• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is a chemistry degree useful for an EME?

Flouf

Inactive
Reaction score
I am just finishing up my honors chemistry degree and I would like to apply for EME (DEO). I was speaking with a recruiter and she said that my chemistry degree is acceptable for this trade.

-Does anyone know of EME officers with chemistry degrees, or know if it would be useful for this particular MOC (especially for advanced training)?

Thanks.

Flouf said:
I am just finishing up my honors chemistry degree and I would like to apply for EME (DEO). I was speaking with a recruiter and she said that my chemistry degree is acceptable for this trade.

-Does anyone know of EME officers with chemistry degrees, or know if it would be useful for this particular MOC (especially for advanced training)?

Thanks.

Well, apparently...it is useful and acceptable for EME DEOs...just like the recruiter told you...or else they wouldn't have told you that.

Perhaps I should clarify.

It is my understanding that engineering trades are very diverse in nature. I would like to get a sense of what chemistry grads are doing in this MOC beyond what is described on the website.

Absolutely nothing. Almost any engineering degree is acceptable for EME.

The chance of said EME officer actually using their skills: almost zero. We have very few R&D positions available for EME types (or any type for that matter) since our old testing facility was shut down after the LSVW testing "problems." (not saying the two were related in any way, I'm just saying  ;))

EME officers are largely: personell administrators (at the 2Lt, Lt level. Usually Second/Third Line Rear Echelon units); and fleet administrators (at the Capt level and at First Line Units). There are some positions available that take advantage of your degree and you never know when it will come in handy (an old Platoon Commander was able to assist me with technical drawings for a rather convoluted Technical Failure Report done a few years back, but he told me they were the first time he had used his Mech Eng Degree since leaving university).

With a background in Chem Eng, there are certain Navy Trades that really like you and some Air Force trades as well. A career path leading towards the JNCBD Coy (Joint Nuclear Chemical Biological Defence Company) might be right up your alley. If you actually want to use your degree, I cannot reccomned EME.

For some info on military applications of Chemical stuff check out RMC's Chem Eng department page.  http://www.rmc.ca/academic/chem/index_e.html

I know a couple of Chem Eng types, but I have no idea what trades they are. I can find out if you like. Send me a message or email with detailed questions and I can get you some info.

Wook
Arte et Marte

I am glad to hear that an EME's role is mostly personnel administration, thats why I want to be an officer in the first place! Your description of the EME trade seems to fit in with the description other engineering officers that I have spoken to gave me (naval and air force), which is one thing I wanted to verify.

JBNCD coy is certainly one thing I would like to get involved in if I can get the chance.

Thank-you very much.

My experience as an Avionics tech speaking to AERO officers (Aerospace Engineering) with engineering degrees is they could really use the skills from a business degree.

Wookilar is partially correct. Although most EME positions are middle management and leadership oriented there are some jobs as a junior officer where you could be called upon to use your Chem Eng knowledge. Project management at NDHQ is always looking at special coatings, paints for camouflage and concealment also in the field of IR suppression. A lot of our clothing have specialized chemical treatments. There is more to do than NBCD out there. Going EME opens many doors and some tent flaps too. If you want more info send me a PM and I'll get you more info if you want. 

Baden  Guy said:
My experience as an Avionics tech speaking to AERO officers (Aerospace Engineering) with engineering degrees is they could really use the skills from a business degree.

From my understanding and experience as a Ops Guy at a Squadron, the Engineering degree can come handy to an AERE officer.  Of course, it's mostly management stuff, but an understanding of what does what in the airplane is still essential.  Some might argue that you don't need an engineering degree to figure that out but it's probably easier if you have an engineering background.

Hey!

I think Wookilar summed it up pretty well.  The only thing I can add, being an EME O with a chem eng degree, is that it certainly won't be a hindrance having a chem degree as opposed to an engineering degree.  Throughout our training, we do learn some of the more technical aspects associated with EME, but not in as much depth as air/navy engineering trades - it's taught at an accessible level, and you do find it a bit much, you'll be on course with 20 guys with engineering degrees who'd be happy to help you out.

Best of luck.

Back