• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Linemen Services Required, Ottawa West

coolintheshade

Inactive
Reaction score
Good evening friends,

I'm one of the many heading to Ottawa this APS. I'm looking for a Linemen or people with the skillset, that can help re-route the ISP provided line to the house, to other areas that will need to be hard wired i.e. 2nd floor and basement.

We prefer to be 'hard wired' vice wifi....especially with the WFH, gaming and streaming devices. So please if you know a person who will be happy to earn something on the side, or a local Ottawa civvie hobbyist techie, please put me in touch.

Thank you

Have you considered wireline networking?
Please elaborate and see my post again. The provider will only terminate the modem in one location, but I need to be hard wired in 2 other places in the house e.g. office on 2nd flr, and in the basement of the house, or the main flr if the modem ends up in the basement.

Yes I know wifi is an option...but it's not my preferred choice.

Wireline networking uses your home powerlines to transmit data, not CAT5 or CAT6. Depending on the wiring in your house, it may provide the speeds you want in the locations you want, without having to string new cabling.

Wireline networking uses your home powerlines to transmit data, not CAT5 or CAT6. Depending on the wiring in your house, it may provide the speeds you want in the locations you want, without having to string new cabling.
Not what I am after I'm afraid. I'm in a sub division townhouse. I want to avoid running unsightly cat 5/6 cable along the stairs.

That's the point. Router to adapter, plugged into a power outlet. Adapter in another room, plugged into the device. No cables through the house. Data transmitted over the powerlines.

For example,

My limited understanding for that data over powerlines is it works best on the same circuit.

If you have a good triband (802.11B, G, N) router, you'll have no issues doing all those things wirelessly. At worst you'd maybe want a repeater if your router is in the basement and you are having signal loss on the 2nd floor. Don't use the crappy Bell/Cogeco/Telus routers they give you with the service.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

If you have a good triband (802.11B, G, N) router, you'll have no issues doing all those things wirelessly. At worst you'd maybe want a repeater if your router is in the basement and you are having signal loss on the 2nd floor. Don't use the crappy Bell/Cogeco/Telus routers they give you with the service.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF
Thanks for the responses thus far! I've considered all aforementioned options, but it's not going to work for my family. I'll wait and hopefully one of our Signal brethren come along and know someone currently in Ottawa that can help out.

Cheers

There's a veterans marketplace Facebook group, might have some luck posting there as well.

If you are willing to open parts of walls, running CAT6 through your walls isn’t super hard. You buy a roll of CAT6 wires, a drill with a spade bit, and a crimping tool and you’re set. I did it in my current house and it took me about 2 days (including patching/painting). I am by no means what I would consider a handy person…

If you are willing to open parts of walls, running CAT6 through your walls isn’t super hard. You buy a roll of CAT6 wires, a drill with a spade bit, and a crimping tool and you’re set. I did it in my current house and it took me about 2 days (including patching/painting). I am by no means what I would consider a handy person…
👍🏼

Don’t scrimp on tools, you can get Klein RJ-11/12/45 stripper/crimpers and testers at Home Depot.

If your basement ceiling isn’t finished, you’re winning already, since the first floor wiring should be relatively easy drilling up through the floor/wall base plate. Also not a bad idea getting a 50’ (at least) metal fish tape, it’ll make pulling cable much easier.

For the second floor, cold air returns can be your friend when it comes to getting an outlet box into your upstairs rooms. Every room should have one, and you can take of the grate and drill sideways through the wall studs to feed an offset outlet box in the next inter-stud section of the wall beside the return grate.

Like Max said, it’s not that hard to do, just make sure you have the right tools.

Regards
G2G

Back