• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MERGED: Depleted uranium (effects, hunger strike, etc.)

3rd Horseman

Inactive
Reaction score
Last night I watched CTV news, they had a clip on Gulf War syndrome. For me it brought back issues of depleted uranium poisoning problems during that war but specifically for my concern Bosnia. Has anyone out there suspected they have been poisoned with DU or been exposed to it and what effects did it bring on. I have always contended that I was poisoned and have gotten little support from CF med staff on the issue.   I used the search function but found no details on the subject.
Anyone suffering? Any med staff know of testing results?

First off, my sympathies on your poisoning.  You might want to follow up on the BOI held regarding Mike Peace.

However you may recieve more sympathy if you give some.  To paraphrase you-
3rd Horseman said:
Go to the base talk to your supervisors from that time they have no axe to grind they wont lie or cover anything up they will tell you the truth.

Seems like you are not the only person who feels they have not recieved full support from the CF.  Those in glass houses...

Edit: Grammer

Your funny!
  I can only hope that someone on these means has the inside knowledge that I have on AO and can tell the truth on DU like I tried to on AO. The problem is that I have the details on AO and so does several people at Gagetown but it would appear that people on the AO thread don't want to hear anything that deviates from there claim. I can only hope to hear everyones opinion on the subject of DU the difference is I wont get abusive to a member who posts an idea concept or reasonable opinion.

Thanks for the direction on M Peace I will check it out.  
I hope this thread on DU does not get highjacked into an AO discussion.

There is plenty of literature on the web on both the toxic and radiological effects of DU.  On the toxic side, for example, DU tends to cause kidney trouble.  You can compare your own signs and symptoms with what is in the literature.  DU might not be the culprit.

Brad,

It was response to the sarcasm of the 2nd and 3rd post. Long story see AO thread.

So listen there 3rd Horse, maybe you can do us a favour. I'm wondering if it might be easier for you to list the things you haven't done, places you haven't been and things that aren't wrong with you. Might save you a lot of typing, and us alot of reading. The list has definately got to be shorter, given your past posting history. Just a suggestion.

Just a simple DU question,

You served with the 8CH so did I, thats a start.

3rd Horseman says, "I have always contended that I was poisoned and have gotten little support from CF med staff on the issue."  Contentions are one thing - have you been tested for "DU poisoning" - what did the indepedent lab results show?

Circa January 2001 http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=218
To date, 104 veterans of the Gulf War and of Balkan peacekeeping operations have requested this testing. The tests have found no evidence of increased uranium levels among CF members of either the Gulf War or Balkans peacekeeping missions. Levels have been normal and the isotope ratios have been compatible with natural uranium exposure. Although the results of these tests do not support the theory that members were exposed to toxic levels of depleted uranium, we continue to encourage anyone with any concern about possible DU exposure to consult CF medical staff to obtain facts on the issue. Testing will also continue to be offered to all those who request it.

Gunner,

Yes I was tested after years of requests. The result showed elevated levels of the isotope but within the Canadian max limit for a uranium miner or person who lived in a uranium mine area. Further testing was done and the results never arrived back into my file. I don think that was on purpose at least I hope not. Furthermore on results elevated levels are after (in my case) some 7 years, with a half life calculation and 98% being pissed out of the body in the first 48 hours the level of contamination at exp[osure is massive. So in a nutshell the CF testing is not that accurate an the results are skewed. 
  Heres the problem with the past testing that I know. The testing for the DU isotope in the Balkan vets was only offered to the Croatian guys who were near to or with the unit that worked with the bauxite tailings. It was expanded to others from that theatre but refused for the Bosnia vets. The BOI that was done was for Croatia not for Bosnia. I got my testing done after much aggravation and proving that I was in Croatia for part of my mission, but not for the Bosnian mission.
  Problem with Cdn testing for DU is that they only test for DU isotope not the enriched isotope (plutonium) reason being they don't believe that plutonium was in the DU ammo as DU is uranium that has been depleted of those isotopes. Issue being that US war stocks appear to have had trace elements of plutonium which suggests nuc reactor fuel rods (reactor waste) were used as projectiles not actual DU or a mix. So you may have a trace amount of DU acceptable in the Cdn society but you wont know how much if any plutonium you have in you a far site worse.

I'd like to know where you think you may have been exposed to DU. You didn't gun or handle it. You certainly weren't hit by it. So what makes you think you were exposed to it, or entitled to a claim because of it.

Since 2001 DU testing has been available thru CF/VAC for absolutley anyone and everyone who has ever served in the CF, it has not been mission specific.  DU can be tested for in bone and hair samples as well.  The bone sample is much more invasive as I am sure you could appreciate.  The CF does not do the testing it is done by independent labs who specialize in this area through a contract.

Trace ammounts of plutonium?  Sure, they're there, but for you to have any significant ammount of plutonium in your system, the ammount of uranium in you would have to be through the roof.  That's what "trace ammount" means.

48th
    My family doc does not know too complicated for his interest, VAC does not know because I have  not claimed for it, they would know indirectly as it is in my med files.
Recce guy,
    DU was used extensively in Bosnia during the last phases of the war, I was on the ground conducting supported attacks by aircraft firing DU into targets we were attacking and fighting through. Some of the heaviest concentrations of DU in the world are in specific target areas of Bosnia.

I am aware you cannot get DU poisoning through the handling of projectiles it can only come from inhaling the dust particles in the target area an example would be burning tanks, bunkers. This is why most Gulf War tested personnel show no sighns of the poisoning since they were no were near the front line and handling the ammo (navy) is safe.

3rd Horseman said:
     DU was used extensively in Bosnia during the last phases of the war, I was on the ground conducting supported attacks by aircraft firing DU into targets we were attacking and fighting through. Some of the heaviest concentrations of DU in the world are in specific target areas of Bosnia.

anim_bs2.gif

I am aware you cannot get DU poisoning through the handling of projectiles it can only come from inhaling the dust particles in the target area an example would be burning tanks, bunkers. This is why most Gulf War tested personnel show no sighns of the poisoning since they were no were near the front line and handling the ammo (navy) is safe.

So as a deep reconaissance FAC - you crawled around shot out enemy vehicles to do military tourism?

3rd Horseman said:

Pardon? WTF? I wish I had Kevin's BS flag icon, cause I'd run 'er right up the pole here.

Someone has to do this I guess and I suppose it has to be me...

3rd Horseman.

Alott of what you say and have said is becoming more and more highly suspect with the DS staff and other senior members here.

Given your (known and proven) service record I fail to see why you need to exagerate or embelish your accomplishments to us or anyone else.

Please take the time to consider the long term effects of distorting the facts or your experiences on this or any other military site. Please belive me when I say that word gets around. This is a small army and, at the end of the day, much can be verified. The net does not provide the amount of security and anonymousness that you probably think it does.

Ball's in your court.

Slim
STAFF

Back