• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In Remembrance - Sgt Short 3 RCR

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Roto 0 CIMIC Project in honour of Sgt Short.  Unfortunately I did not get to the projects for Cpl Murphy and Cpl Beerenfenger.  Lest we forget.

Not sure if the plaque can be made out:

Sergeant Robert Alan Short
"Shorty"
15 October 1961-02 October 2003

This plaque is dedicated to Qal-eh-ye Moslem School to commemorate the life of a True Canadian Hero who died in the Line of Duty serving the people of Afghanistan.

May his life serve as a symbol of Peace and Hope for the future.

Pro Patria

Light Winds. Soft Landings.

:salute:

Forgive the ignorance, but was he the sniper who was killed in that mine incident? I read the RCR websites a lot but wanted to make sure I knew who this was.

And I have to second that school thing with regards to a Sergeant, it's a very nice gesture.

There are schools named after Cpl Murphy and Cpl Beerenfenger as well.  My sources state that each school received $100,000 for renovations and providing desks and chalkboards in each room.  They are pretty well kitted out by Afghanistan standards.

Gunner said:
There are schools named after Cpl Murphy and Cpl Beerenfenger as well. My sources state that each school received $100,000 for renovations and providing desks and chalkboards in each room. They are pretty well kitted out by Afghanistan standards.

Sorry Gunner, here's the facts:

Qal Eh Ye Moslem School with desks and boards, complete construction - $112,867.00 USD - dedicated to Sgt Short

NOOR Clinic, Children's Burn Unit, new construction with equipment - $35,000.00 USD - dedicated to Cpl Beerenfenger

Dur Khanai School, renovation - $55,283.00 USD - dedicated to Cpl Murphy

Thanks Recceguy.  I didn't get to the other two sites.

Cheers,

Steve said:
Forgive the ignorance, but was he the sniper who was killed in that mine incident? I read the RCR websites a lot but wanted to make sure I knew who this was.

And I have to second that school thing with regards to a Sergeant, it's a very nice gesture.
In Jan 03, I went on ex with 3 RCR as the Coy Sig for Nov Coy.  I never got the chance to meet Sgt Short then but did meet him while we were going through the med dag for Afghanistan.  He asked a few questions to two Cpl infanteers about different items of military issues.  The last questions was regarding comms security.  Both his guys answered incorrectly so I turned and gave the answer.  He looked at me and saw my cap badge and said hey, no cheating.  We talked a little about tours that we had been on.  He seamed like an excellent Sgt.  Very approachable.

Shorty was outstanding soldier and he will never be forgotten ........AIRBORNE

Thanks for the pictures.   When Shorty was here in Gagetown I had the pleasure of working with him on a number of occasions and even when he came back to Gagetown on courses at the INF School he would come around stores looking for friends   -   you know to catch up and say Hi.   Before I left the BN here (2RCR), I was deployed with I Coy to AfgaAfghanistand when Shorty got on the ground he showed up once again to say hi and get what ever info he could.   But being the guy that Shorty was he brought us a Tim Horton's coffee all the way from Canada just for us.

Rob was the consumate professional and always had time for his friends.

Gone but not forgotten.

Thanks for posting this. Shorty was a real good friend. It was very hard to take when I heard the news. A good soldier, a good Father, a good  Husband. When you put that all together he is/was and EXCELLENT man.
I am proud to call him a friend and an honor to work with him.
GOD speed Shorty you'll truly be missed

Had the privilege to work with shorty for two years in Para coy. He put me throw my pionear course And recently in Afghanistan. He allways had time for the little guy. He will always be a soldiers soldier.:

Gone but not forgotten.  AIRBORNE

New street to honour Jamie Murphy
WebPosted Apr 5 2005 07:19 AM NDT
CBC News

ST. JOHN'S  â ”  A new street in St. John's will be named in honour of Cpl. Jamie Murphy.

Murphy, 26, was killed while on a peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan in 2004.

Mayor Andy Wells presented a replica street sign to Murphy's family at Monday's weekly city council meeting.

Jamie Murphy Street will be located in the east end of the city, in a new subdivision near Stavanger Drive.

Murphy, who lived in Conception Harbour, was killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up near the Canadian base in Kabul.

He guys, I meant to post this some time ago, some of you know and some don't that Jamie and I were friends from birth to his death. When the actual street is done, I'll post some pics, there will not be any of the family, I do have some but they're very personal. Well loved and remembered all. Pro Patria

Back