• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Junior Ranks Club traditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezer

Inactive
Reaction score
As a reservist who has been involved with the JRC mess committee a few times I was wondering what other messes do to promote retention and a good mess atmosphere through regimental tradition.

I know some JR messes where you have to come to attention before entering and others who sip their regimental drink through a hole in a german helmet. Others drink out of the boots of the member who has come last on a 13km ruckmarch while other units use their bell to announce they have given a donation to a unit pre-authorized charity.

I was just curious to hear some other bizarre and/or interesting regimental mess traditions.

Most mess traditions I've experienced would now fall under hazing.

Most traditions probably should not be put on the internet because regular civilians
would not understand and consider them barbaric and offensive.

IMO... put this thread to rest.  Get answers through PM's if you must.

I wasn`t looking forhazing rituals. We all know where that could lead but rather traditions like passing the port with the left hand and it is never allowed to touch the table during mess dinners, Last Post prayers, RSM chairs, MCpls only tables, Duty NCO bayonnet etc...

I stand by my last

10 years in the jr ranks...

There are very few traditions (IMO) that would live up to your request.
There are traditions... just very few that can be spoken of for reasons
they would seem (or are) hazing an thus should not be posted.

I hope someone does have one to post for you... don't get me wrong, but
I fear there may be very little out there.

Beezer said:
I wasn`t looking forhazing rituals. We all know where that could lead but rather traditions like passing the port with the left hand and it is never allowed to touch the table during mess dinners, Last Post prayers, RSM chairs, MCpls only tables, Duty NCO bayonnet etc...

You already seem to know many of them, why don't you list all the ones you know and if any are missing, someone can come along and fill in the blanks?

Gravyboat again my attempt at humour fails on the board. I will add a little  :p  next time.

I don't know what more Beezer wants in the way of traditions (that he hasn't already listed) so I was just poking fun at him. Sorry if you misinterpreted my remarks.

Although blind adherance to "what happens in the Mess stays in the Mess" can result in little things becoming big things (ie-charges, shut downs, etc.), this is no place to discuss Mess Traditions.

I don't care what you do in your Mess (within reason), and wish to keep the activities of my Mess private to my Mess members. You want to know what we do? Join my Regiment.

If you like your Mess, stop now.

Caesar said:
Although blind adherance to "what happens in the Mess stays in the Mess" can result in little things becoming big things (ie-charges, shut downs, etc.), this is no place to discuss Mess Traditions.

I don't care what you do in your Mess (within reason), and wish to keep the activities of my Mess private to my Mess members. You want to know what we do? Join my Regiment.

If you like your Mess, stop now.

I agree with this 100%! 

beach_bum said:
I agree with this 100%! 

And so do I. We'll considered the request for a lock seconded ...now thirded... and motion carried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back