program at Service Colleges;

c. to members of the Reserves making application for transfer to the Regular Force; and

d. for employment

(1) on Class C service;

(2) on Class B service for a period in excess of 6 months; or

(3) as active aircrew (including Reserve Class A Active Aircrew).

Dental Enrolment Standards Assessment

8. The initial oral assessment of an applicant is normally made during the enrolment medical examination. At this inspection, the civilian or military physician is required to make an overall assessment of the individual's oral health status as it relates to potential employment limitations. If the status of the candidate's dental health is of concern, the attending MO is to seek necessary collaboration with a DO at the nearest military base or by an authorized civilian dentist before appropriate enrolment decisions are made.

9. All applicants will be assessed on an individual case-by-case basis. In any case in which the rejection of the applicant is recommended by the dental officer, the evaluation must clearly indicate why the applicant's dental condition precludes functioning in the military environment.

Dental Condition on Enrolment Examinations

10. Not all members who are to be enrolled in the CF have the same entitlement to treatment services within the Canadian Forces Dental Care Program (CFDCP). As such, those members authorized to receive comprehensive care (CFAO 35-4) are to be provided with a separate, detailed Dental Condition on Enrolment Examination by a dental officer.

11. In peacetime, this requirement for specific dental enrolment documentation applies to members of:

a. the Regular Force;

b. the Reserve Entry Training Program at Service Colleges; and

c. the Reserves making application to transfer to the Regular Force or for employment:

· on Class C service; or
· on Class B service for a period in excess of 180 days.

12. The Dental Condition on Enrolment Examination record, including radiographs, is used as an initial document for forensic identification. The importance of this record cannot be overemphasized.

13. Some conditions may not be properly diagnosed until the applicant is enrolled and has commenced training. Release proceedings shall not be initiated without National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) approval, and only after evaluation by a dental officer. Should release be recommended, this action will be taken in conjunction with local base and medical authorities.

Waiver

14. In unique and unusual circumstances the dental enrolment standards may be waived by NDHQ/D Dent Svcs.

My teeth are in terrible shape thanks for chewing tobacco, cigarettes, coffee and just about everything else.  I still got in.

The more interesting part is that the dental exam doesn't come up until like week 4-6 of BMQ (can't remember exactly when)

Back