• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Officer Recruiting [Merged]

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
3,920
Points
1,040
Chad.wiseman said:
Thanks.  Is there another entry method for those accepted into law school?

No. Qualified and serving members of the Regular Force may apply for the Military Legal Training Plan, when available, while all others must apply for Direct Entry which has a prerequisite of having completed law school and articles, being called to the bar and being a member in good standing of one of the provincial law societies.

https://forces.ca/en/career/legal-officer/

:cheers:
 

Chad.wiseman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
I noticed that a ct for the mltp is not open currently.  Does that happen sometimes (ie allow a reserve applicant ct once they get accepted into law so they can take advantage of mltp)?
 

winds_13

Member
Reaction score
79
Points
450
Chad.wiseman said:
I noticed that a ct for the mltp is not open currently.  Does that happen sometimes (ie allow a reserve applicant ct once they get accepted into law so they can take advantage of mltp)?

No, and there are no exceptions. You must be in the Regular Force in order to apply for MLTP and it is an extremely competitive in-service selection program.

You can, however, join the reserves in a different trade and apply for a CT/OT after you graduate, complete articling, and have been called to the bar. It would provide you with a part-time job and summer employment as well as $2000/ year (up to a max of $8000) tuition reimbursement.
 

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
3,920
Points
1,040
Chad.wiseman said:
One last question.  Does one have to be bilingual to be considered?

No. However, selection is competitive and being proficient in both official languages will provide you with a higher score. Having served in the military as either a reservist or regular is also an asset and therefore even if you are not now qualified to apply, but intend to apply once you have been called to the bar then it would be a good idea to join the reserves in some other branch while attending law school.

:cheers:
 

WannaServe123

Guest
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
winds_13 said:
Chad.wiseman, by age restricted he assumedly means that he would not be able to complete an initial service contract, called a Variable Initial Engagement, before reaching mandatory retirement at age 60.

For your second question, the minimum Entry Standard to apply as a Direct Entry (DEO) Legal Officer is to have already passed the bar in province. To be competitive, you will likely likely need several years of experience practicing law in a relative field (ie. Criminal Law, Administrative Law,  International Law, Labour and Employment Law, and/or Human Rights Law.
Winds 13: Exactly.  Legal officers commit to a minimum of 7 years:  I am turning 53 this summer, so I need to be enrolled before then to be able to be a legal officer.  Thanks-Good luck all. Wannaserve.
 

csers

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Just got the email - Legal Officer is closed until fiscal 2021/22 :(  They asked if I was interested in other officer trades but I don't know that I am....
 

woodrunner

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
That's unfortunate... I guess they won't process any application until the end of 2020/beginning of 2021?
 

da1root

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
21
Points
380
csers said:
Just got the email - Legal Officer is closed until fiscal 2021/22 :(  They asked if I was interested in other officer trades but I don't know that I am....
woodrunner said:
That's unfortunate... I guess they won't process any application until the end of 2020/beginning of 2021?

If you got an email stating that the occupation is closed until 21/22 it is likely a typo.  The numbers are only released 1 year at a time (i.e the number for 19/20 are being working on); the next FY is 20/21 and the numbers are not released until December 2019 at the earliest (sometimes not until January).  If the occupation is closed for this year than processing will commence in December 2019/January 2020 for the 20/21 Fiscal Year.
 

csers

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
When discussing different MOCs, they mentioned my PCL scores - what is that? It's a new term on me  ???
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
586
Points
1,260
csers said:
When discussing different MOCs, they mentioned my PCL scores - what is that? It's a new term on me  ???

Not a complete answer. But, this from a CAF Recruiter,

Buck_HRA said:
I would not state they take in as many as possible; the CAF has been recruiting for a number of years and based on this they know the PCL/MP scores of those selected in previous years and will strive to select individuals at the same scores or higher in future years. 
 

csers

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
I saw that, but I'm still not sure what it is or what it's comprised of... is it the overall score on your file??
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
586
Points
1,260
csers said:
I saw that, but I'm still not sure what it is or what it's comprised of... is it the overall score on your file??

As I said, not much about it on this site.

You may, or may not, wish to try Googling "PCL score" while waiting for a more definitive answer from a CAF Recruiter.
 

winds_13

Member
Reaction score
79
Points
450
csers said:
When discussing different MOCs, they mentioned my PCL scores - what is that? It's a new term on me  ???

csers,

The PCL, or Priority Control Line, is a cut-off marker comprised of the combined score from the aptitude (CFAT) and personality (TSD) testing. For many competitive trades, such as most DEO Officer positions, it is used to determine if an applicant is competitive enough for selection, and thus processing.

When you were talking to the recruiting centre staff, they may have mentioned the term as it is used to determine, along with the Entry Standards, what other officer trades you may be competitive for.

However, as you are likely aware, Legal Officer selection is a bit different than that for most other occupations. Instead of your PCL, each applicant's complete CV and legal experience are compared, with the most desirable applicants being invited to interview with the Office of the JAG in Ottawa. It is very competitive.
 

jimm

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Hello,

I'm going into my 4th and final year of my undergrad and have plans to apply to law schools for next September. I'm considering applying as a legal officer after graduating, passing the bar and getting a couple years of practical experience. Applications for law school aren't due until November, and I likely won't receive any offers until March at the earliest.

My questions are: could I apply for the reserves right now, while my future is in limbo? If I were to enter the reserves for next fiscal year, would transfering to regular force legal officer after my studies be possible? I'm planning on applying to 5 or 6 schools across the country, so I probably won't know where I'll be living next September until the spring. If it makes any difference, I'm planning on applying as a logistics officer in the reserves.

Thanks!
 

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
3,920
Points
1,040
jimm said:
Hello,

I'm going into my 4th and final year of my undergrad and have plans to apply to law schools for next September. I'm considering applying as a legal officer after graduating, passing the bar and getting a couple years of practical experience. Applications for law school aren't due until November, and I likely won't receive any offers until March at the earliest.

My questions are: could I apply for the reserves right now, while my future is in limbo? If I were to enter the reserves for next fiscal year, would transfering to regular force legal officer after my studies be possible? I'm planning on applying to 5 or 6 schools across the country, so I probably won't know where I'll be living next September until the spring. If it makes any difference, I'm planning on applying as a logistics officer in the reserves.

Thanks!

You may certainly enter the reserves but not as a legal officer until such time as you are called to the bar and a member in good standing of one of the provincial law societies. Reserve training will stand you in good stead for any future application to the legal branch as either a regular force or reserve legal officer.

Once you are qualified, you may apply to become a legal officer but the positions are competitive. Reserve Force Legal officers are regionally based (approximately 60 positions) and there must be a vacancy in your particular region in order to be considered. Regular Force legal positions are recruited on a national basis and are very competitive. Prior military service (Reg or Res) and fluency in both official languages are a definite assets as is some practical experience in law after being called to the bar.

:cheers:
 

jimm

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
FJAG,

Thanks for the quick reply. My question regarding the reserves wasn't about entering them as a reservist legal officer. Rather, I was wondering whether I could apply as a reservist for any other trade, without knowing where I'll be living in a year. So assuming I wanted to apply as a reservist logististics officer right now, would that be possible in my situation?
 

winds_13

Member
Reaction score
79
Points
450
jimm said:
FJAG,

Thanks for the quick reply. My question regarding the reserves wasn't about entering them as a reservist legal officer. Rather, I was wondering whether I could apply as a reservist for any other trade, without knowing where I'll be living in a year. So assuming I wanted to apply as a reservist logististics officer right now, would that be possible in my situation?

jimm,

When you apply for the Primary Reserves (PRes), you apply to a specific unit, which is geographically based. I'd recommend you look at what schools you could potentially end up attending next year and what reserve units are located nearby. If you go to a school in a major city, like Toronto, there will be many reserve units to choose from... not the case if you go to Windsor, Queens, TRU, UofS, etc. Go speak with your local reserve recruiters, they will be able to give you information about how it all works.

 
Top