• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

It's not Easy Being Green

Proud_Newfoundlander

Inactive
Reaction score
The Telegram 3/29/08 (Transcontinental Media)

"By Aaeon Beswick

The Green Party's organizer in Newfoundland and Labrador, Ted Warren, has quit over the partie's ties with radical environmentalists.
  Environmental organizations have proven they arent  interested in ending the hunt, said Warren, founding editor of The Navigator and a former editor with The Telegram, who said he had to try to find common ground between protestors and sealers.
  "We were asking the animal rights groups, hte people who have protested the hunt, to put their money where their mouths are"
    The proposal he brought to animal rights groups would have seen them pay into a fund to compensate sealers for lost revenues if they stopped hunting.
    The sealers, in return, would vote on  afive-year moratorium on the commercial seal harvest.
    Animal rights' groups would provide $12 million-$15 million to help develop an eco-tourism industry in which former sealers would bring visitors to the ice floes in their boats to see the seals.
  "With lost sealing incomes being fully compensated throughout the five-year moratorium, the sealers would have nothing to lose and, potentionally, a great deal to gain from such a plan," said Warren.
    "It would then be up to all those who have so vehemently protested the hunt to either help us build a viable alternative or admit their failure and allow us to go back to harvesting seals in the same way that we have for generations."
    If sealers were convinced they could make more money through eco-tourism, at the end of the five year trial they could vote on whether to end the commercial hunt permanently.
    The personal use hunt would not be affected.But Warren's proposal was shot down by organizations including Greenpeace and the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) after preliminary discussions.
    " When you consider that they're raising between $60 million-$100 million a year to protest the hunt, 412 million-$15 million annually to end it isn't very much. I suppose I was naive to think they'd ever follow through"
      Warren claims he was told by Greenpeace and the IFAW that the organizations considered the hunt already dead due to an upcoming vote by the European Union (EU) on a proposed importation ban of seal pelts.
      "That's almost a laughable position because an EU ban would probably affect pelt prices, but won't end the commercialhunt," said Warren.
      "I got the sense that they know it won't end it and that, ultimately, they're content to keep on protesting and raising money."
      Warren said the final straw for him was when Green Party Leader Elizabeth May condemned the federal government for arresting protest vessel "Farley Mowat", owned by the Sea Shepard Society and members of its crew.
      "Some of the fishermen in the Gulf are my friends and these guys (on the Farley Mowat) were endangering their liveswith these stunts," said Warren
      "I think the Green Party has tied itself to closely with the extremists in this debate,"
      He said he stands by the right of Newfoundlanders to make a living from all available resources, including seals."

There is a Green Party here in Newfoundland?

Thats news to me LOL
;D

Baker

The federal greens are everywhere. We have a provincila green party that I dont believe is affiliated to the federal one. I think its called the terra nova greens, but i dont think theyve run in more thna few elections, if at all

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
The federal greens are everywhere. We have a provincila green party that I dont believe is affiliated to the federal one. I think its called the terra nova greens, but i dont think theyve run in more thna few elections, if at all
Intresting. Going to have to read up on them later on.

By the way, can you use the spell check, to make your post easier to read?

Baker

Proud_Newfoundlander said:

Um-mm, which one??? Sorry, I couldn't resist....

like this is green
;D
I knew this would be about people who would go to hell if jacklayton was judging but didnt have to subject himself to his own hippie standards,

I thought this was about Ninja Turtles, then I saw politics and got disinterested.

:(

RTaylor said:
I thought this was about Ninja Turtles, then I saw politics and got disinterested.

:(

- I believe the song was sung by Kermit The Frog:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_the_Frog

"Kermit made frequent appearances on Sesame Street, often as a lecturer, a regular character or a news reporter interviewing nursery rhyme characters for Sesame Street News. He memorably sang the song "Bein' Green" from this series."

Lyrics:

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/m/muppets9423/itsnoteasybeinggreen314600.html

The Greens really have to sort out their affiliations and policies.  If they want any legitimacy and votes from the likes of me they have to be realistic in their policies. 
Their "anti-war" approach is another example. 

I have had some interactions with the Green Party, but lately the have gone completely in the wrong direction.
Obviously they are not going to change the seal hunt.
I believe their environmental policy has been ranked behind the other parties except for the conservatives.

And as said above, this "anti-war" stuff is just nonsense, I think every party needs to have defense as a top priority this day in age.

Plus, on top of all of that, the party simply copied their policy from the American Green Party.  Way to go guys!

Steel Horse said:
... Plus, on top of all of that, the party simply copied their policy from the American Green Party.  Way to go guys!

- Well, after all: Communism IS an International...

Back