• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals furious over Harper's Taliban remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

darmil

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070321/harper_attack_070321/20070321?hub=TopStories

Updated Wed. Mar. 21 2007 5:48 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Prime Minister Stephen Harper played hardball partisan politics again, saying Liberal MPs care more about Taliban prisoners than Canadian soldiers.

"I can understand the passion that the leader of the Opposition and members of his party feel for Taliban prisoners," Harper said Wednesday during Parliament's question period.

"I just wish occasionally they would show the same passion for Canadian soldiers."

As his MPs jeered the prime minister's remarks, Liberal Leader Stephane Dion called the statement shocking and asked for an apology.

He didn't get one.

"I would like to see more support in the House of Commons from all sides for Canadian men and women in uniform," Harper said.

"I think Canadians expect that from parliamentarians in every party. They have not been getting it, and they deserve it."

The Liberals had been pressing for the resignation of Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor, who had made an erroneous statement to the House of Commons about Afghan detainees.

Under Liberal attacks on Wednesday, O'Connor repeated the apology he first uttered on Monday before Harper came to his rescue.

Outside the House, Dion said Harper had trivialized the Afghan detainee issue and had acted in an un-prime ministerial way.

"That was absolutely uncalled for," NDP MP Bill Siksay told CTV Newsnet's Mike Duffy Live about Harper's remarks.

But a Tory MP says appreciation for the prime minister's comments was apparent in the faces of some members of the military.

"There were a bunch of uniformed Canadian Forces personnel in the gallery and they were smiling and giving (Harper) the thumbs-up, because I think they were glad to hear someone finally say what they were thinking," Conservative MP Jason Kenney said.

There are never any questions, especially from the NDP, about the safety of Canadian troops, he said.

Harper's earlier remarks

Last month, Harper suggested that the Liberals voted against the extension of two clauses in the Anti-Terror Act to keep a Grit MP's father-in-law from being compelled to testify in the ongoing investigation into the Air India inquiry.

Navdeep Bains, the MP in question, asked Harper for an apology. Harper didn't offer one.

The prime minister also tried to link two other Liberals to patronage appointments to the Immigration and Refugee Board.

Such accusations prompted Ralph Goodale, the Liberal house leader, to describe Harper as a "bully" who would use "character assassination ... slur, innuendo, falsehood and personal abuse" for partisan gain.

With files from The Canadian Press

Hahaha.... awww did someone get called out??  :crybaby:

Harper with a zinger!

I was expecting Dion to cry "It's Not Fair"!!! :crybaby:

I am sick and tired of politicians trying to score points with the public on the backs of soldiers by claiming to be a bigger supporter of the CF than the others when they would (and did) just as quickly say the very opposite if they were on the other side of the House... it applies to both Liberals and Conservatives.  (It doesn't apply to the NDP because they never seem to ever get out of the back benches.)

MikeH said:
Such accusations prompted Ralph Goodale, the Liberal house leader, to describe Harper as a "bully" who would use "character assassination ... slur, innuendo, falsehood and personal abuse" for partisan gain.
Aww, seems like the poor Liberals are quick to point the finger when they lose. Poor them. Someone give them a hug and a cookie.

Rice0031 said:
Someone give them a hug and a cookie.
They don't deserve it  ;)

GAP said:
I wish  ;D

Good for Mr.Harper, makes me glad I got my parents to vote for the Conservatives  ;D

Michael Baker said:
Good for Mr.Harper, makes me glad I got my parents to vote for the Conservatives  ;D

I tried to get my parents to vote conservative, but they're liberals to the core...I think I was adopted... :'(

GAP said:
{sppeeewww--wipe-wipe the screen}
That's priceless.
Gawd, I'm glad I'm not a politician, I only work for one. 
Mr. Dion, don't make Stephen have to come over there and [removed attempt to get around filters] you. 
:army:

This pretty well says it all:

..."It's a disgrace.  The answer of the prime minister today is a disgrace.  To ask us to make a choice between the Taliban detainees and our troops -- I think it's infamous," fumed Liberal MP and defence critic Denis Coderre.....

Larry Strong said:

..."It's a disgrace.  The answer of the prime minister today is a disgrace.  To ask us to make a choice between the Taliban detainees and our troops -- I think it's infamous," fumed Liberal MP and defence critic Denis Coderre.....

I hope that makes it's way onto a CPC election commercial when the time comes.

Matthew.  :salute:

Larry Strong said:

Funny how he worded that, isn't it?

"I can understand the passion that the leader of the Opposition and members of his party feel for Taliban prisoners," Harper said Wednesday during Parliament's question period.

"I just wish occasionally they would show the same passion for Canadian soldiers."

That sounded like something that I would have expected Ralph Klein to say. 8)

Rice0031 said:

Cookie???  :eek:
I WANT A COOKIE TOO!!!! 

If you're against me, you're with the enemy. If you're with the enemy, you support the Taliban' ...

Well, Mr. Duceppe certainly has a very tight grasp on the obvious today.

"..."It's a disgrace.  The answer of the prime minister today is a disgrace.  To ask us to make a choice between the Taliban detainees and our troops -- I think it's infamous," fumed Liberal MP and defence critic Denis Coderre...."

This says it all.  And proves why the Liberal Party has very little respect for the Military.

I guess this all falls into "The Truth Hurts" pile, or better yet, to quote a dear departed buddy, "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have been born one".

MM

Harpers first question period zinger, and its a great one. I wonder who wrote it for him,... >:D

Well, Mr.Liberal, if you're going to open your mouth to put a foot in, The PM will certainly help push it in further. It all comes down to wording! 
And you could almost hear, "it's not fair", when Mr. Dion spoke.
I guess Mr. Harper learned a few things from Rick Mercer when Rick slept over at 24 Sussex.  Or Brett Butt when he showed up on Corner Gas. 
Mr. Harper, you have a great sense of {Canadian} humour.
;D
:cdn:

"Demand an apology."  For shit sakes Liberals, no wonder nobody respects you.  Grow some fucking spines.

BYT Driver said:
Well, Mr.Liberal, if you're going to open your mouth to put a foot in, The PM will certainly help push it in further. It all comes down to wording! 
And you could almost hear, "it's not fair", when Mr. Dion spoke.
I guess Mr. Harper learned a few things from Rick Mercer when Rick slept over at 24 Sussex.  Or Brett Butt when he showed up on Corner Gas.   Mr. Harper, you have a great sense of {Canadian} humour.
;D

I saw that episode, instant classic  :) I especially liked the addage on oppressed goffers and "how little the previous liberal government had done for them."  ;D

As for Mr. Coderre, has he said anything that was useful to the military since he became Defence critic?  

Thank you Prime Minister for calling spades spades !!!

Liberals, the truth hurts doesn't it?

MikeH said:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070321/harper_attack_070321/20070321?hub=TopStories

Updated Wed. Mar. 21 2007 5:48 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Prime Minister Stephen Harper played hardball partisan politics again, saying Liberal MPs care more about Taliban prisoners than Canadian soldiers.

"

OOOOhhh say can you see?
By the dawn's early light....

Mimicking the Republican party is the quickest way to find yourself out office there Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back