• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is the CF going to close Borden?

DCRabbit

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone knows. My brother in law is a Lt. Col and he keeps saying they're going to cos it serves no purpose. I grew up there and don't want to see my home gone. So I'm just curious if anyone knows anything... and I hope I put this is hte right forum. If not.. my apologies.

Before the CF could close CFB Borden, it would be necessary to relocate all of the functions being performed there to other locations. Has your brother-in-law explained how "Borden performing no function" can be applied to the various schools there? Where does he say that each school is going? What does he think will happen to the Ammunition Depot? Lastly, how can this all be happening in secret? For Borden to close, the plans would affect so many in so many trades that it could not be kept a secret, and there has certainly been no mention of it here.  Has your brother-in-law ever been to Borden? What occupation is he?

From Wikipedia, here is the list of major functions that your brother-in-law feels are not contributing to the CF:

Lodger formations and units

Lodger units

* 16 Wing
    * Central Ontario Gliding Center (COGC)
    * Canadian Forces Recruiting Group HQ (CFRG HQ)
    * 3rd Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (3 CRPG)
    * No. 400 Squadron RCAF
    * Regional Cadet Support Unit (Central) (RCSU Central)
    * 31 Canadian Forces Health Services Centre (31 CFHSC)
    * 1 Dental Unit
    * Civilian Human Resources Centre (CHRC)
    * 700 Communication Sqaudron (70 Comm Group)

Lodger training establishments

* Regional Cadet Instructor School (Central) (RCIS Central)
    * Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Technology and Engineering (CFSATE)
    * Canadian Forces Military Police Academy (CFMPA)
    * Canadian Forces Health Services Training Center (CFHSTC)
    * Canadian Forces Language School (CFLS)
    * Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency Training Centre Borden (CFPSA)
    * Air Command Academy (ACA)
    * Naval Reserve Training Division Borden (NRTD)
    * Post Recruit Education Training Centre (PRETC)

Training establishments

* Canadian Forces Fire Academy (CFFA currently amalgamated with CFNBCS)
    * Canadian Forces Chaplain School & Centre (CFChSC)
    * Canadian Forces Nuclear Biological Chemical School (CFNBCS currently amalgamated with CFFA)
    * Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics (CFSAL)
    * Canadian Forces School of Electrical Mechanical Engineers (CFSEME)
    * Canadian Forces Training Development Centre (CFTDC)

Trenton is going as well.
My dad, (a retired Sgt says so). ;D

My friends fathers cousin's coworkers mom said that petawawa and gagetown are gone as well.

Well, the rumor has it, that as soon as the G-20 is over, the park for the protesters, is going to be the new CF Ontario base, right after downsizing......

Ex-Dragoon said:
They have decided to move the Dockyard to Sable Island. :D

That would be about the right size, what with all the tied up water thingys and all..... ;D

Was just hearing the NDHQ building is being dismantled and moving to Swift Current Sk.      ::)

Many, many years ago the standing joke in the Staff College was that the absolute minimum, baseline force structure for the CF was 1R22eR in CFB Summerside. It was thought that Summerside was rock solid safe ... it wasn't.

There are, as Michael O'Leary says, some pretty large and important units in Borden that would be costly to move e.g. CFSATE to e.g. Cold Lake, CFSAL to Gagetown and CFSEME to ValCartier ... costly but not impossible.

But "closing" Borden would be a mistake. Toronto area reserve units, just as an example, need training areas and facilities within easy reach, but that's another, national, problem.

DCRabbit said:
I'm just curious if anyone knows. My brother in law is a Lt. Col and he keeps saying they're going to cos it serves no purpose. I grew up there and don't want to see my home gone. So I'm just curious if anyone knows anything... and I hope I put this is hte right forum. If not.. my apologies.

Based on the part in yellow, I'd have to guess that  your brother-in-law works for this Colonel.

E.R. Campbell,

We were (S'ide folks) all very surprised that CFB Summerside was closing, however it did (kind of) make sense, as Greenwood was so close and any of the schools and flying Sqn's could operate from either location (as it is now at 14 Wing).

Which leads to a question.  If Borden were to close, where would they relocate everything there to, and has this ever even been seriously considered in the past?

E.R. Campbell said:
But "closing" Borden Chilliwack would be a mistake. Toronto Vancouver area reserve units, just as an example, need training areas and facilities within easy reach, but that's another, national, problem.

Yet here we are with 1 CER in Edmonton, 1200 KMs from home, CFSME on the other side of the planet, and CFOCS just plain gone.  Never say never.

But Kat CFB ASU CHILLIWACK has reopened but it is just a former shell (if you want to call it that) of its self......

I heard 17 Wing was moving to Churchill then after a few years to Yellowknife. >:D

Rumor has it that 2 RCR is relocating to CFB GOOSEBAY........

;D
>:D

EDITED TO FIX SPELLING

DCRabbit said:
he keeps saying they're going to cos it serves no purpose.

No purpose ?

I'm sure the girls in Barrie would disagree with your brother-in-law !

Many, many years ago the standing joke in the Staff College was that the absolute minimum, baseline force structure for the CF was 1R22eR in CFB Summerside. It was thought that Summerside was rock solid safe ... it wasn't.

Edward- you forgot the Snowbirds.  If the Air Force, tomorrow, was limited to 10 airplanes- 9 of them would be painted red and white.  The tenth would probably be a Challenger...

Eye In The Sky said:
Which leads to a question.  If Borden were to close, where would they relocate everything there to, and has this ever even been seriously considered in the past?

A very quick and dirty staff check of sorts was done by the engineers (then Chief Construction and Properties branch in NDHQ) back in the '80s - for ADM(Mat). I emphasize the "quick and dirty" aspect but they came up with space trade-offs at various bases. The conclusion, if my memory serves, was that it would cost a lot - a real lot - to move the big schools but the savings from reducing a major base to reserve training centre (think Meaford) sized place were also considerable. I cannot remember why ADM(Mat) wanted to know; I'm pretty sure his office never proposed anything of the sort, but there was some interest, back in the '80s, from the Air Force, about making Cold Lake the "home" of the Air Force and that meant moving units, including the Aeropspace School, there.

I wonder about the long term savings of closing a major base such as Borden, or even of reducing it to an ASU Det to support reserve training. On the plus side, the population would drop dramatically, both the permanent staff and the trainees and PATs, etc. However, there would be a requirement for these peoples and their families to go somewhere and to operate and be supported when they get there.

Borden may be many things, but one thing that it is not, and that is remote. Some of the schools could go to places like Kingston and Winnipeg, but there is only so much space. I guess Valcartier or St Jean also are options, but again major construction would be required. Maybe major construction could be postponed, if empty barrack blocks could be converted into classrooms and offices. This was done in 1970 when the Combat Arms School and the Canadian Forces School of Artillery were consolidated in Gagetown. It was hardly morale building to lok up from one's desk to see the marks on the wall where the plumbing for urinals, toilets, sinks and showers was capped, as what had been latrines were converted to other purposes. In fact, despite a stated CF policy that building new accommodation at CTC was the number one priority, it was not until decades later that the project was finally implemented. False economy, I guess.

If they do close Borden, I hope the Golf Clubhouse stays, they serve a fine lunch.

BTW, what colour is the boathouse in Hereford?

dileas

tess

Any base closing is a (big P) Political issue first and foremost.  However, my impression is that the CF has a list of bases it would prefer to divest well before any changes are made in Borden.

In addition, and in my opinion, having a major base close to the Nation's largest airport and other transport facilities makes sense.  Other bases, with limited accessibility (Kingston, we're talking about you) cause far more angst and trouble and should be ahead on any list of divestment.

Back