• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intermittent Fasting for optimized training performance

ontheedge

Inactive
Reaction score
I’m seeing a lot of threads and comments on the importance of eating and meals etc. Just curious if anyone here has experimented with intermittent fasting and seen any improvements. I fasted prior to the fitness and aptitude test (which was in early afternoon) and not only was my performance good, it put we ahead of most of the other folks.

I’m wondering if guys have fasted all day during field training and then wolfed down large meals at night.

ontheedge said:
I’m seeing a lot of threads and comments on the importance of eating and meals etc. Just curious if anyone here has experimented with intermittent fasting and seen any improvements. I fasted prior to the fitness and aptitude test (which was in early afternoon) and not only was my performance good, it put we ahead of most of the other folks.

I’m wondering if guys have fasted all day during field training and then wolfed down large meals at night.

I have done intermittent fasting, but only in Garrison. Only eat between 2pm and 6pm. Can't do it in the field, need all the energy I can get.

ontheedge said:

For reference to the discussion,

Fasting before and after BMQ.
https://army.ca/forums/threads/84239/post-1506625.html#msg1506625
OP: "I actually fast daily, for many months now. I stick to one meal a day, hitting all the macros I need and all, and it has worked out beautifully. On top of that, I also do low carb, which has also worked out beautifully.

Please understand, I am not religious, and I am not doing this for religious purposes."

ModlrMike said:
You will probably find that your caloric needs are greater at BMQ than they normally would be. I suggest you may want to go with the flow until BMQ is over and you can manage your meal plan more independently.

dangerboy said:
Having taught Infantry courses before I recommend that you don't try fasting during your Infantry course.

Golly.  The good thing about these forums is that every question ever asked is in here.  The bad thing about these forums is that every question ever asked is in here!  It's actually virtually impossible to find previous threads even though I searched... so the moderator will always be able to say "this has already been discussed here here here and here"...

lolz.  anyhow helpful information.  asked and answered 10x over.

ontheedge said:
....not only was my performance good, it put we ahead of most of the other folks.

How do you THAT was what put you ahead of the other folk? You sound like you already take health and fitness (and performance) very seriously. Maybe it was just that you were more prepared, not that you hadn't had a meal yet?

ontheedge said:

If you make it into the Infantry you'll find out all about that.... and get paid too! :)

ontheedge said:

Hey, man.

Mariomike quoted me in what I posted, and the replies to it, but I gotta tell ya... It varies per person. I've had nothing but success with IE. Having said that, I am not in the military yet, so I can't comment on the field stuff.

What I can comment on, though, is the fact that it will improve your fitness. I had to do a lot of trial and error for this, but the results are much better than I expected. I would not believe the bullcrap that is behind the "Fasting is bad for you" nonsense. It has numerous benefits. I've seen positive and negative "reviews" about IE, just like there are in "Low Carb", which I stopped because I like my carby foods. :)

At the end of the day, you know your body best. That's where Trial and Error comes in. It varies per person. Some people don't like it, some people can't handle it, all kinds of different reasons. I've been fasting for years now, and I would never go back. My workout routine, which has been revised many times over the years, is pretty intense and there isn't any "performance loss" or any negative effects from doing them while fasted. I should also mention that I fast for 24 hours at a time, and eat once a day, but you should already know you don't have to do this, as there are different ways to do IE. I just prefer it this way.

It seems to be more of a mental thing than anything else. When you're in a fasted state, your body produces Ketones, which are a better source of "fuel" than carbs. Naturally, if you've been doing this for a while, and your body has already adapted to this "lifestyle", then you should be more than fine.

Either way, I'll let you know personally in, hopefully, a few months.

I intermittent fast every year for a month.. yes, it does help your health in many ways.. but I would avoid it if you need lots of energy or you are burning loads of calories.

You may find yourself tiring out fast.. getting disoriented etc. Some people have very tough times fasting and not due to health reasons, for some reasons their bodies just dont take it well. Others, well, they can fast and run a marathon fine.. but I dont recommend it.

I have a lot of friends that fast 3x a week through the entire year and do not do to much to stay fit aside from that.. but they all seem to be top notch. So maybe try that to start?

Take as you will, just wanted to caution against it a little bit.
Abdullah

Back