• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for Vetran info

Canadian Sig

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. My 9er domestic (who is also a serving member ) is looking for information about her grandfather's service in WW2. Here's the problem; she only has his name and unit. He was ( she is fairly sure ) in the Nova Scotia Highlanders. She does'nt have his service number or anything and really has had zero luck looking for info on the net. So she has asked if anyone out there might have any idea of where she should turn next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers  :salute:

There is this forum:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,8.0.html

If you have any photos, perhaps someone here can identify the uniform and/or badges.

If she can find his Service Number and Unit, she can make inquiries at the Public Archives of Canada, where all that documentation rests (and where all our current documentation will eventually rest).

Other places that may be of assistance are the Legion, Veterans Affairs, and the Unit Historian (if she knew the Unit).

Thank you for the advice. I have sent an e-mail to the unit she thinks he was in (Nova Scotia Highlanders) in hopes that they have a unit historian who can help. The government considers the file as being protected under the privacy act, and he has only been dead for 5 years so they remain sealed. Legion is the next step I believe ( we both need to go become members anyway). Once again thanks.  :salute:

hello there I am Arty_4's Domestic 9er.  Anyways I am also doing reasearch on my family's war history and have found these websites very helpful.  I hope that I am not sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.  I am sorry If i am.  But I was using this site to see if there was anything here about my family as well.

I have only been researching the First world war for soldiers, there doesn't seem to be a lot on the Archives of Canada for WW2.
Here is the link for them...http://www.collectionscanada.ca/index-e.html

Secondly, if you go to http://legion.ca/asp/docs/home/home_e.asp they have a message board there where thousands of people from all over Canada are looking for lost relatives as well.  Try posting a message!

Thirdly I know there is a number for the Archives of Canada, where you can call and get their service record sent to you. You will need their name and unit, and also a credit card.  This phone number is on the archives site somewhere.

Lastly, when all else fails, Go to Google and put in the name of the person you are looking for.  If there were any newsreports, or any mention of him anywhere that should find it. I have found actual letters from people my grandfather was billeted with in WW1 writing home to his parents.

I hope this helps, Good Luck in your search.  It is a very painstaking process, as well as frustrating.

Might I be so bold as to recommend Mr. Arnold Kay in your search. He is a professional researcher for people looking for records on Canadian military and RCMP members. His email is:

akay@comnet.ca

I use his services in my medal business. His prices are reasonable (about 30 bucks) and he needs surprisingly little info to do his stuff. Good luck in your search.

Peter

Back