• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medals on the Left - Australian War Memorial

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
The Australian War Memorial released a song talking about the problem of female ADF/ex-ADF members wearing their medals and getting told that they were wearing their husband/father/brother's (normally worn on the right chest). 

Good idea, but I'll let you decide about the execution.  It's an earworm for sure  :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SoztdOtY0

Dimsum said:
The Australian War Memorial released a song talking about the problem of female ADF/ex-ADF members wearing their medals and getting told that they were wearing their husband/father/brother's (normally worn on the right chest). 

Good idea, but I'll let you decide about the execution.  It's an earworm for sure  :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SoztdOtY0

Good video. Sad to see that comments are disabled and dislikes outnumber likes by 5 to 1.

:subbies:

Wouldn't a current serving member be in uniform when they wore their medals ???  I don't know about anyone else but...I don't put mine in my jacket or hoody when I'm not in uniform.

Wouldn't it be easier for ex-ADF members to just say "actually, I served in *branch name* for *# of years*, these are my medals" to whoever question it?  Seems a little easier than the whole song and dance thing...how much of a problem is it over there to warrant this?

Eye In The Sky said:
Wouldn't a current serving member be in uniform when they wore their medals ???  I don't know about anyone else but...I don't put mine in my jacket or hoody when I'm not in uniform.

Wouldn't it be easier for ex-ADF members to just say "actually, I served in *branch name* for *# of years*, these are my medals" to whoever question it?  Seems a little easier than the whole song and dance thing...how much of a problem is it over there to warrant this?

The Australian Army doesn't allow its members (or didn't) to go to the pub after ANZAC Day ceremonies in uniform.  So, they do the Dawn Service and march in uniform, then change into a suit (or similar) for the pub.  They wear their medals on their suit jacket - actually, the first time I've heard of replica medals was when seemingly everyone in the ADF wore them on ANZAC Day as they expect them to be lost/trashed afterwards.

As for why, on ANZAC Day everyone who had relatives serve will wear their medals on the right side (below the nametag spot if in uniform) so it's a sea of medals out there.  I can see some misogynistic morons seeing ex-ADF female members in civies wearing their own medals and getting told "mate, your husbands/father's medals are supposed to be on the right" after a drink or 10.  Then again, the Aus Army still doesn't allow women in combat arms roles...

Eye In The Sky said:

Yes it should be so easy.  After all, the Australian male (of a certain age?) is world renowned for the openness of his heart and his abiding joy at embracing philogyny and feminism; it would only be the odd, strange, old digger who would question a Sheila about her medals - typical of women to take offence. [/sarcasm]

Anzac Day 2018: Female veterans stand up for right to march after medal 'kick in the guts'
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-23/anzac-day-women-veterans-stand-up-for-right-to-march-with-medals/9673352

Anzac Day march in Darwin to be led by women for first time
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-24/women-lead-anzac-day-march-in-darwin-for-first-time/9688918

Gender and medals even gets (sort of) on the Conservative Party platform.

Defence opens medal gender gap
https://www.conservatives.org.au/defence_medal_gender_gap

Liked the music video though.

I had no idea it was that big of an issue down there.  I've worked with a few RAAF exchange Officers, done a few deployments and shared spaces with RAAF units and never noticed or heard of there being a 'divide'.  They all seem like a pretty tight-knit group from the little I've worked with them.

Eye In The Sky said:
I had no idea it was that big of an issue down there.  I've worked with a few RAAF exchange Officers, done a few deployments and shared spaces with RAAF units and never noticed or heard of there being a 'divide'.  They all seem like a pretty tight-knit group from the little I've worked with them.

Most of the issues come from the old retired folks.  The folks I've worked with in all 3 services were, by and large, good people. 

Back