• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LSVW Course

BDTyre

Reaction score
I am confirmed on an LSVW course running on weekends and starting next month, running until...January?  February?  Something like that.  What is covered on the LSVW course - I've heard conflicting things regarding whether or not Milcots are taught.  It would be nice, since my unit has one LSVW and I've never seen it used.

You'll write the Driver Information Test, and a provincial supplement test and complete a 2 day defensive driving course. Then you'll start by learning a lot of the DND driver regulations, followed by the parts/maintenance of the LSVW, then finally driving.

The milcot is now covered by the A1 classification on your 404s (DND's drivers license), which you can get simply by completing Defensive driving, and the 2 written tests and having a full provincial license (G in Ontario).

I should have pointed out - the day before the LSVW courses starts, I'm on the DDC.  So once I'm done the LS course, I'm qualified for Milcot as well?

PuckChaser said:
... The milcot is now covered by the A1 classification on your 404s (DND's drivers license), which you can get simply by completing Defensive driving, and the 2 written tests and having a full provincial license (G in Ontario).

- You don't by chance have a reference for that, do you?

MILCOTS have qualification code C52 on your 404's so if there is a change seeing the reference would be good.

PuckChaser said:
The milcot is now covered by the A1 classification on your 404s (DND's drivers license), which you can get simply by completing Defensive driving, and the 2 written tests and having a full provincial license (G in Ontario).
dangerboy said:
MILCOTS have qualification code C52 on your 404's so if there is a change seeing the reference would be good.

PuckChaser

I think you have it all wrong, having just done the test a few months ago.  It is not a "gimme" like S/C or Panel Van.  You need to be qualified on the vehicle and complete a Road Test.  People who have 404's for other SMP vehicles usually get a quick "Conversion Crse" and do a Road Test. 

I will agree with dangerboy  and TCBF and ask you for a reference.

CanadianTire said:
....... So once I'm done the LS course, I'm qualified for Milcot as well?

Short answer:     NO.

You need to do a separate course.

George Wallace said:
PuckChaser

I think you have it all wrong, having just done the test a few months ago.  It is not a "gimme" like S/C or Panel Van.  You need to be qualified on the vehicle and complete a Road Test.  People who have 404's for other SMP vehicles usually get a quick "Conversion Crse" and do a Road Test. 

I will agree with dangerboy  and TCBF and ask you for a reference.

When I had my 404s renewed, I asked my transport section why Milcot was missing off the 404. I was told that it was now classed as A1, since it is similar to driving a pickup truck. When I get to work on Monday, I'll ask if there's a reference.

PuckChaser said:
When I had my 404s renewed, I asked my transport section why Milcot was missing off the 404. I was told that it was now classed as A1, since it is similar to driving a pickup truck. When I get to work on Monday, I'll ask if there's a reference.

Please do.  It could be a case that your Tpt NCO is unqualified for the job and giving out "illegal" 404's; and that would have serious ramifications on your Unit.

PuckChaser said:
Are you sure you're not confusing the Milcot with the civvie pattern extendacab?

Back