• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I am a complete failure in life or can serve this great country?

Vanaka

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello I would like to start this off by saying that this is my first post here. So i have been in this country for about 4 years and 7 months. I just received my citizenship as  well and I want to know the possible ways to join the army and the difficulty that it will require.
Just a few things about me.
I am an active member in four high school senior sports clubs annually(Tennis(Ranked 3rd in the region) ,Football(Capitan),Swimming(not the best) and Shotput(1st in the region). I am also in three school clubs. The Investors, Manager and President of the Websmasters(deals with Website editing , school news etc.) and I am the President of the Weight Room club where i teach people basic knowledge about nutrition(macros etc.) and exercising(compounds vs isolation and etc).However all this information is useless. I did not know how to speak a single word in English and I did fine grade 9-10 with 90%+ marks but grade 11/12 I started having a lot of trouble with school. In grade 11 my average dropped to about 75% and I ended up getting a 60% in grade 12 clearly because I just never did work in school. Nevertheless I sat on but and this current year  I am getting an 83+ average which is acceptable for the ROTP  program until I read that they look at all of your marks. After reading this I have been depressed as hell but my point is. Since I probably have no chances of getting into ROTP what other ways are there to join the army and work for the forces Also I have no trouble at all with any of the example test and unlike the rest of the people on the board I am really unaware of  the simplified terms used for programs/test and ranks.I also graduated high school not that its important but just to put it out there

Just to sum it up what are the odds of me ever working at the forces.

Welcome to Army.ca.

Two things:

You just registered on the site. Take some time and read through older threads here, and search for topics of interest. You will likely find answers to questions that you haven't even thought of yet.

Secondly, nobody here can give you anything approaching a solid answer to your main question. Visit a recruiting centre and talk to a recruiter.

Like Loachman said, visit your local recruiter to discuss your options and to get an idea of how competitive your application will be. From what I understood from your post, I wouldn't call you a failure at all. You may have had a period of bad grades, but you also have a lot of strong grades on the record. Further to that, you have what I would consider a very strong record of extracurricular activities. All your athletic achievements and leadership roles in several clubs will be highly valued by the CF. The CF likes to see things like high grades, sports, other interests, volunteering, and leadership activities on your application. Speak to the the recruiter regarding your chances of getting into the ROTP program. There are other avenues for you too. If you want to be an officer but do not qualify for ROTP, you can go to university on your own, and then apply as DEO (Direct Entry Officer) upon gradution. If you don't want to do that, you can apply now as a NCM (Non-Commissioned Member). But begin at your local CF Recruiting Centre. Good luck.

Vanaka said:

If you don't apply, zero.  As others have said, go to a recruiting centre and ask.

I also think that while you have the interest, the military isn't the only way to "serve this great country".  If you aren't offered a spot in the CF, that doesn't mean you're a "complete failure in life" as you've described it; there are many people competing for a limited amount of spots, and not everyone will get in right now. 

demotivational-poster-sacrifice.jpg

Vanaka said:
Hello I would like to start this off by saying that this is my first post here. So i have been in this country for about 4 years and 7 months. I just received my citizenship as  well and I want to know the possible ways to join the army and the difficulty that it will require.
Just a few things about me.
I am an active member in four high school senior sports clubs annually(Tennis(Ranked 3rd in the region) ,Football(Capitan),Swimming(not the best) and Shotput(1st in the region). I am also in three school clubs. The Investors, Manager and President of the Websmasters(deals with Website editing , school news etc.) and I am the President of the Weight Room club where i teach people basic knowledge about nutrition(macros etc.) and exercising(compounds vs isolation and etc).However all this information is useless. I did not know how to speak a single word in English and I did fine grade 9-10 with 90%+ marks but grade 11/12 I started having a lot of trouble with school. In grade 11 my average dropped to about 75% and I ended up getting a 60% in grade 12 clearly because I just never did work in school. Nevertheless I sat on but and this current year  I am getting an 83+ average which is acceptable for the ROTP  program until I read that they look at all of your marks. After reading this I have been depressed as hell but my point is. Since I probably have no chances of getting into ROTP what other ways are there to join the army and work for the forces Also I have no trouble at all with any of the example test and unlike the rest of the people on the board I am really unaware of  the simplified terms used for programs/test and ranks.I also graduated high school not that its important but just to put it out there

Hey Mr. Weight Room Club president... where are you from, originally? There might be some folks on here with a similar background that can give you a steer.

Also, you might be able to beat me up but you'll never catch me  ;D

Ways to join:
1. Reserves, Serve your country part time.

2. NCM, do this without a degree and without ROTP

3. DEO, Go to university, pay for your education in a field that is relevant to a position to seek in the military, then apply, or do this route WHILE doing number 1 above.

4. ROTP. Apply to have the forces pay for your education while paying you to go to school, competitive very it is.

5. Post on a web board about what you want to do while actually doing nothing....this has zero chances of working.

visit www.forces.ca and look in the jobs section, seek a position that interests you and then look at the requirements.  Once you see these you will know the route you can pursue.  The longer you wait....the longer the wait will be.

Best of luck, I waited 10 years to initially apply

Back