• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LCBO's predictions for 2011

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
.... LCBO predicts:

* Customers will see a lot more of two great red wine varieties - Ripasso from Italy and Pinot Noir, affectionately known as the heartbreak grape because of how tricky it is to grow. While Ripasso is fuller bodied than Pinot Noir, both are food-friendly and quite versatile. Annual sales of Ripasso are $8.8 million, up five per cent from the previous year.

* Deluxe aged and spiced rums are expected to be popular, as spirit drinkers look for products with richer flavours and uncompromising quality. Spiced rum is growing at 26 per cent.

* Blended wines are the mainstay in regions like Bordeaux, France where most wines are blends of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and sometimes Cabernet Franc. Winemakers the world over, including Ontario, are embracing this tradition to create some of today's most well-rounded, complex yet versatile wines.

* Wheat beer and Pinot Grigio are expected to be popular choices for spring and summer with their crisp, light flavours and versatility. Wheat beer is a growing segment at LCBO, with sales up 12 per cent.

* Vodka may be colourless but it's not flavourless. Made from rye, potato and wheat, each style has its own unique character and taste and customers will begin to explore the differences. Vodka sales are growing at seven per cent.

* Ontario wine and craft beer will continue to win fans. Whether pairing local craft beers, like Beau's All Natural Lug Tread Lagered Ale, or Ontario VQA wines like Jackson Triggs Proprietors' Reserve Semi-Dry Riesling, with local seasonal cuisine, it's a winning "Go Local" combination. Ontario Craft Beer is the fastest growing beer segment and is showing a 50 per cent growth year after year ....
More here.

* Deluxe aged and spiced rums are expected to be popular, as spirit drinkers look for products with richer flavours and uncompromising quality. Spiced rum is growing at 26 per cent.

I've been sipping my way through a bottle of 15-year-old El Dorado Demerara rum, highly recommended.

For straight rum, I like Havana Club. Rich smell of cane fields, a body that coats the tongue and a pleasant sweet aftertaste.

The flame arrestor in the top of the bottle is also a nice touch ;D

I am a big fan of dark red vino. I will have to indulge a wee bit in this years batch.  ;D

My predictions:

* Residents of Ottawa will continue to cross the bridge to Gatineau to escape the LCBO/Beer store price gouging, and enjoy buying cases of 24 for under $25

* University students will continue to drink cheap swill, thus supporting Old Milwaukee

* Wine snobs will again be fooled in a blind taste test and be unable to differentiate between a $100 bottle of French wine and a $8 Chilean wine "cellared in Canada"

* Canadian Brewers will continue to fight having to label the contents of their beers, afraid that consumers won't want to drink beverages that "may contain Phil's Toupee, as it fell off while he was swimming in the tank"

dapaterson said:
My predictions:

* Residents of Ottawa will continue to cross the bridge to Gatineau to escape the LCBO/Beer store price gouging, and enjoy buying cases of 24 for under $25

* University students will continue to drink cheap swill, thus supporting Old Milwaukee

* Wine snobs will again be fooled in a blind taste test and be unable to differentiate between a $100 bottle of French wine and a $8 Chilean wine "cellared in Canada"

* Canadian Brewers will continue to fight having to label the contents of their beers, afraid that consumers won't want to drink beverages that "may contain Phil's Toupee, as it fell off while he was swimming in the tank"

:rofl:

Michael O'Leary said:
I've been sipping my way through a bottle of 15-year-old El Dorado Demerara rum, highly recommended.

Solid choice. In my top 5 easily. I have a love affair with Stroh 52. A shot of that with a splash of cola is like the nectar of gods.

Back