• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ID Cards in Theatre

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
A question about ID cards 'in theatre'.

The card I have has a nice 'sternum up' shot of me all nice and proud in my regimental DEUs, medals, collar dogs showing etc. It's also got a signature on the back. This amount of detailed information would obviously be a liability to anyone who was, God forbid, made a PW.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the level of detail that is included on ID cards carried by personnel in theatre these days? I assume it's a different one, and pretty bare bones in terms of personal details.

Cheers.

On my NDI 20:

DEUs, shot just above my nametag. You can see my collar dogs, although not very well-defined. I guess you'd have to know what you're looking for to see that it's Jimmy.

Given names, surname, status Res\Reg\NCM\Officer, expiry date on the front.

Back has DOB, SN, Blood Group, Serial # of the ID, and Signature.

I know HoM had his NDI 20 with him when he got wounded in Afghanistan, seeing as he got it back, and it had dried blood on it, as well as his 404s.

Thanks for that quick reply.

Kind of concerning in some ways. Having done some tactical questioning of PWs on E&E type exercises, and talking to guys who had actually been PWs before, anything you can get ahold of related to regimental affiliation or signatures can be used to bring alot of pressure to bear on the detainee (here's a good suggestion for you, never, ever get a regimental tattoo). The ability to identify units its of critical short term importance for battlefield int shops at the lowest levels e.g., Battle group. I remember the British ID card was very sparse in terms of the info provided. Basically compliant with the minimums required by the Geneva Convention and not much else.

The people we are fighting in Afghanistan are not signatory to the GC, nor do they follow the guidelines of POW capture. Therefor conduct after capture rules are not necessarily the same as for an en that does follow the above rules.

IMHO, pers going over do not get adequate briefs about conduct after caputer prior to msns. At least the tng I received prior to my last 2 msns was insufficient.

daftandbarmy said:
A question about ID cards 'in theatre'.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the level of detail that is included on ID cards carried by personnel in theatre these days? I assume it's a different one, and pretty bare bones in terms of personal details.

Cheers.

Short answer.....No. OPSEC.

Locking this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back