• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Security Operations Centres is opened in Halifax

Navalsnpr

Inactive
Reaction score
Courtesy of CTV.CA

New security agency launched in port of Halifax

160_ops_centre1_050406.jpg

New security agency launched in port of Halifax
CTV.ca News Staff

A new national security agency has launched operations in Halifax, involving six Canadian departments and agencies and the U.S. Coast Guard.

Previously, only Canadian military personnel had access to the facility that monitored every ship traveling through the Canada Atlantic waters or scheduled to enter Canada. It would keep an eye on about 500 ships a day.

Now the RCMP, Coast Guard Search and Rescue, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Border Security Agency are involved in what was formerly and exclusively a Navy operation.

The interagency Marine Security Operations Centres (MSOCs) was established a year ago by the federal government, as part of an overhaul of national security policy. The team is expected to work with the U.S. Coast Guard as well.

The centre began operation in January, and while the mandates of the individual agencies haven't changed, they will be working together in one place.

When an emergency arises, the response is determined by the responsible agency. However, according to a story on the National Defence website, a contingency plan is in place to prevent any possible inter-agency squabbling:

"In the event of any arising crisis, operational control of all necessary government fleet vessels and assets will be transferred to DND, through the Navy, ensuring that there is no delay in government reaction to potential or ongoing marine crises."

The government plans to spend $95 million on this and a similar facility in Esquimalt, B.C. over the next five years.

It's a very good investment and I think it's gonna be useful for the Canadian Navy as well as for the US Navy and also good for the police. Many ships go by the maritimes to get in the St-Lawrence river and I think, till the day they announced the creation of this security centre, there was not enough protection of this way. Also, it will permit to help the ships at sea for interesting information that they probaby don't have. What do you think?

NAVY  :cdn: :salute:

It is good that they have done this, you can never be too careful in a post 9-11 world. I am curious if there was a lot of pressure from the US to do this, my guess would be that there was.

Back