• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for info on my Grandfathers regiment

pikeslayer

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day.  I am looking for info on my Grandfathers regiment in WWII. 
He doesn't say much about his experiences over there so it difficult to find information.  He says he was part of the 8Th L-A-A Canadian Regiment, 70Th L-A-A Battery.  His Commander was Lt. Col. E.W. Cormack.

He has at one time said that he went over on D+1. I have read Juno Beach and Holding Juno Beach ( great books! )  But it doesn't say anything about his Regiment.

Does any know of any Information or books that I can read to learn more about their actions and travels in Europe?  I have done many searches and have found little.

Please if any one and steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

My Grandfather is still living, and I understand about applying for his service records, but if any one else any info to share, thanks.

Pike

The 8th LAA Regiment was part of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division, which moved to France in July 1944. It indeed was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Eric W Cormack and included in its ranks a certain Gunner "Turk" Broda, who later played goal for the Maple Leafs back in the days when the team won the odd Stanley Cup, or at least made the playoffs most years.

Try your library for a copy of Volume II of The Gunners of Canada, which covers the period from 1919 to 1967. And thank your grandfather for his service from me.

Back