• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit issued before pre-deployment

BDTyre

Reaction score
Okay I did a search but was fruitless, so please feel free to mock me if this has been covered.

I'm apparently headed for CFB Edmonton at the end of the month for pre-deployment.  I was under the impression (and probably picked this up from some off-hand comment someone made) that as a reservist I would be issued a barracks box (or two?) only if I were deploying and then I would get it shortly before heading fro pre-deployment.  CoC is certain that the barracks boxes are issued in Edmonton.

Though I will definitely confirm this with my QM in the morning, if barracks boxes are issued in Edmonton do I just use a suitcase or two as I head to pre-deployment and then bring the suitcase home packed with stuff I won't need on deployment when I go on block leave?

Thanks and/or apologies in advance.

I am sure that you can travel to Edmonton with your Rucksack, two or three duffle bags and a carryon bag and not have any problems.  I have no idea why you would need a suitcase.  You will be issued more kit in Edmonton, and probably will get your barrack boxes there.  You will definitely be painting them there.

You will be issued 2 MOBs when you kit out in Edmonton. If you do not have any old-style barrack boxes, you should be able to get one in Edmonton as well.

How you bring the rest of your stuff is up to you.

George - that assumes I have 2 or 3 duffle bags. :)  Time to get another one I guess.  The suitcase comment was based on past experiences of going on course and being warned by the unit not to have more than two pieces of checked baggage.  The maximum allowable size of suitcase holds about two duffle bags worth.

Thanks.

Sounds like you plan on taking way more kit than necessary.  You will find out that you will be limited in number of pieces and weight that you will be able to take with you on Tour.  Might as well start out with as little as possible; just the required necessities.  You be issued a lot more when you get to the TF.

Your joining instruction should tell you what you need to bring, and you will have opportunities to go home to get other kit. As NFLD Sapper stated, you also have the CMTT option.

Not sure if you have clarified this matter or not, but if you still haven't gotten any kit PRIOR to departing on pre-dep training, get a copy of your CFTPO message (you should have one in your DAG file) and give it to your nearest Clothing Stores (Esquimalt?) along with your DAG sheet. You have to be kitted out according to your D11-115 scale (as much as they can give you there) INCLUDING 3 barrack boxes. As far as the CMTT comment is concerned, ensure you have authorization to use CMTT (I highly doubt it for pre-dep trg) or your OR can tell you if you have authorization for excess bagage.

Thanks everyone.  Binrat - I believe my closest clothing stores is Chilliwack (I'm thinking my QM doesn't count).  Is the CFTPO the sheet that tells me what role I can be in?

Pretty much, yes. It will have on top "Ops Planning Authority" or something to that effect. There will be several rows of info, including the position you are filling into MITE (not necessarily your exact position) and you may see "High rank - MCpl" and "Low Rank - Cpl" (or something to that effect). And Chilliwack does have BB's...

Great...I've got that.  I'll give the QM a call when I get a chance.  Thanks again everyone.

NFLD Sapper said:
One word CMTT for your extra kit.

Id avoid it if you can. I'm a little skeptical about CMTT or anything military where I don't have physical control over my kit. My rucksack which was turned in to KAF CMTT 5 months ago is still MIA.

We had a guy come back in fall of 07 who was separated from his kit before leaving for Cyprus and was never re-united with about 75% of it.  He ended up having to come in for parade nights with a custom chest righ because his tac vest was somewhere else.

CanadianTire said:
We had a guy come back in fall of 07 who was separated from his kit before leaving for Cyprus and was never re-united with about 75% of it.  He ended up having to come in for parade nights with a custom chest righ because his tac vest was somewhere else.

crappy, big time. The biggest thing that irritates me about this, is I had my gortex rain jacket in my ruck, and I highly doubt I will get issued another one. I loved that jacket, their gucci.

Just a point on the barrack boxes, they may not issue you 3 old barrack boxes because with operational stores you will be getting 2 of the new barrack boxes, and you are only aloud one old barrack box when issued the new ones. With us they issued us 1 old barrack box and then later on when we were being issued our tans they issued us the 2 new ones. As well, you do not want to overpack kit (ie full whites, etc) but you do not want to skimp out either. You will be spending a lot of time in the field so you will want to make sure you have everything (we did an 8 week stint on my pre-deployment) and as well we did several parades so we were also expected to have our DEU's. Good luck.

I have been told by a couple of people who recently returned from 1-08 that they did a number of parades (including change of command) and required their DEUs.  That said, this pre-deployment is compressed (6 v. 12 months) and from what I understand, we're supposed to be in the field by mid-March.  However I can either bring my DEUs and ship them home or not bring them and have them shipped to me.

HR HQ 5-09 had DEUs on the joining instructions for all Augmentees as well.

Regardless of your pre-deployment training length, consider that you will be working in the Regular Force in Canada for 6 months.  DEUs are a dress of the day at times - bring 'em.

Back