• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) [MERGED]

Greetings!

I am brand new to this forum and could use help from current and past MOTP officers.

My question is regarding the summers during MOTP. The CAF website says med students enrolled in MOTP must work during the summers shadowing a CAF medical officer. However, there are no CAF medical officers in the province where I live.

Does that mean I would be "deployed" during the summer to work at a CAF clinic??

If so, I will have to stay away from my family (wife and 1 year old child) and will have to pay rent during the summer. This is not only a financial burden but it also means I won't have family time at all during the 6 years of medical school.

Could anyone shed some light into this darkness for me?

Cheers!

If you're worried about being away from your family for a few months every summer, how are you going to tolerate 6-9 month deployments overseas once you're fully trained?

306FL306 said:
Greetings!
However, there are no CAF medical officers in the province where I live.

How are there no MOs in the province where you live? There are MOs in every province. Maybe not at every base, but definitely in every province.

paleomedic said:
. . .  There are MOs in every province. Maybe not at every base, but definitely in every province.

Maybe he lives in Prince Edward Island?  Since I would assume that Medical Officers (Reg Force ones that he could shadow in a military practise, anyway) would be located where there are CF medical and dental centres and detachments, if there are no CF Health Services facilities listed for a particular province then the likelihood of an MO being there is low.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/health-support/medical-dental-centers.html
Canadian medical and dental centres
•Alberta
•British Columbia
•Manitoba
•New Brunswick
•Newfoundland and Labrador
•Northwest Territories
•Nova Scotia
•Ontario
•Quebec
•Saskatchewan

306FL306 said:
My question is regarding the summers during MOTP. The CAF website says med students enrolled in MOTP must work during the summers shadowing a CAF medical officer. However, there are no CAF medical officers in the province where I live.

Does that mean I would be "deployed" during the summer to work at a CAF clinic??

If so, I will have to stay away from my family (wife and 1 year old child) and will have to pay rent during the summer. This is not only a financial burden but it also means I won't have family time at all during the 6 years of medical school.
In some medical school programs, the only summers off are between first and second year, and second and third year. During your two year residency training there are no summers off.

So, for two summers you could work at a CF clinic. This should be at no cost to you, as typically your lodgings and meals would be covered. Typically, this should also be the province where you are attending medical school, and maybe even the city (e.g. Halifax, Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, etc).

Maybe one of the medical recruiters here can comment on the specifics of summer employment during the MOTP program, though, and confirm the details.

Didn't realize there was an MOTP thread within the RMC, ROTP board.

While in Medical School (years 1-4) typically BMOQ and HSO SOC are completed; sometimes some OJT opportunities are there.  Once residency starts it's no longer on a 1-Sep to 30-April time frame as most residencies start in July.  So in year 4 of Med School there's only 2 months between school and residency and during that time there are exams to be completed.

Being that this is after the recruitment process it's really outside the perview of a Recruiter what someone would do, but being that I'm heavily involved with the MOTP Surge 2018 campaign I will have a look at all my documents on Monday and provide an non-official informed response.

Back