• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for a little help...History of Toronto CFRC

MAJONES

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi:
My CO tasked me to prepare our unit history, (I'm at CFRC Toronto).  I got all of our old Annual Historic Reports from present day back to unification.  I asked DHH and National Archives if they had any photo's . The answer was no.  There was also no information on our unit from before unification.
So, if anyone has any of the following..
-photos of CFRC Toronto or it's predecessor units (back in the RCAF, RCN and Army days)
-photos of former COs or Unit Warrent Officers
-any info at all about recruiting in Toronto pre 1966

...could you please share it with me.  I'd be much obliged. :cdnsalute:

I recall visiting the CFRC in the early 1970's when it was located at the SE corner of St Clair and Eglinton Avenues, prior to the relocation to 4900 Yonge St.  Prior to Unification, the Army had operated a "Manning Depot" located (appropriately enough...) on Manning Avenue in the old City of Toronto. Although I never saw it,  I was told that it processed recruits. I believe that the RCAF operated a selection centre at RCAF Downsview, but I'm not too sure of the details. You might also try contacting Legions or Associations in the city to find folks who remember these places.

Cheers

PBI,

Reference the army "manning depot," it was 6 Personnel Depot, or 6PD. When I enlisted in December 1957, I reported to it on Monday and was sworn in on Thursday after doing all the tests, interviews and medical, filling out of the personal history form, being issued a temporary ID card and my service, medical and pay books and memorizing my service number. The depot then gave me a pass to cover the period while I was tidying things up at home, two weeks pay and a claim, train ticket and meal chits for my trip to beautiful Camp Shilo.

Anyway, PDs (there was one per area - which was a level of command below the geographical commands) also handled releases and processed my testing and interviews when I applied for officer training.

When I joined in Dec 56, CFRC was located somewhere down by Union Station (not sure exactly where). Like Old Sweat, reported in on Mon, and was bussed out to 6PD which at the time was behind Sunnybrook Hospital. Again like Old Sweat, I was sworn in on Thu, given some time off(1 week) and sent by train to Camp Petawawa. (For all you young fellas, that's how it was done in the "Good Old Days")  ;D

I don't have any pictures of 6PD(wasn't rich enough to own a camera), but as I recall it, the depot was a collection of H huts situated around a small park, with lots of trees. Of course, they were all painted the sickly shade of war time green that was prevalent back then.

Sorry that I don't have more, but that's the best I can do for you.

All the best, Drummy

PS: I just love throwing in that enlistment timeline for all the young people waiting months and sometime years to join.  ;D 

Drummy,

I think you are right about the location for 6PD. It was not downtown. I also agree that it was largely wartime construction featuring the dread H Huts in all their glory. My lasting memory of it was the blood test during the medical. This was before disposable syringes came into use and the medic must have thought he was bayonet fighting the way he jabbed with the dull needle.

As we both remember, the processing went quite quickly. There were a large number of applicants and it seems to me that the majority were rejected. At least our numbers shrunk dramatically as the week wore on. I was given my choice of RCAC, RCA or QOR, with the suggestion that the artillery would make me a surveyor. So I opted for the guns, and sure enough, I started my life in a field unit surveying, that is surveying the world between the trails of a 105mm howitzer.

Back