• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JUSTAS: the project to buy armed Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Is there an operational logic for controlling them from Ottawa? I would think an actual operational location would make more sense.
As @dimsum pointed out closer to where their information will have an impact. These are not tactical assets, they are strategic ones, and strategic decisions are usually made from Ottawa. I suspect Ottawa has the pre-exisiting infrastructure to support the farm needed to fly them once they are purchased. The location basing will vary.

Infanteer

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Is there an operational logic for controlling them from Ottawa? I would think an actual operational location would make more sense.
The platform is not "theatre specific" in that you could fly it from one theatre to another theatre, supporting various missions. So shipping control stations to a theatre location where it may not even be used doesn't make much sense. Some sort of control station near CJOC and CANSOFCOM's operating centres make sense.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score

And from the 'colour me shocked department', the NDP is against them:

The NDP is the same party who ACTUALLY brought forth a motion to debate whether they should disband the entire armed forces, at their last meeting.

On the grounds that 'the world is safer and no longer needing militaries, many other countries are also disbanding their militaries, and bad guys won't do bad things if we change the wording on one of our foreign policies.'

My goodness... not to get political. But between the Liberals doing their woke, snobby nonsense. The NDP being like your super friendly neighbour who is retired, very nice, tends to her garden, and is always high, the PQ (which as an Alberta guy, doesn't exist) - and the Conservatives having a leader that most Canadians couldn't point out in a group photo... 🤦

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
The NDP is the same party who ACTUALLY brought forth a motion to debate whether they should disband the entire armed forces, at their last meeting.
I thought it was just a motion that some random NDP member asked, and they specifically said they weren't going to discuss?

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Oh, looks like you are right.

I was under the impression that it was being brought forward as a motion for them to debate at their meeting, by one of their MP's. I hadn't heard of the follow-up.

My bad

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
At the same time, preparations are underway so the military is ready to begin using the unmanned aerial vehicles when they start to arrive in the next three to four years. That includes plans to establish a central hub in Ottawa where pilots will fly the drones.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
The US operates UAVs from Vegas. As long as you're in satellite range, physical location is irrelevant from a purely physical perspective.
They operated them from KAF as well, as engaging moving targets via satellite link doesn't work very well because of the two-way signal delay.

Very nice GCS, too. Much, much, much better than what we had,

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
They operated them from KAF as well, as engaging moving targets via satellite link doesn't work very well because of the two-way signal delay.

Very nice GCS, too. Much, much, much better than what we had,
By the time I was there, they definitely did not do that anymore. Missions were run out of Vegas, landings and takeoffs out of KAF.

From what I've read, the latest generations of RPAS don't even need the local landing/takeoff crews - everything now run from one place in the world.