• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living off base during QL3 Course...

MasterInstructor

Inactive
Reaction score
At my cost (no PLD etc) will I be able to live off base during my QL3 Course?

It turns out, my spouse will be in Victoria doing an internship for about a year while I might be doing my QL3 course in CFB Esquimalt. I am aware that timing might not work out since I am not even offered a position yet and there is PAT Platoon etc. I am asking just in case if timing magically worked out...

If I can not live off base, will I be allowed to spend weekends off base? Saturday night?

If it makes any difference I applied for NES Op, NCI Op and Nav Comm

cheers

...  Here in Halifax, if you are on a naval ql3, you can live wherever you damn please.....and if it's off base, you'll get your PLD.  No need to worry.  Get yourself an apartment somewhere.
Cheers

Now this information may be a little dated, but...

The whole idea behind QL3 students being required to live in the shacks was to keep them focused on their courses.  That said, you're all big boys and girls, and nobody is going to be checking your bed in the shacks at 2300 every night to see if you're in it.  They will, however, be checking to see if you're in the classroom at the start of classes during the week.  If you're not, and the fact that you're shacking up ashore plays any part in your tardiness, expect to pay the price.

Way back when I did my TQ3 out west, we had married guys on course for 7 months who never slept in their Nelles Block room once.  Their wives had apartments, or even homes in the Victoria area, paid out of pocket.

Again, this information is a quarter century old, but I think it still applies.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm/deny if this is indeed still the practice.

CallOfDuty said:
...  Here in Halifax, if you are on a naval ql3, you can live wherever you damn please.....and if it's off base, you'll get your PLD.  No need to worry.  Get yourself an apartment somewhere.

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) the left coast has always marched to their own drummer.  This advice may not fly at Naden.

;D

I was under the impression that I had to live on base.. Perfect!

I guess the extra cost will be fact that I will have to move my belongings at my own cost...

It is great that PLD is granted as well!

Thanks!

MasterInstructor said:
;D

I was under the impression that I had to live on base.. Perfect!

I guess the extra cost will be fact that I will have to move my belongings at my own cost...

It is great that PLD is granted as well!

Thanks!

Hold on there...  I suggest you do a search for (and better yet, discuss with a RMS Clerk) the subject of PLD.  There are a lot of rules attached to it.

By the book, you may be required to live in quarters.  As I said, real life may not reflect that, until such a time as you run afoul of the rules, when real life rears up and bites you in the ass.  Be sure you're getting correct information before committing to anything.

Occam said:
Hold on there...  I suggest you do a search for (and better yet, discuss with a RMS Clerk) the subject of PLD.  There are a lot of rules attached to it.

By the book, you may be required to live in quarters.  As I said, real life may not reflect that, until such a time as you run afoul of the rules, when real life rears up and bites you in the ***.  Be sure you're getting correct information before committing to anything.

Absolutely! Thanks for the advise. I am not going to commit to anything because one person said something on the internet :) No offense.... I will make sure before I do anything!

In my situation, PLD would be just a bonus... I will have rental income from my property in Vancouver as well... And my spouse is moving to Victoria regardless if we can live together or not...

As long as you consider it that way, you'll be fine.  I have no doubts that you'll be able to sleep in shared accommodations with your spouse.  The question is whether you'll have the CF's blessings doing so, until such time as you're completed trades training and moved to your first operational posting as a couple. 

Excellent advice Occam...and I only speak of my experience which was roughly 3 years ago in Halifax.  If a person on their ql3 had a wife/family they 100% were allowed to live off base.
  Now I recall, that the younger single guys were made to stay in the shacks , however, if they found a girlfriend or whatever, they could send a memo to the CO and with his blessings they were allowed to live off base with PLD.  Just the thought of living in A-block makes me shudder....uuuuuuuugghhhh.
  Cheers!

Back