• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for Information on Boer War 4th CMR Regiment

A

AylesfordLake

Hello all - (This is my very first post on this board.)

I'm a Candian civilian who is doing some research into Canada's role in the Boer War - more specifically I am interested in learning about the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles Regiment. I recently discovered that my Great Grandfather (Oriel Miller) was a member of this particular regiment and have inherited all of his affects from this period (including discharge papers/ colonial hat pins/ photo's in uniform with chums/ on horseback Kings Coronation parade in Sysdney NS, of early Aldershot military camp, / I suspect live ammunition (bullets) for Lee Enfield rifle?/ South African coins/ troop scarves? /and most incredibly his leather saddle bed roll (still in remarkably good condition).

My research to date has revealed that the 4th Regiment was part of Canada's last contigent to this war and arrived in South Africa along with the 3rd/5th/6th regiments on various liners just as the war ended. Because these regiments saw no action (spending only weeks or days in South Africa) there is very little information about these regiments even collectively.

If anyone can shed some light on these forgotten regiments (the 4th in particular) it would be much appreciated. Most of my reading to date (Internet/Books) has revealed only the most dryest of information - regimental structures, transport accounts, that sort of thing. I welcome all help and suggestions...but am most curious to learn more about their time in South Africa. It would appear that it was mostly spent parade drilling for the King's upcoming Coronation and boozing in the local tavens, some endng up in the slammer as a result...whereupon they were soon set free by their mates who raided the local lock-up (All of this according to a 1902 PEI newspaper article). This is the kind of rare record I'm missing, so if you know of an expert or source that can help - suggest away...

Thanking any and all in advance for your contributions.  :cdn:

I just added a brief bit on the war in South Africa to my own web page at www.canadiansoldiers.com (look under HISTORY/YEARS IN REVIEW and then 1900).  Like you, I am struggling to find information and relevant content.

If you don't have plans of your own for publishing the photos, etc., I'd be very interested in adding them to my site for public consumption.  There seems to be very little "out there" in the public eye re: South Africa.

You may want to try a book called PAINTING THE MAP RED; ISBN etc. are on my site under suggested reading, but I haven't yet looked at a copy.

Here is a site that may have some info for you:

http://www.goldiproductions.com/BoerWar_Museum/wel_boer.html

Thanks Michael for your link and suggestions - I too have that book you cited on my list to read. Here are some others books of note in case you are looking to pad your website references:

1. "Canada's Little War" also By Carman Miller (Author of Painting the Map Red).

2. "Our Little Army in the Field" By Brian Reid is a detailed Canadian perspective

Occasionally Ebay spits-up a few out of print books with Canadian tags that probably warrant a closer look.

On another note, I would be happy to contribute what I can to your site. My scanner unfortunately is down at the moment, but as soon as I am functional again I promise I will scan and email you the pics I have. I also have some digital pics of the items I mentioned. Do with them what you like.

All of this effort is for a personal booklet I hope to assemble on my great grandfather's one colonial adventure. However, given the scant amount of information on these untested regiments, my research could end up being the most exhaustive study into what admittedly has remained a mere footnote in Canadian military history. After all - who is interested in a regiment from 100 years ago that never saw action and was in South Africa only long enough to stretch their legs before being sent back home. :-\

Anyway Michael - I appreciate the interest, and will return the favour soon.

Also George: Thanks for the tip - Actually I have been to that site before and it is fantastic! I think it's an award winning site - you could spend hours in there - pictures galore. I have got to get my hands on their video series...its looks incredible (bits of it are featured throughout the site). It was funded as a "millennium project" by the Canadian Government and was money very well spent in my opinion - there is an absolutely fascinating account by John Goldi (the director) of the often dangerous effort to film the documentary here (two parts):

Part 1 http://www.csc.ca/news/default.asp?aID=960&OP=anyWords&SF=goldi

Part 2 http://www.csc.ca/news/default.asp?aID=965

Back