• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Int'l Criminal Court "Collecting Information" on AFG Incidents

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This, from the Wall Street Journal - I can't wait to see if the Taliban get scrutinized as closely as anyone else....
Investigators at the International Criminal Court have begun looking into accusations of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Afghanistan to determine whether there is cause to open a formal investigation, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the court's chief prosecutor, said on Wednesday.

The prosecutor said forces of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization -- which include U.S. servicemen -- could potentially become the target of an ICC prosecution, as the alleged crimes would have been committed in Afghanistan, which has joined the war-crimes court. However, every nation has the right to try its own citizens for the alleged crimes, and the ICC can step in only after determining a national court was unable or unwilling to pursue the case.

The specter of international trials of U.S. troops was central to the Bush administration's objection to joining the court, and the U.S. hasn't ratified the Rome Statute that set up the ICC in 1998. While the Obama administration has spoken more positively of the court, the president hasn't signed the treaty, which would need Senate ratification.

Mr. Ocampo said the court was also looking into the actions of the Taliban....

I wonder if the investigators working the Taliban side of the issue get issued their orange jumpsuits ahead of time by the ICC or if they'll just wait for the TB to give them some used ones...should put a quick end to any war crimes that they've commited I'd think.

MM

Back