• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mailroom, Borden, Ont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

govenor_mac

Inactive
Reaction score
Why is it such a problem for recipients to get their mail in Borden? I know of three letters that never made it to my son. And... yes ...the address was correct. He said many don't get their mail. Whats up? Who can a person complain to? I sent a parcel express ($30)and he was to get it in three days guaranteed and he got it on the fifth day. I traced it and it did get to Base Borden on time but it took two days to get to my son who is in Base Borden. Its very frustrating  to say the least.

Don't mean to be rude but did you think that maybe there is more important things going on there than making sure the world stops for a parcel?

Well look at it this way......If you were anxiously waiting to get an important parcel that meant alot to you wouldn't your nose be a bit out of joint? Naw...probably not.

Gentlemen, there's no need to raise hackles over this.

The problem is that there is a long way from the Base Borden Post Office to a course candidates' hands.  That parcel or letter would have to progress as follows:

- sorting by the Post office into unit mailbags
- pickup by unit (move to new building)
- sorting by unit into Company mail boxes
- pickup by Company Orderly Room staff  (possibly including a move to new building)
- sorting into platoon/course mail boxes
- pickup by course staff (possibly including a move to new building)
- sorting and delivery to course candidates by whatever mechnism, or whatever timing, they have chosen to be most efficient

Any of these stages could be slowed by staff shortages (leave, courses, manning shortfalls, etc.) ; time of day (offices do close at the end of the day); course activities , etc., etc.

I paid extra to have a parcel delivered in a few days to an address in Calgary.  I tracked the parcel.  It left Ottawa and was in Calgary the next day.  It sat in Calgary for three days before being delivered.....and Canada Post has yet to send me a notice indicating it was delivered.  I got an email from the girls that I sent it to, and I hope that they put it to good use during Stampede.  So don't complain about the Base Borden Mail Room when Canada Post can't even get their act together......just adding to Base Borden Mail Room's grief.....

DND mail is notoriously slow to begin with.  When I was in Deutchland umping a fall ex I sent mail home via Luftpost and it took less than a week to get to Victoria.  The letters my ex sent me via the DND overseas address took 3 weeks+ to reach me.  ::)

governor_mac,

There are very few CF Postal workers. Those that we do have, are entitled to the same as everyone else, 8 hr days M-F. We also don't have anyone that goes around delivering door to door. Your son is likely on course? When the Course Admin NCO can get over to the Post Office, amongst all his other duties, he does. Then he waits like everyone else to receive all the mail for the course. Upon his return, he sorts it by Section and when one of the Section NCO's arrive, it gets passed to him. Once the Section NCO can get everyone he is responsible for together, at one time, in one place he hands out the mail along with everything else. Shit happens, the truck is late, someone is sick, there's more important things like military stuff happening, I'm sure you get the picture now. As much as we'd like to make the world stop so we can cater to individuals, we can't. The guys fighting in Afghanistan are waiting 6-8 weeks in some instances for mail. I'm sure little Johnny, safe and secure in his shack in Borden can wait a couple of days. Hope that makes things a little more realistic for you.

BTW, I just sent two identical parcels last week, same cost, same time, same package and contents. The one going to Nanaimo, on Van Island has already arrived, according to the tracking number the one for Calgary hasn't left Kingston sorting station.

Life's a bitch, eh?

Yes, A couple of days is fine but NOT to receive three letters since April......come on. SLACK!

govenor_mac said:
Yes, A couple of days is fine but NOT to receive three letters since April......come on. SLACK!

Sign up....become a postal clerk.............show them how its done, otherwise, IMHO, sum up !!

govenor_mac said:
How much of that time was he in Borden in the Quarters, and how much of it was he in the Field, possibly in Meaford?  There are many hands and levels, as Michael has pointed out, through which mail passes.  Was the Mail in fact in Borden, or in a Canada Post Office in Barrie, miles away?  

Too many factors involved.  

Thank you George for your first reply. I wish others wouldnt get their knickers in a twist. You answered me very candidly and I thank you.

Has it come in fact that may be that you son may of have changed courses. IE BMQ to SQ.

Or I know in the shacks that the mail address posted can be different then what the instructors hand out to the students with CFSAL.

I just left Borden a few weeks ago, and that was one thing I noted. Yes (not to rub in your face) I got 3 pieces of mail while I was there, but I got them all at the same time. So it may be at the unit lines itself.

I hope your problem gets sorted out as soon as it can.
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Cheers,
TN2IC

Many thanks. It's just something else a person will just have to live with. By the way he has been in Borden and on base since April. No harm done. I tend to 'jump the gun' so to speak.. ..when things don't go right. The humidity for sure.

I've much the same problem with the mail since I started here in Borden.  It seems that the solution is to insist that the senders use the entire address

(name and unit/school)
(street address, IE 633 Dieppe Road)
PO Box 1000, Station Main    (very important that they include both PO box and station)
Borden, ON, L0M 1C0

It usually confuses the other person, especially if I'm trying to sort them out over the phone, but once they get it, I get my mail.

Bills and all. :p

At this time one of my secondary duties is to pick up and drop off the mail twice a day.  I have to pick it up and then deliver it to the sections who also have most of their administrative staff on leave.  As I'm a dedicated and on the ball soldier, I try and get it right to an individual, not dump it into an 'in' box that someone may not check for days on end.

If the 'base locator' the posties are using is not current then the letters and parcels have addresses crossed out and 'not here' written all over it.

I've worked very closely with posties and know that they, like all good trades people, take pride in their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back