• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Judge rules men-only military draft unconstitutional in court for SD men's group

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
A federal judge has ruled that a men-only draft is unconstitutional, but he stopped short of ordering the Selective Service System to register women for military service.

The Houston judge sided with a San Diego men’s advocacy group that challenged the government’s practice of having only men sign up for the draft, citing sex discrimination in violation of the Fifth Amendment’s equal protection clause.

“This case balances on the tension between the constitutionally enshrined power of Congress to raise armies and the constitutional mandate that no person be denied the equal protection of the law,” wrote U.S. District Judge Gray Miller of the Southern District of Texas.

The lawsuit was filed in 2013 against the Selective Service System by Texas resident James Lesmeister, who later added San Diego resident Anthony Davis and the San Diego-based National Coalition for Men as additional plaintiffs.

The two men had standing to sue the government because they were within the age range of 18 to 26 in which men in the United States are required to register with Selective Service.

(More on link)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-military-draft-women-lawsuit-20190223-story.html

And if you're interested in reading the decision ....

Attachments

• NCFM-Draft.pdf
    268.8 KB · Views: 72
We haven't drafted anyone since Vietnam and the judge stopped short of ordering that females be drafted,he did say it was unconstitutional. But I guess he didn't want to be responsible for the caskets. The truth is that in combat there are few safe zones.

tomahawk6 said:
We haven't drafted anyone since Vietnam and the judge stopped short of ordering that females be drafted,he did say it was unconstitutional. But I guess he didn't want to be responsible for the caskets. The truth is that in combat there are few safe zones.

Which should make the politicians all think even a little bit harder about who, and why, they launch into battle where and when...

Back