• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a limit to the kind and amount to "kit" a member can have?

ab136

Inactive
Reaction score
Questions I have wanted to ask for a while now.
I'm in the recruiting process; not a member yet.  When someone does BMQ the idea is not to standout...blend in with everyone else. When you get posted, that idea seem to go out the window.  I see from different threads that members resole their boots with special treads, accessorize(sp) their kits with different pack and straps, and holder,and.........etc. I work in construction now and I am always looking for something; a tool, to make my job easier.  Is it the same in the CF?  Can you carry basically anything you think will make you job easier?  I have read that officers are the only ones permitted to carry side arms(pistols). True/False?  I have also read that some members accessorize(sp) their C7s'.  Do you have your own personal C7 or do you just get one randomly issued when needed?  Wow quite a few questions!!!

talking about accessorizing, would a 3 point tactical sling be acceptable at most units?  The regular sling is awful.

This will vary from unit to unit.  As I've said on here before, as a CO I had a policy designed to make soldiers generally look "similar" (NOT identical!), as I personally believe a degree of standardization in the types and locations of kit carried is operationally desirable.  Not everyone agrees, however, and I'm sure there are some units where a much greater degree of variety is allowed (correspondingly, there may be some that require an absolute degree of standardization).  There may also be circumstances where more variety is allowed; in the infantry, for instance, soldiers on recce or fighting patrols generally have wider arcs regarding personal kit (subject to the patrol commander's intent, of course) than they might while "in the line".

Before investing in a lot of spiffy kit, I'd make sure that you understand what you will and will not be allowed to use in the field in your particular situation.  You should also expect that, especially on earlier career courses, there probably will be very specific standards in place.  So, as you point out, if you're taking BMQ or SQ, you probably won't be allowed much latitude as to what you wear/carry and how/where you wear/carry it.  It's not so much about blending in as it is about instilling an attention to detail and overall discipline, but the effect is the same.

Thanks dgald.
So it's may not be a "free for all" once your posted.  I was just curious because there seems to be quite a bit of buy/sell/trade going on.

ab136 said:
Thanks dgald.
So it's may not be a "free for all" once your posted.   I was just curious because there seems to be quite a bit of buy/sell/trade going on.

I used to work with alot of 642's and i can honestly tell you that you wont have to worry about customizing your kit for the field too much !

Wow there really are 642's LOL
I've been on this site for well over a year and the only mention of 642's are the ones I have posted.
Nice to know there are a few around.
Thanks aesop081 your a breathe of hope

aesop081 could you put me in contact with a 642.  will not perster or both just like to converse about the trade.
any help will be appreciated.
i also understand if you don't want to get involved
thanks.
I just became a "member" with this post.  ;D

ab136 said:
aesop081 could you put me in contact with a 642.   will not perster or both just like to converse about the trade.
any help will be appreciated.
i also understand if you don't want to get involved
thanks.
I just became a "member" with this post.   ;D

I'll see what i can do...i'm out of the engineer world but i migh be able to help...after the hollidays that is !

Da_man said:
talking about accessorizing, would a 3 point tactical sling be acceptable at most units?   The regular sling is awful.

I Have a SWAT sling from Seals Action Gear. and so far its been a great piece of kit. definatly worth the 12 or 15 bucks i spent on it ( i cant remember exact cost.)

if you want to see how it works check the website.

Personally most people usually just go, "hey cool sling" or ask where i got it.. rarely will a Snr NCO make a big deal out of something small that increases a soldiers ability to do his job.

now.. just to clarify... as stated earlier. basic training is not the place to have gucci kit. it will either be stolen, or you'll get jacked up for having it.. if youre done youre basic, then go for it. if youre unsure ask a co-worker, Cpl or MCpl whos got some time in, what they think would be allowed and what wouldnt..
apart from that just use your discretion..

Cheers
  Josh

I though the three point sling was issue they call it the operational sling nsn 1005-21-911-7446
got one a few years ago on an ex.

my72jeep said:
I though the three point sling was issue they call it the operational sling nsn 1005-21-911-7446
got one a few years ago on an ex.

The one you are talking about is a POS...........it always breaks where the stings for the from hinge meet the actual sling, the "pull the dot" thing in the from jams and can often be a pain to undo/redo.........Alot of the comercial slings that are available ( as those guys are describing i think) are not that expensive and very effective.

aesop081 said:
The one you are talking about is a POS...........it always breaks where the stings for the from hinge meet the actual sling, the "pull the dot" thing in the from jams and can often be a pain to undo/redo.........Alot of the comercial slings that are available ( as those guys are describing i think) are not that expensive and very effective.

Agreed. Like i said. the one I bought was probabbly one of the best pieces of kit ive ever purchased. its very much like the Sling the Brits use on the L85 (SA80) it enables the C7 to be worn across the chest, Biathalon style, or when the buckle is depressed it moves to the ready position, or can hang down beside your leg. and as a member of either 21 or 22 svc found out on a botched Bde Ex its very difficult to disarm an indiviual who is wearing it.

best line from that ex.

In route sentry: Call the QRF, tell them we have prisoners

Us: We ARE the QRF............

:-[

I competed at Bisley this summer in the CENTSAM competition using a SA80A2. The sling that came with the weapon must be used during their competitions as it is a component of their "Integrated Weapons System". I really found that it was in the way during the majority of the matches. Mind you the rear swivel on the SA80A2 is located on the side of the butt and thus the strapping from the sling can get in the way when adopting a firing position in my experience.

I've not had the chance to use this sling with the C7A1 so I would not be able to comment about the compatibility of that sling on the C7A1. I can see that the 3 point sling would have an advantage while patrolling, but the user must be 100% sure where the release is located or else they would be in a world of hurt.

ab136 said:
I have read that officers are the only ones permitted to carry side arms(pistols). True/False?  

False.   There are many cases where NCMs - ie. support wpns operators - carry them.   Also they may be carried to task tailor the eqpt for certain missions or operations.   Generally, it's a side-arm or secondary weapon.   Very rarely, if ever, (nowdays) a primary weapon.

WRT issue kit:   To further amplify what dglad pointed out - standardisation also has real-time implications with respect to inter-operability and the realities of logistical support and the (re-)supply system during deployment on sustained operations.   If it's issue, and you are proficient in it's use, then when it breaks - and it will eventually - you can get it replaced through the system in what should be a reasonable time.   ie. if it's not on hand then an IOR, or immediate operational requirement, will be promulgated and it will become a priority.  

Given that I probably own more 'personal' kit than issue, I would still advise you to learn how to be proficient with the issue stuff first.   You can then adjust to whatever rules, regs, and common sense dictate once you get the chance.

Navalsnpr said:
I competed at Bisley this summer in the CENTSAM competition using a SA80A2. The sling that came with the weapon must be used during their competitions as it is a component of their "Integrated Weapons System". I really found that it was in the way during the majority of the matches. Mind you the rear swivel on the SA80A2 is located on the side of the butt and thus the strapping from the sling can get in the way when adopting a firing position in my experience.

I've not had the chance to use this sling with the C7A1 so I would not be able to comment about the compatibility of that sling on the C7A1. I can see that the 3 point sling would have an advantage while patrolling, but the user must be 100% sure where the release is located or else they would be in a world of hurt.

I still have an L85A1 sling from when my unit went over to england on an exchange with 158 (Royal Anglian) Transport Regiment RLC(V)

To be honest ive never tried adapting it to the C7. I dont think it would work given the vastly different dimentions of the two weapon systems.

also for those leftys out there. the L85 cannot be fired from the left shoulder... I found that out the hard way.. spent casing down the shirt are really hot!!

Cpl Thompson said:
also for those leftys out there. the L85 cannot be fired from the left shoulder... I found that out the hard way.. spent casing down the shirt are really hot!!

I'm surprised that they even let you attempt that. The cocking handle of the SA80's cycles after every discharge. You are really lucky that you didn't get a smack on the check with the cocking handle.

I would believe that you would need a longer sling in order to accommodate the use of that type of sling on a C7.

Navalsnpr said:
I'm surprised that they even let you attempt that. The cocking handle of the SA80's cycles after every discharge. You are really lucky that you didn't get a smack on the check with the cocking handle.

I would believe that you would need a longer sling in order to accommodate the use of that type of sling on a C7.

Heh Heh Heh.... Well they were blanks, and i was fireing from somewhere between the shoulder and the hip. we had been bumped on the road, and were going through our ambush drills, I jump out of a Bedford 4 ton and pop about 4 rounds in the direction of the enemy, before i remember that "oh yeah.. its a right handed weapon..."  :-[    I am lucky i didnt get whacked in the jaw by the cocking handle... lucky me  i guess...

and yes... the sling i ordered was specifically designed for the M16/C7. I also got the left handed version... and like i said. works great!

I know when we compete with the C7A1 we don't have to use the sling if you do not want to.

But at CENTSAM, you have to have the sling on your weapon and shoot with the sling around your body.

Makes for an interesting shoot if you are not used to it!!

I hear that from a lot of reservist.

I have a friend who is a gate guard in the British Army who must go out at least once every 31 days to re-qualify on all his weapons. Personally I think that every member of the CF who aren't part of a field unit should get out on the range at least twice a year.

Back