• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How the Navy treats its kids ... er, sailors (From: Re-Royalization)

medicineman

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
FSTO said:
FDU(P) like FDU(A) are just far enough away from the adults that they can get away with quite a bit, same as with the DC schools.

Funny you used the term adults...since we were actually treated that way, vice units elsewhere...including my own Mothership.  I figured that after 20 something years of service and a Crown on my uniform that I was no longer a Private but was soon mistaken  ::).

MM

Agree on the adult daycare aspect. Anyone who has worked at both the Halifax dockyard and Shearwater would likely agree that 99.9% of the handholding happens on the Hfx side.

medicineman said:
I on the other hand lost it at that person, since they were a PO2 and should have known better (this was literally my first day at Dockyard in Esquimalt).

Therein lies the problem that vexed you so.  They're chickenshyte, nitpicking, mofo's on that coast who have nothing better to do with themselves.  Hated any time I spent on that base for those reasons.

jollyjacktar said:
Therein lies the problem that vexed you so.  They're chickenshyte, nitpicking, mofo's on that coast who have nothing better to do with themselves.  Hated any time I spent on that base for those reasons.
I guess we can fire a broadside at the East Coast as well. CFNOS and STAD is home to the most obtuse and spiteful group of self important arses in the RCN. It is beyond their intellectual capability to even consider that there is an ocean outside of their little east coast NATO bubble.

#6. "The east coast vs. west coast debate will not be solved till either the west coast has an earthquake and sinks into the ocean or the east coast sobers up."
http://army.ca/forums/threads/103022.0

As I watch the East and West Coast Navies slug it out here, I can't help but wonder when they will turn their attention to the People's Front of Judea...

dapaterson said:
As I watch the East and West Coast Navies slug it out here, I can't help but wonder when they will turn their attention to the People's Front of Judea...

Surely you are referring to the 'Judean People's Front'? 8)

daftandbarmy said:
Surely you are referring to the 'Judean People's Front'? 8)

Either of you got any Wolf's nipple chips...

jollyjacktar said:

There are/were a lot of people there that need/needed to shake their heads until the rattling stops/stopped... basic leadership/parenting - if you want to enforce regulations, don't do it selectively, do it to everyone.  I don't know how many people I politely and not so politely took aside about everything from hands in their pockets to walking around like school kids (P2 with their pink lunch bag) to officers ignoring me when I saluted them to basically looking like Paddy Bag'O'Shyte.

I can see where some of the hand holding has to come from when you see how many charges for drugs, drunk and stupid, AWA and such came out of the Fleet School and off the ships.  I've worked with 2 infantry battalions and hadn't seen as many charges from them combined as I'd seen in Vic...as the Clinic WO, the Cox'n at CFFS(E) basically had me on speed dial to book fit for detention medicals pretty much every other Friday (incidentally, that Chief didn't need to shake his head - he was switched on).  And don't get me going about the blind drug testing that came up like 30% positive or so for PO's and Chiefs (the things that come up at Fleet Chief's O Groups).  Esquimalt was one of the few bases I did duty where I consistently had defaulters to supervise...and since for some weird twist of Duty Kharma, I ALWAYS worked Hallow'een or it's designated Friday or Saturday  ::), so a lot of babysitting and not much sleep.  Thankfully the guardhouse is right next to Nelly's.

I could go on...but now my coffee is kicking in and I'm relaxing  :nod:. 

MM

FSTO said:
I guess we can fire a broadside at the East Coast as well. CFNOS and STAD is home to the most obtuse and spiteful group of self important arses in the RCN. It is beyond their intellectual capability to even consider that there is an ocean outside of their little east coast NATO bubble.

CFNOS... that's because they're DIBS.  I agree.  Bos'n U was a special place, but honestly, I always thought that was because it was filled with Bos'ns.  They are a funny breed.

If the system worked...we would not see the need for random times when CPOs are stationed at the dockyard gates to "catch infractions". If the unit / ship level divisional worked in a perfect world, there would be no need for base / formation / fleet CPOs to post people at the gates.

As a LS, I respectfully pointed out dress errors and was duly ignored.
God forbid, if I ever forgot my "war of 1812 pin".    :facepalm:

Medicineman - curious if you think the presence of the schools skews either the leadership culture of the larger bases, or the actual number of dirtbags?

Also, curious how well-established and stable current ship's companies are in comparison to those infantry battalions.

Having dress police showed nothing other than a lack of both discipline and leadership in the RCN, and leadership from the Jnr NCO level and up.  IMO it also showed the snr leadership didn't really know how to fix those 2 problems.

I saw the dress police at Stad and shook my head. 

This is not an RCN issue.  I am currently part of 4 Can Div at CFB Kingston.  I just wrapped up the 3 previous years at CFJSR and before that TDd to 2 Svc for work up and deployment for roughly 14 months. 

I have seen nothing different across these environments.  I would love talk about the last 12 months but seeing as I am still with this unit I won't say a thing. 

It's all the same shitty thing.  No environment is better or worse as far as I can see.

It was an issue at Stad.  I also saw MCpls with big lace loops not tucked in boots and other junk like that in Shearwater, sitting beside WOs at the MIR and nothing being said.

I never saw anything like that before, ever, on a army base (I don't consider Kingston an army base).

Last summer at Wing Supply, I saw a Pte who had obviously not shaved before coming into work.  I pulled him aside and asked him if he had a shaving chit, which he did not.  When I said the obvious "you do know you are supposed to shave" stuff he said "I don't work for you".

My reply of "well why don't we go across the road so you can explain this theory to the WCWOs Assistant?" changed the attitude and he started to remember he was in the military.

It is slipping across the board and it's a leadership failure everyone from Jnr NCOs to the Top needs to follow through on. 

Halifax Tar said:
No environment is better or worse as far as I can see.

Well, from what I've seen the RCAF is the next best thing to being in the military  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
It was an issue at Stad.  I also saw MCpls with big lace loops not tucked in boots and other junk like that in Shearwater, sitting beside WOs at the MIR and nothing being said.

I never saw anything like that before, ever, on a army base (I don't consider Kingston an army base).

Last summer at Wing Supply, I saw a Pte who had obviously not shaved before coming into work.  I pulled him aside and asked him if he had a shaving chit, which he did not.  When I said the obvious "you do know you are supposed to shave" stuff he said "I don't work for you".

My reply of "well why don't we go across the road so you can explain this theory to the WCWOs Assistant?" changed the attitude and he started to remember he was in the military.

It is slipping across the board and it's a leadership failure everyone from Jnr NCOs to the Top needs to follow through on.

Consider Kingston what you want its part of 4 Can Div and therefore a CA base, with logger units as a caveat.

About a month after joining CFJSR we were deploying the regiment to the field, en mass, for what was the first time in 8 years.  So I tried to hold a kit inspection for my RQ staff.  I was pulled aside by my Sgt and was told he thought I was being mean. 

I wear NCDs every day, and I press them before ware, and polish my boots every night.  You should see the odd looks I get from people around here for meeting the expected dress standards.

I have to say, I have spent the last 2 weeks assisting with a BOI at RMCC and it is the only place I have seen Sgts and WOs act their rank, while in Kingston.  They have no issue you stopping a cadet and fixing a dress and deportment issue.

I was shocked when I arrived in Pet to see people parking on grass, the shacks were a mess and the dress standards were deplorable.  Seemed to me that the grungier you looked the cooler more warriorish you were. 

If you want to know why the MCpls and below have the attitudes they have look at the Sgts and up.  They are the ones to blame. 

I say again, you can point fingers all you want at the RCN but this is not their issue.  This is an issue right across the CAF.

dapaterson said:
Well, from what I've seen the RCAF is the next best thing to being in the military  >:D

I have never worked with/for the RCAF but I hear the same things  >:D

quadrapiper said:
Medicineman - curious if you think the presence of the schools skews either the leadership culture of the larger bases, or the actual number of dirtbags?

Also, curious how well-established and stable current ship's companies are in comparison to those infantry battalions.

Honestly, I'd expect the presence of the schools to make people more cognizant of their own dress and deportment, attitudes, etc, as people should be setting the examples for young'ens to follow. When I was a baby medic in Borden, we knew damn well we were being watched at all times by just not our own staff and more senior students, but others from other schools, who had little reporting chains.  Now not so much.  I do think though it is largely a change in leadership culture (or lack of it general) - the generation of "me".  The "me" crowds don't go out of their way for anything or anyone...

As for the ships vs battalions, again it varies with leadership within the units or even sub-units.  I had a CSM that would pack on loads of extra work for someone vice charging them unless was absolutely necessary - another in the same battalion would charge people at the drop of a hat for something that would make some old school RSM's cringe.  I'd have to say that if someone is getting charged, it's often because something got out of hand at a lower level - MCpl/MS.  Some of thoe ships had a lot of problems that likely needed to be dealt with.

MM

This thread is quite an interesting read. Not for the slagging of the different environments, or the "you won't believe what I saw" commnets, but for how it provides a counter point to other posts in different threads. In the sexual harassment thread, there is a tangent on how RMC doesn't provide the leadership to allow Ocdts to become adults, it babies them too much and enforces an ethos that someone is always keeping an eye on you. Yet here, that is exactly what we are saying needs to happen to keep people cognizant we are in the military and there are standards. That it is actually beneficial leadership quality. I can't find the exact thread at the moment, but I read in another thread that there is too much emphasis on dress and deportment and not enough on soldiering skills and things that "matter" (maybe its in the Buttons and bows thread).

There is no doubt we have allowed the standard to be relaxed. This wouldn't be a bad thing, if the majority of CAF members has the common sense to know when and what is acceptable. In this day and age, I think there are greater numbers of individuals who do not possess that common sense.

Back